    is filtered in some way?

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Paul

    Atlas Shrugged, Mar 23, 2008

  2. Atlas Shrugged

    PeeCee Guest

    Your news provider can make a lot of difference.
    I use 3 and note this one (currently) has little or no spam in 24hrSH

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 23, 2008

  3. Atlas Shrugged

    dadiOH Guest

    Make your own filter...

    Outlook Express
    Tools
    Message Rules
    News,,,

    Make a rule...
    Where the From Line contains people
    Google
    gmail
    Delete it

    That will get rid of a LOT of the junk but not all.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Mar 23, 2008
  4. You could also read this:
    http://improve-usenet.org/

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 23, 2008
  5. Atlas Shrugged

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Atlas Shrugged.

    Killfile anything from Google Groups. I know it sounds harsh, but it does
    work. Signal to noise ratio from that place is far too low.

    Ponder, Mar 23, 2008
  6. Because you're not doing proper filtering and because you're not using a
    feed that does good filtering. I do those two things. I see no spam
    here.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 23, 2008
  7. Doesn't seem harsh to me. ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 23, 2008
  8. Atlas Shrugged

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Blinky the Shark.

    I know that ;)

    Ponder, Mar 23, 2008
  9. Thanks for telling me what I'm not doing. Can you tell me what I should be
    doing? Who or what does the filtering? How do "I do those two things"? My
    account is newsgroup.comcast.net. How do I change it?

    Thanks for any info.

    Atlas Shrugged, Mar 23, 2008
  10. Thanks. I just did that. Let's see what happens.

    Atlas Shrugged, Mar 23, 2008
  11. I applied the rule and got rid of a lot of crap. I've added several more
    and seem to have made a dent in the trash.
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

    Atlas Shrugged, Mar 23, 2008
  12. Atlas Shrugged

    dadiOH Guest

    You can do your own filtering in your mail program. Other more
    dedicated news reading programs have much more flexibility.
    Additionally, many news servers filter out at least some of the SPAM.

    The news server you have is via your ISP but there are many others.
    Some are free but the better ones charge a monthly fee.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=news+server

    This is a very good, inexpensive one but it does not host
    binaries...that means no porn, no MP3s, no pictures, etc.
    http://www.news.individual.net/

    You can read all Microsoft news groups by making a new account in OE
    in "News" and using "#news.microsoft.com" for the account name on the
    server tab. Check "Required to log in" too. On second look, I am not
    sure the account name should have the "#"...my antivirus messes with
    that stuff. Try it with and without, one will work.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Mar 23, 2008
  13. You're welcome.
    Yes. Filtering.
    Who I said should: you and your feed.
    Subscribe to a better one. Here's a freebie that seems to filter well:
    http://news.motzarella.com Here's one that costs about a dollar a month,
    and I *know* filters well because it's my primary feed: http://
    news.individual.net

    And add your own filtering to the better-filtered feed. Killing Google
    Groups posts will do wonders. See link in my sig. No, don't just look at
    it; follow it.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 24, 2008
  14. Bad advice. You want to filter Google Groups posts, not gmail posts. And
    you're not going to filter GG posts via the From header.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 24, 2008
  15. Atlas Shrugged

    Dan C Guest

    Try asking the person who ties your shoelaces for you in the morning. Or,
    perhaps the person who holds your hand while walking you to the schoolbus
    stop. One of them will probably know.
    Welcome.

    Dan C, Mar 24, 2008
  16. You should be wary of offering unsolicited opinions out of fear for what the
    person reading your opinion really thinks of you and your opinion.

    Atlas Shrugged, Mar 24, 2008
  17. Atlas Shrugged

    Rôgêr Guest

    Every reply by Dan C is always an insult to someone. He has no other
    mode to operate in. Must be a thrilling life hanging out in the shadows
    waiting to tell someone how stupid he thinks they are.

    Rôgêr, Mar 24, 2008
  18. Atlas Shrugged

    dadiOH Guest

    Want to guess how many gmail users also use Google Groups?

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Mar 24, 2008
  19. I don't' have to. The last time I took a look at a highly spammed
    group with my filters disengaged so I could have a look at the spam
    there, only about 60% or so of the GG spam (the real problem) was
    showing gmail addresses. So one could filter on GG and get all of
    them or on gmail and get just over half. The math points to doing
    it the right way.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 24, 2008
  20. Atlas Shrugged

    Lookout Guest