    me Guest

    It seems that many newsgroups are crossposted to this one. Is the news
    server or what?

    me, Feb 8, 2005

  2. me

    Rudy Benner Guest

    Just ignore the flies.

    Rudy Benner, Feb 8, 2005

  3. me

    Big Bill Guest

    It's an idiot who seems to have discovered that he can do things
    others don't like, just to mess things up, without taking any
    responsibility for it. I grew up calling these people cowards.
    Anyway, Google for the original, and look at the headers. You'll see
    that Google is being used to post the original posts, and followups
    are set to RPD and another photo group. Thus, any responses from the
    original newsgroup go to the other newsgroups, and don't show up in
    the original newsgroup.
    Google won't do anything about it. The newsgroups are one of the last
    bastions of true anarchy.
    The best thing to do is what you'd do to any OT post; ignore it. These
    people are fed by the responses they generate; starve 'em out.

    Big Bill, Feb 8, 2005
  4. Ignoring it is why up to 90% of e-mail is spam. Fight it. Forward all
    of the crosspost attacks to Google. Ask your news admin to aggressively
    filter Google until they secure their Usenet gateway.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Feb 9, 2005
  5. me

    Lionel Guest

    It's our mentally-disturbed porno-troll forging crossposts to this group
    from all over Usenet - again.

    Lionel, Feb 9, 2005
  6. me

    Big Bill Guest

    Filter Google?
    Have you any idea of how many people use Google responsibly?
    "Cut off your nose to spite your face."
    What, exactly, do you expect Google to do? I mean, exactly? How do you
    filter this activity without filtering a lot more legimate activity?
    These idiots thrive on the feedback they get. The more complaints they
    see, the more they pile it on. It's the way they work; they aren't
    normal. Ignore them, they starve.

    Big Bill, Feb 9, 2005
  7. me

    Harvey Guest

    [...]
    You don't - that's the whole point. Once others get to know how easy it is
    to use Google to disrupt newsgroups, there'll be no other way BUT to
    blanket-filter Google groups.
    But then others come along, and do the same, and then others, and more; and
    more; and more....This is just the tip of the iceberg if Google allow
    unrestricted free and unaccountable access - had any email spam recently?

    Harvey, Feb 9, 2005
  8. me

    mechdan Guest

    Google Groups could refuse to post an article where the
    Followup-to: newsgroups isn't a subset of the To: newsgroups.
    Is there any legitimate reason to set a followup to a
    newsgroup which your article isn't posted to? I don't think
    so.

    If you're attempting to migrate a discussion to a more
    appropriate newsgroup, you'd post your own article to that
    new newsgroup. For example, suppose a question about goldfish
    is posted to alt.salmon. You'd forward the discussion by
    posting to both alt.goldfish and alt.salmon, setting the
    followups to alt.goldfish.

    Another thing that Google Groups could do is prepend a warning
    to any post with Followup-to: set to anything other than the
    To: newsgroups. This warning could look something like:

    WARNING!
    WARNING! FOLLOWUPS SET TO REC.PHOTO.DIGITAL, REC.PHOTO.35MM
    WARNING!

    With this warning in place, anyone posting a followup
    reply would know something was unusual.

    Google Groups already has some anti-spam restrictions, like
    not accepting a posting to more than 5 newsgroups.

    Isaac Kuo

    mechdan, Feb 9, 2005
  9. me

    Bill Rude Guest

    If google doesn't allow their user to set the "follow up to:" field to anything
    except the group they're posting to that would end a lot of it.

    Bill Rude, Feb 9, 2005
  10. me

    Big Bill Guest

    You guys are asking for the end of Followups; you know that, don't
    you?

    Big Bill, Feb 9, 2005
  11. me

    Confused Guest

    There is a world wide attack in progress on an international
    on-line conference. It will pass soon, and possibly one of the guys
    in white hats will track me back, figure something out, and put a stop
    to it before it gets worse. Don't worry though, it will pass soon.

    Just ignore it, this is not the only usenet (or other type)
    forum being flooded with crap. Google and Yahoo won't help because
    they are tracking it for the authorities (or being used by same, which
    is a chicken vs egg "who came first" kind of thing...at our expense).

    Jeff

    Confused, Feb 9, 2005
  12. me

    Confused Guest

    Oh, one other thing. The FBI used to, but does not now, care about
    this type of Denial of Service attack anymore. Best advice:

    ignore the trolls
    ignore the computer generated posts
    ignore any seeming attacks

    Jeff

    Confused, Feb 9, 2005
  13. me

    Owamanga Guest

    It's a form of terrorism on a westernized social network. The
    Department of Home Security should care about this.

    Google is evil for allowing these posts to originate from their
    network.

    Owamanga, Feb 10, 2005
  14. me

    Owamanga Guest

    When do you *need* this feature?

    (...other then when you are trying to terrorize netzians?)

    Owamanga, Feb 10, 2005
  15. Not at all.

    All they are saying is that the follow-up field is automatically set to
    only the newsgroup that the post is being posted to. Also, limiting the
    number of newsgroups that a post can be posted to to 2 or 3.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 10, 2005
  16. me

    Big Bill Guest

    There's a *needs* test? :)

    Big Bill, Feb 10, 2005
  17. I think that you don't understand that it isn't necessary for anyone at
    Google to read any post, in order for the followup newsgroup to be
    automatically set to the newsgroup from where the post is originating.

    Actually I think you do understand this, you're just being obnoxious.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 10, 2005
  18. me

    Jack Zeal Guest

    Or how about only between groups with some close relation in title.
    There's a legitimate reason sometimes to post to a few closely related
    groups-- i. e. when a single topic gets fragmented.
    (misc.transport.rail.* has several regional groups)

    A probability-of-spam score may be done based on cross-posting, the
    complaints recieved of spam (both texts and users). High enough ones
    could get rejected.

    I could see (based on posters and content analysis), a "relative
    similarity" index for groups (rec.photo.digital is probably fairly close
    to rec.photo.35mm, but miles from alt.fan.dragons) to see if
    crossposting's likely beneficial.

    Jack Zeal, Feb 10, 2005
  19. : Or how about only between groups with some close relation in title.
    : There's a legitimate reason sometimes to post to a few closely related
    : groups-- i. e. when a single topic gets fragmented.
    : (misc.transport.rail.* has several regional groups)

    You are talking about multiple problems. If a message is crossposted to
    multiple groups (related or not) that is one problem. But the problem
    being discussed is the setting of "followup to" to a group that is not
    included in the original groups. Thus a message from a google account (or
    any other ISP) with an improper followup setting would spam the
    unsuspecting group (like this one) with all the replys while the
    instigating message remains "innocently" off the spammed group. So if a
    requirement that the Followup setting must be at least a portion of the
    Groups line would ensure that malicious postings could be traced to the
    instigator easier.

    : A probability-of-spam score may be done based on cross-posting, the
    : complaints recieved of spam (both texts and users). High enough ones
    : could get rejected.

    : I could see (based on posters and content analysis), a "relative
    : similarity" index for groups (rec.photo.digital is probably fairly close
    : to rec.photo.35mm, but miles from alt.fan.dragons) to see if
    : crossposting's likely beneficial.

    Computers are dumb. There would have to be a massive undertaking to
    collect a database of "similarities" between all the newsgroups. And the
    comparison of any posted message to all the possible crossover subjects
    would take a huge amount of computing when you concider the huge number of
    postings made each hour.

    So I suspect that a relational check is not likely to ever be done. But a
    broad "no more than 3 groups in a single posting" and a "followup must be
    at least a subset of the groups line" rule would reduce the problem. I am
    not so silly to believe that all malicious postings will be eliminated
    with these rules, but it would make it less easy and thus less prevalent.

    JMHO

    Randy

    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL