    3) Thin flexible card can be damaged. I never had damaged a card this way. I
    could stack many for compact storage.

    John

    JohnR66, Jan 18, 2005

  2. May not have anything to do with physical size. Rather, a poor logical
    design early on could result in a low limit on how much memory the
    format is capable of addressing.

    Eric Schreiber, Jan 18, 2005

  3. JohnR66

    Steve Young Guest

    grab a seat over there == > x
    next to the Beta Max, Laser Disk, vinyl and 8 tracks
    I'll prolly still be alive when DVD looks the same way ;)

    RIP Trash 80s

    :)x

    Steve Young, Jan 18, 2005
  4. Just my observation ... the reliability stinks! (Based on personal
    experience with seven of those damned things, which of course is anecdotal
    and not meaningful to the masses but nonetheless very real to me).

    Charles Schuler, Jan 18, 2005
  5. JohnR66

    Stacey Guest

    CF doesn't and this keeps it from being static damaged. Most people will
    ignore "don't touch the contacts" warning.

    Stacey, Jan 18, 2005
  6. Most likely because Smart Media is NOT very smart. The logic is not built
    into the card, and as sizes grew, the format of future sizes was
    undetermined. I do not know what size my Olympus camera originally
    supported, but when I bought 32 MB SM, it would not work until I sent the
    camera into Olympus for modification. So if somebody came out with larger
    Smart Media, all equipment that wanted to use it would need modified logic
    (firmware upgrade).

    Other media like CF and similar smaller dimension media has built-in logic
    to operate like a mini IDE hard drive. So no modifications are needed to
    access them as memory sizes increase beyond what is available or known
    today.

    David Efflandt, Jan 18, 2005
  7. JohnR66

    Pete D Guest

    I worked at an event last year using Fuji S2 pro's and we used about 80-100
    SM cards, we had problems regularly and I personally had five or six fail
    completely.

    Pete D, Jan 18, 2005
  8. JohnR66

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Mostly because it doesn't accomodate larger capacity. Second because it
    isn't 'smart' at all, lacking its own controller chip, and lastly
    because of the size, and flexible format, and rather less than robust
    connectors. I took one look at the thickness (or lack of it), and
    decided I wanted nothing to do with the format.
    Even the time SC and xD formats are thicker.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 18, 2005
  9. What's this? Has Smart Media died and, if so, in what sense? It's the only
    memory format my camera accepts. Should I be buying up stocks now in case
    they vanish from the shelves?

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Jan 18, 2005
  10. 1) No capacity beyond 128 MB. This doesn't make sense as other smaller
    1) has never worried me. For holiday snaps I tend not to use highest
    definition/quality modes and can easily get a full 2 weeks holiday onto a
    single card. In normal daily use, I rarely go beyond 20-30 photos before
    offloading to my laptop.

    2) and 3) aren't a problem if you never take the card out of the camera
    (which I don't). It only takes a moment to download by plugging a cable
    into the camera so I've never seen the point of investing in a card reader.
    From day 1, I looked at the rather flimsy card and decided not to stress it
    too much by unnecessary removal and insertion.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Jan 18, 2005
  11. JohnR66

    BG250 Guest

    It is dead in the sense that it has been made obsolete. Since mid 2003, no
    new camera designs have used SM, It is also no longer stocked in the stores
    that I've seen.
    bg

    BG250, Jan 18, 2005
  13. Yes. No new camera using SM has been produced in the last two years. In the
    Olympus world, I believe the C-4000Z was the last SM camera, and since that
    camera was picked up by Costco and other bargin places, it had a longer
    lifetime, but the fact remains it is dead. On their point & shoot and prosumer
    cameras, Olympus now uses xD (ie, lets remake smartmedia in a completely
    different form factor), however I was surprised that their consumer DSLR (E300)
    does not take both xD and CF, taking only CF.

    Yes you should be stocking up, as I have noticed SM is disappearing. The last
    time I checked, I no longer saw it in Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. In addition, I
    noticed the internet retailer newegg.com no longer carries it. I have 3
    Olympus cameras that use SM, and I have been stocking up when I see it at $25
    for a 128M card.

    Michael Meissner, Jan 18, 2005
  14. JohnR66

    Larry Guest

    Within 30 miles of my home, the only place that has ANY Smartmedia cards is
    the local Radio Shack, and they say they are not getting any more.

    (within 30 miles of my house there are more than 50 stores that sell digital
    cameras and memory cards Hells Bells, there are 6 stores in just ONE of the
    Malls in my area).

    Larry, Jan 18, 2005
  15. JohnR66

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I suspect they will be around long after you have figured out that your
    camera is hopelessly obsolete, and ancient, and bought a new one. So
    now, try to find a new one that uses Smartmedia...
    Does that tell you anything?

    Ron Hunter, Jan 18, 2005
  16. JohnR66

    Alfred Molon Guest

    It was a marketing decision in my opinion, as they could have changed
    again the architecture of Smartmedia cards to allow larger capacities.
    Instead Fuji and Olympus decided that they wanted a smaller format - the
    xD cards. xD cards also have no controller chip and exposed contacts,
    and despite the small size can go up to 8GB.

    Alfred Molon, Jan 18, 2005
  17. Size. Never had any other problem.

    Dave R knows who, Jan 18, 2005