What's happening with Academy DVD Screeners, stateside?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Peter Briggs, Dec 13, 2003.

  1. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    I just wonder, because I'm getting a steady trickle of Region 2 DVDs
    through the postbox. On my "to watch" pile are:

    "21 Grams"
    "Sylvia"
    "Lost In Translation"
    "The Mother"
    "Wondrous Oblivion"

    and

    "Girl With A Pearl Earring" (which I watched last night, and has to be
    one of the poorest period movies I've ever seen: appalling direction,
    poor performances, cliched script, pointless plot, bombastic music, and
    -- worst of all -- terrible cinematography, from the guy who shot "Wings
    Of The Dove", one of the most beautifully photographed films I've ever
    seen.)

    So, is Valenti's R1 Stateside Academy ban still effective?

    Peter Briggs, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Peter Briggs

    Skid Guest

    A court overturned it, based on a challenge from independents who argued
    that the ban gave an unfair advantage to big studio releases that got bigger
    box office. They felt screeners were the only way to get academy members to
    notice their work. That doesn't mean the judge forced anybody to release
    screeners, he just refused to uphold the ban.

    Skid, Dec 13, 2003

  3. Peter Briggs

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Peter Briggs,[email protected]!cinescribe.demon.co.uk says...

    The big studios are sticking to the ban, mostly, and just sending items
    to Academy members and not the guilds. Which sucks. The best reason to
    join the Visual Effects Society was the free DVDs.

    Luckily, I should still get DVDs of good movies and mini series for Emmy
    season.

    Mark Spatny, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Fun, isn't it?

    BTW, Mark. What are you doing these days? Contact me privately, if you
    want. I need to start assembling a VFX crew, and I have one guy from
    Tippett onboard at the moment.

    Peter Briggs, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Peter Briggs

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Peter Briggs wrote in
    Boring. Badly paced melodrama goes nowhere interesting, "insights"
    about Japanese culture are straight out of a can. Will they or won't
    they? Like I care.

    Steve Hanson, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Wonderful. That was the only one I was looking forward to!

    Peter Briggs, Dec 15, 2003
  7. Peter Briggs

    Justin Guest

    It's not a bad movie

    Justin, Dec 15, 2003
  8. Peter Briggs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    You take advice from that guy?

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 16, 2003
  9. Peter Briggs

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote in
    Hey, Peter, you read the messages from this embittered loser?

    Steve Hanson, Dec 16, 2003
  10. Peter Briggs

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Steve Hanson, says...
    Hey, Joshua isn't HALF the embittered loser that I am!!!

    Mark Spatny, Dec 16, 2003
  11. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Oh, I got YOU beat on that score, pal!

    Peter Briggs, Dec 16, 2003
  12. Peter Briggs

    Steve Hanson Guest

    Gee, I don't know, I guess all the scenes showing the characters react
    to odd Japanese customs threw me completely off. Maybe you wandered
    into a different movie in your typical brain-damaged state.

    Steve Hanson, Dec 18, 2003
  13. Peter Briggs

    Jim Fraas Guest

    It failed as a comedy but DID work as a drama with a couple of funny
    moments.

    Jim Fraas, Dec 20, 2003
  14. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    I watched it. Oh. My God. What a painful experience. Every critic
    that waxed lyrical over this needs to be stood in a line, and shot.

    The whole thing read like....well....her father's "New York Stories" Zoe
    episode (which, for the record, I liked) "grown-up". It was simply a
    girl's youthful fantasy of a much older guy (as a "much older guy", I've
    encountered one or two of these), essentially remaining chaste and
    unfulfilled.

    What a crock. What a tone-poem. What a waste of my viewing night.

    I just saw "Seabiscuit" tonight. Don't get me started on that,
    either....

    Peter Briggs, Dec 20, 2003
  15. Peter Briggs

    Larry Lynch Guest

    cinescribe.demon.co.uk>, [email protected]!
    cinescribe.demon.co.uk says...
    I thought the cinematography in Seabiscuit was
    outstanding... sorry about the story though.

    Larry Lynch, Dec 21, 2003
  16. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    It was excellent. Jack Schwartzman's a fantastic cinematographer. But,
    it seemed strangely visually subdued, for him.

    Awful direction. The script meandered all over the place without focus.
    Great performances, though. Bill Macy especially scene-stealing, as
    always. And lovely score.

    Peter Briggs, Dec 21, 2003
  17. Peter Briggs

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    What I just loved about Seabiscuit is that it promotes itself as a story
    of the 'common man' united together by a heroic symbol, when really it
    is just the story of a rich guy who gets richer by exploiting the hopes
    and dreams of the unwashed masses. Truly an inspirational story for the
    current "conservative" political climate.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 21, 2003
  18. Peter Briggs

    Larry Lynch Guest

    cinescribe.demon.co.uk>, [email protected]!
    cinescribe.demon.co.uk says...
    I agree about the direction.. all that talent on the
    screen.. I could just FEEL the director jerking those
    actors out of character, The only one on screen actually
    "being" the character was MACY!!! That had to be the
    directors fault.

    I'de LIKE to say I only bought it because of Jack
    Schwartzman & Bill Macy (I swear I'de watch him read the
    phone book or the want adds) but I had to buy it... for
    the wife, it has HORSES in it.

    My little Photo-service company "Lasting Imagery" is
    named after her favorite (and still current after 7
    years) show horse. Lasting Imagery is actually his
    registered name, and since taking pictures of her on him
    is what got the photo-thing started, I thought it was
    apropriate to apropriate his name!

    Larry Lynch, Dec 21, 2003
  19. Peter Briggs

    damnfine Guest

    Also, STUPID name for a horse... MINBOGGLINGLY STUPID name for a movie.

    damnfine, Dec 22, 2003
  20. Peter Briggs

    Peter Briggs Guest

    Well, I think you're being a bit harsh. Everyone in the movie did a
    sterling acting job. Actually, I wasn't referring to the director
    manipulating the actors, but rather juggling all the balls of the whole
    equation...largely, the failures of the unfocussed script. The
    black-and-white photo montage was cute, but flat-out didn't work. Ken
    Burns does that kind of thing a million times better, and this wasn't a
    Ken Burns movie.
    My best friend in L.A., Wayne Kramer, just directed him in "The Cooler",
    and loved him.
    That's sweet! Nice one, Larry.

    Peter Briggs, Dec 22, 2003