    IVP?

    thanks,
    IanO

    IanONet, Jul 18, 2006

  2. IanONet

    Evan Platt Guest

    Ok, so I assume you're using a Mac of some sort. And you're installing
    quicktime.

    Do you know the 'file' you're playing has sound?

    On the PC QuickTime, there's a Output option for sound. See if
    something similar exists on the MAC Quicktime, and try changing that.

    Evan Platt, Jul 18, 2006

  3. IanONet

    Margolotta Guest

    How the hell did you draw that conclusion? Because he happened to mention
    Apple? I'd stake a very large amount that he's running Windows. On a PC. Mac
    users tend to know that "itunes" [sic] is spelt with a small 'i' and a
    capital 'T'.

    Congratulations, Sherlock.
    Mac (please note spelling; MAC is an acronym, standing for, depending on
    context, either Media Access Control or Migration Authorisation Code)
    versions are the same.

    Margolotta, Jul 18, 2006
  4. IanONet

    Whiskers Guest

    I'd assume not:

    rv:1.8.0.4) Gecko/20060508
    Firefox/1.5.0.4,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)

    snip

    If we knew what the file was, someone here might be able to take a look
    and see if it works for them.

    Whiskers, Jul 18, 2006
  5. IanONet

    IanONet Guest

    Thanks for all the replies!

    As you suspected, I now believe that the file had no sound. Some years
    ago Marshal McLuhan(sp) wrote that the medium is the message. So when I
    saw a movie, my brain concluded that it was supposed to have sound. I
    mean if there was no sound, why not just use a .pdf file?

    Anyway, if the quicktime application was installed with an IVP that
    included sound, I would have been able to play that one to verify that
    my installation was correct and the file was deficient. I would also be
    nice if they would unbundle quiktime from iTunes.

    IanO

    I did not actively choose for this message not to be archived.
    Where is that option in the Google interface?

    IanONet, Jul 18, 2006
  6. IanONet

    Margolotta Guest

    Good point, my whiskery wombat, I never thought to check the headers.
    Obviously Evan didn't either.

    I don't know what's happening to him lately. He used to be so accurate.

    Margolotta, Jul 18, 2006
  7. IanONet

    Whiskers Guest

    snip
    It isn't there at all - Google /is/ the archive, so they wouldn't want to
    make it too obvious how to thwart their efforts ;))

    However, if you click on 'Help' while viewing most of the ' Google Groups'
    pages, you go to <http://groups.google.co.uk/support?hl=en> where

    I don't want you to archive my articles! How can I keep my
    messages from being archived on Google Groups?

    is number 4 out of "Top 5 Groups Help Questions" on the right.

    As the Google Groups interface is merely a rather clumsy web forum that
    gets very nearly all of its contents from public newsgroups (such as this
    one) that have nothing at all to do with Google, you will probably find
    that your newsgroup experience is much improved when you use a proper
    newsreader program on your own computer, connecting to the news-server
    provided by your ISP or to any of the public news-servers.

    Good news-reader programs allow you to automate the xnay or any other
    'custom headers' etc that you may want to use.

    Whiskers, Jul 18, 2006
  8. IanONet

    Whiskers Guest

    Dehydration and heatstroke can do nasty things to the attention span.

    Whiskers, Jul 18, 2006
  9. IanONet

    Mitch Guest

    Mitch, Jul 20, 2006