    2- does everything a reg cleaner should do

    i dont mind paying for the app and i dont mind how much the software costs
    as long as its good and compatible, so please dont just post freeware apps

    Guest, Oct 18, 2007

  2. Guest

    Kue2 Guest

    Kue2, Oct 18, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    i have Diskeeper for my hdds all i need is a reg cleaner mate

    Guest, Oct 18, 2007
  4. Guest

    Kue2 Guest

    Kue2, Oct 18, 2007
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hugh:
    The real benefits of using a registry cleaner have long been debated in this
    forum.
    General consensus indicates that there is no advantage in using them.
    :)
    Carlos

    Guest, Oct 18, 2007
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    how can this be mate as a smaller registy will mean less to load and less
    junk means faster pc

    how good is this reg clener from the link below and is it 64bit compatible
    for sure

    Guest, Oct 18, 2007
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    also this is just a reg defrag app not a cleaner

    please carry on helping people i really would like to find a good app soon

    Guest, Oct 18, 2007
  8. Guest

    Morgan Guest

    Morgan, Oct 18, 2007
  9. As Carlos says, the public wisdom here has centered around the feeling that
    few would like nobody but an expert to fiddle with their registry - and
    certainly not software, taking the speed-boost into account and weighing
    that with the risk of the machine not booting afterwards.

    You'll gain more from learning the ropes of the Reg. that you'd need most
    yourself.

    And you will gain much faster boot times from disabeling everything in the
    BIOS that you are not using, than a 'clean' reg will. Even a clean reg is
    monstrously huge.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 18, 2007
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    what are the bios things u talk about mate

    Guest, Oct 18, 2007
  11. Guest

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    None. Registry cleaners gain you very little in terms of speed or
    efficiency. Think about it. Your registry isn't being used constantly.
    It is only used sporadically, when a program needs access to a setting,
    which happens mostly when you load an exe file and to a lesser extent,
    while you are running that same software. Do you really think that MS
    Excel (or whatever) is constantly looking at stuff in the registry,
    while you're editing a spreadsheet? Maybe at Excel startup and maybe a
    little during the editing, but that's it.

    The small amount of registry junk that's removed hardly affects the
    overall size of the registry. To me, it's like cleaning cobwebs in your
    attic. And that's assuming you have cobwebs to begin with.

    jabloomf1230, Oct 18, 2007
  12. Guest

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    There are plenty of program which keep poking in the registry to store
    settings for Windows and file-locations. It is not taking a big effect on
    the performance, but it is done.
    It woudln't be a bad idea to clean the broken links from the registry. But
    of course, which can be removed, and which can't?

    What is the opinion of the esteemed peers on a program like XP Repairpro,
    which keeps a database of common errors? Would that be safe to use?

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Oct 18, 2007
  13. Yes, depending on the machine - a notebook might not be configured for much
    extra equipment - but nearly everything has Serial and Paralell connectors
    that are never used. Disable those in your BIOS so it doesn't have to look
    for it when booting.

    Likewise, if you only have SATA or IDE HD's, then disable those you don't
    have - if you can rid your machine of the SATA thing, you may nearly cut
    your boot-time in half on some systems.

    You should read through your BIOS section of the manual and get to know it
    intimately - they are all different. Your machine will reward you for the
    effort! And it will almost certainly complain if you add any new stuff and
    forget to make adjustments. ;0o)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 19, 2007
  14. My guess is, anything that isn't 'poking' and supplies information for
    personal scrutiny will be safe for those who know enough to make good use of
    it. (Not neccesssarily including myself!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 19, 2007
  15. Guest

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Damien.

    The best Vista Ultimate x64 registry cleaner is, without a doubt...: Vista!

    I've been running Ultimate x64 since it "went gold" a year ago (and through
    about a dozen beta builds before that). I've never used a registry cleaner
    on it, and I don't plan to. Yes, I did run such programs back in Win9x
    days, and even in Win2K. But WinXP never needed one, and neither does
    Vista. It maintains its own registry much better than older versions did,
    including removing entries when it uninstalls an application.

    Oh, I well remember the many hours over several years that I whiled away
    with Symantec's fluff-laden updates of Norton's original lean Utilities.
    Those programs delighted in warning me of all kinds of dire consequences if
    I didn't take their advice and eliminate some obsolete pointer to something.
    But, eventually, those subscriptions expired and I didn't renew them.
    Norton Internet Security 2005 was the last one, but they never updated it to
    cover the WinXP x64 that I was running before Vista. I installed Vista
    without any such protection at all - and I've never missed it! So long as
    you "practice safe hex", you probably won't miss them, either. The more you
    use them, the more you have to use them! :>(

    I've seen several horror stories of systems having been screwed up by
    registry cleaners and other such programs. I have yet to see a report of a
    registry cleaner having helped with Vista. Have you seen one?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)

    R. C. White, Oct 19, 2007
  16. None of the above. Seriously. Registry cleaners are pure hooey. Worse, they
    are actively dangerous. They can, and do, break your system. They don't
    solve any problem that needs solving. And they don't really understand
    64-bit. Don't use them and don't encourage others to.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 19, 2007
  17. R. C. - Couldn't agree more. Might as well be buying snake oil for all the
    good it will do. And the risks that it does real harm are in direct
    proportion to how much it actually tries to do. Your best bet is one that
    does nothing. ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 19, 2007