What zoom lens to use with Nikon D70?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by luvjava, Jul 21, 2004.

  1. luvjava

    luvjava Guest

    I'm looking for a little longer lens than the 18-70 f/3.5-8.5 ED DX lens
    that came with my D70 outfit..

    I would like to go with something that is as long as 300mm but havent been
    able to find alot of info on what is compatable with the D70.

    The review sites usually state that the stock 18-70 was specificly made for
    the D70.

    What options do I have? Sigma, Quantaray, Tamron??

    My uses would be for getting a little closer for nature shots.

    I'd be taking shots for myself, to put up as art on my own walls. I would
    like to keep the price down and wont be having profotographers ove for
    dinner judging my work, so issues like a photophile picking out chromatic
    distortion at the edge of the field when zoomed all the way out at close
    focus.

    The short question, What have you used that works with the D70??

    Bill
    Hampton Va

    luvjava, Jul 21, 2004

  2. luvjava

    Douglas Guest

    The Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO (macro super) is a very nice lens for about
    $210.

    Douglas, Jul 21, 2004

  3. luvjava

    photo35744 Guest

    Look into Tamron lens.

    photo35744, Jul 21, 2004
  4. luvjava

    Apteryx Guest

    I have been very happy with my Nikkor AF 4-5.6 70-300mm G on my D70,
    especially for getting in close on water birds, and especially for the
    money (=$US140 here in New Zealand, and probably cheaper in the US).
    But have a look a few, and check out the ratings on the Tele zooms
    section of http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Zstf

    You will see there that the Sigma AF 4.0-5.6 70-300mm APO Macro Super
    that Douglas recommended is the best rated of the reasonably economic
    options. But for use on any recently introduced camera, there is always
    the worry that Sigma's reverse engineers might not have got quite right
    what all of the CPU contacts on Nikon mount lenses are meant to do on
    cameras released after the lens was (unlike Tamron, who pay Nikon for
    this info, and who probably made the two Nikkor 70-300mm lenses anyway -
    especially the more expensive D, which is identical to their
    f4.0-5.6LD). But I never looked at that Sigma myself, as here in NZ it
    is more than twice the price of the Nikkor G.

    Apteryx, Jul 21, 2004
  5. In addition to the DX lenses, I have used the Nikor 75-300 f4.5-5.6
    AF. It works quite well. Both the metering and AF work with the D-70
    and it's a relatively inexpensive lens.

    The sharpness is quite good as well.

    However, IMO the 70-300, or 75 - 300 turns the camera into what is
    pretty much a special purpose camera. You really need a "normal" lens
    for those "snapshots", Also the 75-300 is considerably heavier than
    the "normal" lens which is a very good lens for about $300.

    Good luck on which ever way you go.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Jul 21, 2004
  6. Budget is the big question. Personally, to get a lens in that kind of range,
    the 80-200/2.8 Nikon lens cannot be beaten.

    Derrick

    Surfworx Photography, Jul 22, 2004
  7. luvjava

    Bob Guest

    The Nikkor 70-300G is a good lens, but also you may want to try the Sigma 28-300
    which covers a lot of ground and is fully compatible with the D70 - I go
    everywhere with this lens! The only thing I don't like about it is the 4 foot
    focus distance, so you have to zoom in to get a closeup... I need a macro lens!

    Bob, Jul 22, 2004
  8. luvjava

    luvjava Guest

    Thanks everyone for the great info.
    I'll be making a trip to the local shops with the D70 in hand for a round of
    test shots, the I'll come home and do my evaluation.

    Again, thanks for the time,

    Bill "Just loves his D70"

    luvjava, Jul 22, 2004
  9. luvjava

    {STP} Guest

    And if money is an issue, go with the old 70-210/4 Nikkor.

    {STP}

    {STP}, Jul 24, 2004
  10. If you can find a good one there is nothing wrong with going used. You
    can probably find a pretty good lens on the used market. Our local
    photography shop usually has quite a selection and I'd assume they are
    pretty much typical.

    Roger Halstead, Jul 24, 2004