    Excel and Powerpoint. I'd have thought that Office 365 Home Premium was it
    but that's $165 *per year*, or $16 per month, according to
    office.microsoft.com. Ouch. Any ideas? I use FOSS software myself.

    John Little, Apr 6, 2014

  2. John Little

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    The online version is free?
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-office-online-suite-lets-you-work-online-for-free/
    https://www.office.com/start/default.aspx

    Else pay's your money or use LibreOffice?

    Malcolm, Apr 6, 2014

  3. The easiest way is for them to work for an organisation that has paid for the
    "MS at home" thing (think that's what they call it ?). That way you can get a
    download for a few $$ with all the things you need for as long as they work
    there.

    That typed, try the open office/libre office versions first and get out from
    under MS. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 7, 2014
  4. John Little

    John Little Guest

    Yes, I'll be exploring that possibility, thank you.

    John Little, Apr 7, 2014
  5. John Little

    John Little Guest

    Outlook is the main stated requirement, unfortunately.

    John Little, Apr 7, 2014
  6. John Little

    Your Name Guest

    You could buy Outlook separately and use one of the free Office-style
    options for everything else. It really depends on how compatible they
    need to be with work using proper Microsoft Office (i.e. simple
    documents could use anything, but complex documents or Access databases
    will need the proper Microsoft Office software).

    Your Name, Apr 7, 2014
  7. John Little

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Thunderbird with IMAP and the Lightning add on might still meet the needs.
    Sometimes people who say they "need" something don't "require" it.
    However, not a big deal if they are going to pay either way for your
    services.

    Dave Taylor, Apr 7, 2014
  8. John Little

    Enkidu Guest

    I can't see any reason for that other than that they want to connect to
    Exchange.

    The only thing worse than Outlook is/was Groupwise. Shudder! I still
    have the nightmares!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 7, 2014
  9. John Little

    John Little Guest

    Thanks, all, for your replies.

    My neighbour has a sick laptop running windows XP and has bought a new
    windows 8 desktop. The laptop has Office 2007 installed and she uses
    Outlook a lot for work and personal stuff. She can't (or doesn't want to
    try to) find the install disks for the Office 2007, and if the latest
    version of Office was ~$150, she'd just get it. But $165/yr indefinitely
    doesn't sound so good.

    Via the some Microsoft notice page I see they're pushing Laplink PC mover,
    and the "professional" XP version is cheap at about $NZ30, which claims to
    be able to move apps from XP to windows 8. But the old laptop is 32 bit, and
    the new 64 bit, surely that won't work?

    John Little, Apr 7, 2014
  10. John Little

    Your Name Guest

    <snip>

    There's only a monthly / yearly fee if you want to use the online
    Office 365 version.

    You can still buy normal Office to install. You can probably get them
    cheaper elsewhere, but JB Hi-Fi's prices for example are:

    Microsoft Office 2013 Home & Student, $219
    <http://shop.jbhifi.co.nz/computers-laptops/computer-accessories/microso
    ft-office-2013-home-and-student-1-user/67901>

    Microsoft Outlook 2013, $199
    <http://shop.jbhifi.co.nz/computers-laptops/computer-accessories/microso
    ft-office-outlook-2013-1-user/67905>

    OR there's Microsoft Office 2013 Home & Business (which includes
    Outlook), $399
    <http://shop.jbhifi.co.nz/computers-laptops/computer-accessories/microso
    ft-office-2013-home-and-buisness-1-user/67902>

    Your Name, Apr 7, 2014
  11. Why not just copy the users files from the old system to the new ? Unless they
    have a big HD on the old laptop system (unlikely ? :) ), you could use a 16 GB
    stick and probably get the whole lot in one go - 2 at most. :)

    32 vs 64 bit is only important for programs IIRC, not files ... just let the
    OS deal with it ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 7, 2014
  12. John Little

    Your Name Guest

    John is talking about copying the Office applications (Word, Excel,
    etc.) from the old laptop to the new laptop.

    Not really something I'd want to do on a Windows machine - best to
    re-install them from the original discs, which the owner can't find
    (and may never even have had depending on how old the "old" laptop is).

    Your Name, Apr 8, 2014
  13. Ah ... oops. :)

    Agreed. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 8, 2014
  14. John Little

    Your Name Guest

    It's not the only way.

    The original message mentioned a solution that supposedly copies
    applications. I've never heard of it nor used it, so I have no idea how
    good or not a job it does - seems a bit cheap though.

    You could clone a hard drive from one computer to another, although
    that really only works well if it's the same type of computer.

    You can also manually copy an application and all its needed parts from
    one computer to another ... BUT you have to know what you're doing and
    where to look. The exception will be applications that require specific
    hardware drivers and only bother to install what is needed for each
    computer.

    Your Name, Apr 8, 2014