    to boot into a usb volume and there is no way that i can attach it directly
    to the system in order for it t boot.
    Using a desktop unit with Win XP pro.

    Andy Petro, Feb 24, 2006

  2. Andy Petro

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Andy Petro spewed forth:
    What value? Data backup. File relocation and portability. Excellent value if
    you use it for what it is best suited for.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 24, 2006

  3. Uh...it would have value for any drive tasks that do not require booting.
    Booting is not all one does with a hard drive, generally.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 24, 2006
  4. Andy Petro

    old jon Guest

    Have you no USB ports ?.
    If not, treat yourself to PCI\USB card and stick it in your
    machine.
    Then you can Backup your system\software\data, for safe
    keeping.
    When yor OS drive goes belly up, if you`ve got an Image
    of that drive on your USB drive you can Image back to a
    new drive, and be up and running again in half an hour.

    old jon, Feb 24, 2006
  5. Andy Petro

    Plato Guest

    Data backup. Portable, I might add.

    Plato, Feb 25, 2006
  6. Andy Petro

    Mitch Guest

    Isn't it still useful for storing files?

    Use as a boot device isn't the only practical function!

    Although I find it hard to believe Windows hasn't yet made booting from
    USB common -- I thought they would have done that years ago. Doesn't
    everything else?

    Mitch, Feb 25, 2006