What would cause this?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Invisible, Oct 27, 2006.

  1. Invisible

    Invisible Guest

    Invisible, Oct 27, 2006

  2. Invisible

    Richard Guest

    Possibly, those connectors are not designed for a large number of
    insertion/removal cycles which is where most people come unstuck with
    things like that happening, otherwise it just takes a small irregularity
    in the surface of one of the pair to cause it to start to heat, and once
    it does then it tends to run away as you have seen there. Its not
    usually a problem on the power there because there are others in
    parallel with it that would just take the extra current if one of them
    has higher resistance. Then again, perhaps that one was the only one
    left working properly after the others had failed.

    Richard, Oct 27, 2006

  3. Invisible

    Jerry Guest

    I've seen that happen before, but not that often. The burned connector
    is pin 19, which is +5 volts. Pin 20, next to it on the corner is +5 as
    well. HP cases aren't exactly brilliant, but that doesn't happen all
    that often. A bad connection on that pin will cause it to overheat.
    The PS pinout is at
    http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/power/atxpower.html

    Jerry, Oct 27, 2006
  4. Invisible

    thingy Guest

    If it is jammed sideways it may not have been making a good contact to
    the mboard socket, this could have caused it to overheat and burn
    out....so yes it is possible...first time I have seen that....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 27, 2006
  5. On 27 Oct 06, thingy wrote:

    | Invisible wrote:
    | | Been looking at this old HP Pavilion that would turn on, but not
    | | POST. Took the floppy bay out and spotted this when I unplugged the
    | | power connector from the board!!
    | |
    | | http://i13.tinypic.com/2hprogo.jpg
    | | http://i13.tinypic.com/42nxqvp.jpg
    | | http://i13.tinypic.com/3y357y1.jpg
    | |
    | | The red wire 2nd from the end looks munted. There was no room under
    | | the floppy bay, and it was jammed tight against the power
    | | connector. Would this have caused it to short/burn out? Nice design
    | | HP, nice design...
    | |

    | If it is jammed sideways it may not have been making a good contact
    | to the mboard socket, this could have caused it to overheat and burn
    | out....so yes it is possible...first time I have seen that....
    |
    | regards
    |
    | Thing

    Hello, thingy ...

    My, but those pictures look familiar!

    I have encountered this phenomenon before on a client's (fairly new)
    machine.
    Poor contact between pin and connector inside the PSU plug because of a
    misaligned/malformed connector, resulting in decresed contact area,
    therefore increased contact resistance and overheating.

    Result: Replacement of power supply under manufacturer's warranty.
    Luckily the motherboard was OK.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Oct 27, 2006
  6. Invisible

    Jerry Guest

    That is exactly what I've seen before, but from the pics the pin is
    melted in the MB connector.

    Jerry, Oct 27, 2006
  7. Invisible

    Invisible Guest

    Hopefully I can get the melted gunk off and try another PSU.

    It's a Duron 900 model, so it's lasted them a few years. Strange that it's just
    decided to crap out like that. The warranty tape was still intact when I opened
    the case, so no one has tinkered with it until now.

    Invisible, Oct 27, 2006