    that can be disabled?

    Many thanks,

    Mary

    ECLiPSE 2002, Sep 23, 2008

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    Leonard Grey Guest

    There is no such guide because each PC has a unique configuration.

    Slow performance in a PC is easy to understand. It almost always has one
    or more of three causes:

    1- Malicious software (malware)
    2- Hardware no longer up to the demands of the software you are running.
    3- User misconfiguration.

    The best way to avoid user misconfiguration (3) is to resist the
    temptation for an ill-advised 'quick fix'. That includes avoiding
    so-called registry cleaners and not tinkering with the system services,
    unless you don't mind destroying your computer.

    There are several ways to diagnose insufficient hardware (2). One way is
    to start your computer in Safe Mode, which loads what is essentially a
    skeleton version of Windows. If your computer appears more responsive in
    Safe Mode that tells you that one or more of the applications you are

    If you're unsure of how to diagnose and eliminate malware (1), I suggest
    you show your computer to a professional. Unfortunately, malware is
    getting tougher and tougher to eliminate.

    Leonard Grey, Sep 23, 2008

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    Big_Al Guest

    Try this link
    http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?docid=172521&tag=nl.e530

    Big_Al, Sep 23, 2008
  4. Tweak away but back up your config just for the hell of it:
    http://members.rushmore.com/~jsky/id01.html

    §ñühwØ£f, Sep 23, 2008
  5. ECLiPSE 2002

    The Todal Guest

    I don't think you have said how much RAM you have. It is my impression
    (rightly or wrongly) that in general a new installation of XP will run very
    smartly on a PC even with a Pentium 3 and less than 200 mb of RAM but once
    you install all the Windows Updates you find everything is slower, and you
    can restore some of the speed by upgrading your RAM to at least 750mb.

    The Todal, Sep 23, 2008
  6. ECLiPSE 2002

    VanguardLH Guest

    What is your current physical memory usage? What was your peak memory
    usage (commit charge)? What is your CPU usage when your computer is
    "slow"? Use Task Manager to find out under its Performance tab. If
    there is plenty of physical memory unused and CPU usage is low, the
    slowdown isn't because of what you have loaded in memory.

    When you boot and after the POST (power-on self test) but before Windows
    starts loading, you should see a screen showing your system. Check the
    CPU specs to see that it is recognized at the speed rating for what you
    thought you bought. It is possible the multiplier or speed is wrong in
    BIOS. There are also utilities to show you that info within Windows,
    like AIDA32 (Google on it as some sites still have it available) or
    CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php).

    A site that tells you about which NT services and startup program can be
    disabled/deleted won't tell you what YOU want to disable/delete and
    which to leave running. If you have gobs free physical memory and CPU
    usage is very low, disabling services or deleting startup programs won't
    help. However, it is possible that a low-CPU usage process is generating
    lots of disk traffic, like a background backup program running at low
    priority. Add the I/O read and writes (in bytes) columns to Task
    Manager's Processes tab (View -> Select Columns menu) to see if any are
    generating lots of bus traffic for file I/O.

    VanguardLH, Sep 23, 2008
  7. ECLiPSE 2002

    Evan Platt Guest

    I pity that computer

    Evan Platt, Sep 23, 2008
  8. ECLiPSE 2002

    Pennywise Guest

  9. ECLiPSE 2002

    chuckcar Guest

    None for windows itself. Some wierd things like disc-at-once cd writing
    software require it. You can safely disable *all* of them and then test
    any strange hardware you have like digital cameras, blood glucose monitors
    etc, to see if you need to enable anything.

    chuckcar, Sep 24, 2008
  10. ECLiPSE 2002

    Evan Platt Guest

    So I can disable explorer and svchost and System and System Idle
    Process?

    Cool, thanks.

    Translation: No, you CANNOT disable EVERY process. Some won't even let
    you, others will 'crash' Windows - you'll basically be at a blank
    screen. No start button, no icons, NOTHING.

    Evan Platt, Sep 24, 2008
  11. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Many thanks to all responders - I now have much to consider.

    Mary

    ECLiPSE 2002, Sep 24, 2008
  12. ECLiPSE 2002

    chuckcar Guest

    And those processes *aren't* *in* startup. So yet *another* null point
    made by our want to be troll.

    chuckcar, Sep 24, 2008
  13. ECLiPSE 2002

    Evan Platt Guest

    Shit, I'm the want to be troll?

    Don't even get me started.

    Evan Platt, Sep 24, 2008
  14. ECLiPSE 2002

    Pennywise Guest

    How can you claim this? http://i38.tinypic.com/2hzmz9g.jpg
    Not saying the translation is all true, but you can't pull the above
    statement out of your rear end and expect it to fly.

    http://i38.tinypic.com/2hzmz9g.jpg
    My startup the unselected don't start, the registry entries unknown
    without viewing them - but do notice the paths as they are very
    informative.

    (this is just the user logon programs - just think if all the startup
    items were blocked from starting).

    Pennywise, Sep 25, 2008
  15. ECLiPSE 2002

    Pennywise Guest

    Nope just some idiot that shown blue will prove it's red by changing
    the subject to trains.
    and HKCU

    Pennywise, Sep 25, 2008
  16. ECLiPSE 2002

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    You really are *not* serving the purpose of this group by doing this. So
    you don't want to be wrong. Fine, don't criticize others and you'll be
    happy. Otherwise you're just an idiot that can't be dealt with. *Everybodys*
    wrong sometimes, and this is another one for you. You're averaging below 50%
    so far with me with your "protect the group" replies. I strongly suggest you
    ignore the advice you've probably been getting from or
    as *you* probably know him Deli kid or any number of other nyms he uses for his
    childish purposes. I told him once to stop doing his "fixes" such as telling
    people to flash bios' themselves as a first step in solving problem due to the
    problem with it, he decided to do the same and it evolved into this nonsence. This
    has *nothing* to do with you or this group, it's all about an ego the size of Betelgeuse. Steve's. So don't make this your problem.

    Oh and BTW you *are* wrong here. Show me *one* entry from
    *any* computer under:

    HKLM\software\windows\currentversion\run

    that is *required* for windows to work - irrelevant of added hardware.
    Note: that *has* to be where the program originally installs it otherwise
    it's just cheating obviously.

    I'm not going to even deal with your other point. Just so *you* can be
    *completely* wrong.

    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2008
  17. ECLiPSE 2002

    Tony Guest

    There's been some questions and confusion in a previous post in regards to
    why you "hard boot" (or "power drains" as chuck likes to call it) your DSL
    modem. I'm compiling a website for these NG's to cut down on the utter
    bullshit that's been posted in here by some posters (*caugh* chuck). So
    lets clear out the bullshit and get back to business. This took me 30 mins
    to compile and write. This is for those who wanted to know exactly why you
    turn your modem on and off, and why this works.

    Power cycling your modem or hard booting your modem, by completely
    unplugging it for about 30 - 40 seconds then turn it back on again, can fix
    some internet connection problems. Here is a more in-depth response to this
    issue as to why this is done.

    This clears out your modems buffers which can get over filled due to Packet
    Loss; and this intern can cause your modem to loose sync with the
    connection. This is the most common problem that causes loss of sync with
    your connection and power cycling your modem is used to re-sync it. However
    this is a quick fix to this problem. In most cases this can be prevented by
    having the appropriate network tweaks and settings in place, which is
    something that the tech turnips at Sympattycake should be informing us on.

    Supportive Research:

    http://www.dslreports.com/speed - Explains Packet Loss and other speed
    related issues, plus links to tweaks page. For those of you who notice a
    decrease in speed during certain times of the day, might want to check out
    Enemy #3 on this page.

    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111644,pg,2,00.asp# - Excellent
    Article.

    http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/ - Listed in PC World Article

    After you have ruled out all possibly for connection problems i.e.. Routers,
    adware, viruses, browser cache etc..and if after you are still having Sync
    Problems with the tweaks you have done, visit section 5.3 : Sync Problems on
    the following site:

    http://www.docmirror.net/en/linux/howto/networking/DSL-HOWTO/tuning.html

    --
    Steve

    Beware of this Steve aka Steve Y aka Steve O etc character - he
    questions every post he doesn't understand and if you get irritated at
    him, he will follow you through usenet trolling your posts. Plonk
    (killfile) him and *never* answer any of his posts.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know proper manners

    Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions beyond the realm of understandability

    Tony, Sep 26, 2008
  18. ECLiPSE 2002

    Pennywise Guest

    "None for windows itself. Some wierd things like disc-at-once cd
    writing software require it. You can safely disable *all* of them and
    then test any strange hardware you have like digital cameras, blood
    glucose monitors etc, to see if you need to enable anything."

    --

    Two Tens
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2884652691/sizes/o/

    Pennywise, Sep 26, 2008
  19. ECLiPSE 2002

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    Which is an (edited to remove some relevant points) quote of me. Your
    point, if you have one left that is? The question was about startup full
    stop. *Not* policies or windows programs, but the startup group.

    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2008
  20. ECLiPSE 2002

    Tony Guest

    http://chuckcarnil.blogspot.com/