What's best for resizing images for printing?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Birk Binnard, Aug 10, 2003.

  1. Birk Binnard

    Birk Binnard Guest

    There are 2 approaches for resizing an image for printing:

    1. Crop the original image to the same aspect ratio as the printed image,
    specify the size of the image the printer is supposed to print, and then let
    the printer driver manage all the necessary interpolation and pixel
    generation itself.

    2. Crop the original image to the same aspect ratio as the printed image and
    then use some sort of interpolation method to set the exact size and pixel
    density desired for printing; then print the resulting image exactly as is,
    without relying on the printer driver to do anything other than transfer the
    image pixels to paper.

    I've been using method 1 with good success on my Epson 1280. The 1280
    printer driver is a very complex piece of software with lots of neat-o
    printing options that are not explained in any detail. But it produces
    dazzling results, so I wasn't too bothered by not knowing what's really
    going on.

    Then I started reading about resampling algorithms. Clearly there's a lot
    to these things, and it occurred to me that perhaps some of the more
    sophisticated ones might be able to produce better results than the Epson
    1280 printer driver.

    Has anyone done any evaluation of these different approaches? Is there a
    general perception that one approach is better?

    Birk Binnard, Aug 10, 2003

  2. Best bet is to try it with YOUR printer and YOUR image files.

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 10, 2003