What type of Router for a small wireless broadband commmunity??

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by John Flanagan, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. I am in the process of setting up a small wireless broadband network
    for small rural area. At the moment it is only in the development
    stage but if things get going we hope to have 20 to 30 users or
    households.

    The network would primarly be used for basic internet access however I
    would also like to offer Voice over IP.

    My connection to the internet is through ADSL. At the moment the
    connection is just at 512 download and 256 upload. I can increase
    that up to 2MB download 256k upload.

    My question is what kind of Router would I need for such a set up??

    I need a router that allows quality of service. Giving prefence to
    VIOP.

    Cost is a major issue so I'm not looking for something that is top of
    the range, such that would be used in a normal exchange.

    The 50% cost of the project is paid by the local community.

    Are there other things that I may need?? or

    Any issues that I should be aware of??

    John Flanagan, Aug 1, 2004

  2. John Flanagan

    Bob Goddard Guest

    You are falling into the trap that most folk who try to implement
    VOIP and QOS over ADSL. You only have control over one end and
    most of the traffic is going to be coming down the line.

    Bob Goddard, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Explain??

    I will be signing up to a VOIP Company who will set up the rest of the connection.

    Aaron Leonard, Aug 3, 2004