  1. Keikan

    Keikan Guest

    What is an .sfv file?

    Keikan, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Keikan

    Mcploppy © Guest

    Mcploppy ©, Apr 18, 2004

  3. Keikan

    Guest Guest

    It contains a list of files and checksums computed from the original
    copies of these files. A checksum is computed by using every single
    byte in the original file, so just changing one bit in one byte of the
    file will result in a different checksum being computed.

    Normally used to verify that files have been received correctly as, if
    you recompute the checksum of the files you have received, the new
    checksums will match the checksums of the original if the files have
    been received error-free.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2004
  4. Keikan

    Jonah Guest

    Do you mean a .CSV file?  In which case this is a comma separated value file.  I sort of list with a comma after each item.

    Keikan wrote: What is an .sfv file?

    Jonah, Apr 18, 2004
  5. Keikan

    Boomer Guest

    Please post in plain text.

    Thank you.

    Boomer, Apr 18, 2004
  6. Keikan

    Richard Guest

    A checksum file usually generated with the old winrar program.
    Originally, winrar required the "SFV" file to decode the packed files.
    But now that's no longer needed.

    It was used to determine if the part file is corrupt or not.

    Richard, Apr 18, 2004
  7. Keikan

    Hactar Guest

    Well yeah, but a checksum is quite short, and there are only
    2^(checksum bits) unique checksums while there are 2^(file bits) unique
    files of the same length, therefore there must be at least
    2^(file bits)/2^(checksum bits) = 2^(file bits - checksum bits) (I think)
    files of the same length that have the same checksum.

    Hactar, Apr 30, 2004
  8. Keikan

    toyalP2 Guest

    toyalP2, May 4, 2004