    56K V90 PCI Modem 56K V.92 No VOICE or MIC Jack (LUCENT CHIPSET)
    Black NEC 1300A DVD±R/RW CDRW IDE Dual w/SW

    What cheap upgrades would make it better? Thank you.

    bob adams, Jan 1, 2004

  2. bob adams

    Adam Steiner Guest

    If you have the options...can't comment on the price....
    Go for the P4 2.6C, it should be about the same price and you'll get the
    800Mhz FSB
    How fast is the RAM? DDR 333 will default to 320 (I think) if you have
    the P4 2.6C
    I heard that the ATI 9600, while good, is actually not much better than
    the 9500. It may be better to get the 9800 with 128MB of RAM (not sure on
    the prices though)
    What make is the HD? Does it have a 2MB Cache or 8? I'd go with the
    8MB.
    I assume you mean USB 2.0 and not USB 1.0 (or 1.1).
    For sound I'd go with a SB Audigy or Audigy 2. Even the Audigy should
    be better than the Live 5.1 (from what I hear)

    What are you planning on using this machine for?

    --Adam

    Adam Steiner, Jan 1, 2004

  3. bob adams

    Michael-NC Guest

    Soooo, that's 935.00 in parts if you build it yourself. Now that's assuming
    the computer you're contemplating actually has good memory that cost 175.00
    It can be had cheaper, as can the power supply. Which is generally not good
    for you. always know the brand and spec of _each_ component.

    What are you trying to do with your system. It looks like an entry level
    gaming rig. The video card is a good choice but I would consider a AMD
    platform based on the A7N8X MB and a XP2600 CPU. That CPU would save you 50
    bucks and be just as quick. You could then get an Asus A7N8X MoBo for 75
    bucks and have a top of the line motherboard instead of an ECS board. Don't
    get a cheap power supply, whatever you do.

    Most important for games are CPU, Video card and ram. For games, 512MBs will
    do you, right now, 1GB is overkill. Almost any CPU over 2GHz or XP2000 will
    handle most all games. You're card is entry level DirectX 9. Good choice.
    It'll run everything but not with all the details turned up.

    If you're doing serious video editing, more ram is desirable.

    Off to celebrate 2004!

    Happy New Year Gang!

    Michael-NC, Jan 1, 2004
  4. bob adams

    bob adams Guest

    I was going to be selling it. What would you be paying for it? Thanks.

    bob adams, Jan 1, 2004
  5. I think his answer was $935.00.....

    =The Anti-n00b=, Jan 1, 2004
  6. bob adams

    Wizard Guest

    ~ $600.00

    Wizard, Jan 1, 2004
  7. bob adams

    bob adams Guest

    I know. Hes not the only one here. Duh.

    bob adams, Jan 1, 2004
  8. Not sure what I'd pay for it but as far as cheap upgrades, first would
    be a NIC. Second would be a second CD/DVD drive-probably DVD but you
    could get by with CD. Figure that you mostly play disks-why wear out
    your burner doing that?

    Calvin Crumrine, Jan 2, 2004
  9. bob adams

    bob adams Guest

    Oh yeah, the motherboard doesn't have one. Thanks!!!

    bob adams, Jan 3, 2004