    low cost) newsreader out there for binaries?

    Thanks

    Greg

    greg, Feb 26, 2006

  2. X-No-Archive: YES
    greg [] has entered into testimony
    [email protected]
    40tude is nice... the shitstorm you have probably started
    notwithstanding.

    --

    Skepticult® Member# 581-00504-208
    ChadwickStone at Gmail dot com

    Chadwick Stone©, Feb 26, 2006

  3. I dunno about bins, but for text the best one is the current version of
    Xnews, not a four-year old one. ;)

    What the release names mean, and why the one from last October, not yours
    from 2001, is the one to have: http://blinkynet.net/comp/xnewsrels.html

    Actually, plent of people use Xnews for binaries, too, I think often with
    Hamster as a local serverlet.
    My pleasure.

    If you want to discuss this with news client wizards, hook up with
    news.software.readers. Tell 'em Blinky sent ya. See you there.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 26, 2006
  4. greg

    Roy Guest

    Roy, Feb 26, 2006
  5. Azureus in combination with a bittorrent rss feed :)

    Honestly, usenet news service was never invented for distributing binaries.

    Walter Mautner, Feb 26, 2006
  6. greg

    joevan Guest

    Tried different ones and prefer Agent Forte over them all. Don't know
    what you mean by low cost but then you get what you pay for.

    joevan, Feb 26, 2006
  7. greg

    me Guest

    Same here

    I always come back to Agent for some reason..... even
    with its warts

    me, Feb 26, 2006
  8. greg

    joevan Guest

    I think I see you are using 2.0.
    3.0 is really something. 5 bodies per sec. is pretty cool. Using the
    older agents I had to set up 3 or four different instances of agent to
    get anywhere near the speed I should. Now I can download at 10 to 12
    meg a minute. 3.0 is a free upgrade from 2.0. I guess you know that.

    joevan, Feb 26, 2006
  9. greg

    fred-bloggs Guest

    Newsbinpro is excellent.
    http://www.newsbin.com/

    Grabit is free.
    http://www.shemes.com/

    fred-bloggs, Feb 26, 2006
  10. greg

    greg Guest

    Thanks for all the info, I'm pretty happy with Xnews(even a four year old
    version lol) I just wanted to know what else was out there and try new
    things.

    Thanks

    Greg

    greg, Feb 26, 2006
  11. greg

    elaich Guest

    Xnews is the best. Stick with it.

    elaich, Feb 27, 2006
  12. greg

    Meat Plow Guest

    Meat Plow, Feb 27, 2006
  13. greg

    dLn Guest

    Really depends on what you need. Some readers are geared for downloads but
    some also have reasonbale support for message threading to handle text
    posts. Recently been using Xnews and 40tude Dialog and like both.

    dLn

    dLn, Feb 27, 2006
  14. greg

    Frosty Guest

    Frosty, Feb 28, 2006
  15. greg

    Bud Stein Guest

    Greg,

    An excellent free newsreader is XNews at:

    http://xnews.newsguy.com/

    Bud Stein

    Bud Stein, Feb 28, 2006
  16. From my experience with it, no.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2006
  17. greg

    Whiskers Guest

    You can certainly insert 'custom headers' in Pan.

    Whiskers, Feb 28, 2006
  18. Yes, you can.

    And when I insert an Approved: or Control: header, the post will not send.
    I presumed you wanted Approved: and Control: headers that could make it
    to your server. :) I dont' know, but presume that while you can put in
    any header you like, Pan only really wants to see X- headers; it doesn't
    mind the custom X- headers I use by default.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2006
  19. greg

    Whiskers Guest

    That sounds like a 'bug', then. Could be a 'killer' for some people :((

    Whiskers, Mar 1, 2006