    Ernest Lilley
    Columinst - Byte.com
    Editor - TechRevu.com

    Ernest Lilley, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Ernest Lilley

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Then make sure you can have access to the Sneak Peak at PMA from 12 to 2
    at the LV Hilton on the 11th. There you will find all of the new
    products in a small room and lunch. Open to press only

    Bob Salomon, Feb 4, 2004

  3. Yes, I'm registered for Sneak Peek, as well as Digital Focus that evening.

    Is the D70 the most anticipated release of the show?

    Ern

    Ernest Lilley, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Do they cover printers and lenses?
    If so, any new A3+ with good B+W, and any EF-S lenses.

    Darren Sawyer, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Ernest Lilley

    Hans Guest

    Minolta DSLR

    Gr, Hans

    Hans, Feb 4, 2004
  6. It sort of depends on where you are coming from what is the most anticipated
    release. Of the cameras announced so far, the D70 is most likely to appeal to
    the advanced users who might have gone for the Canon digital rebel/300D/KISS.
    I think the Canon 1D-II and new L lenses is of more interest to the working
    photojournalist. The so called 'cheap 6' announced yesterday might be more
    interesting for people entering the digicam market. A lot of Minolta SLR users
    are hoping for at least a mockup of the Minolta DSLR. There is a rumor of a
    new fixed lens, long zoom camera with stabalization that people who bought the
    Olympus C-2100UZ during the great firesale are anticipating. There is the
    "Super Stuff" announcement tomorrow that has people curious.

    Michael Meissner, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Maybe. Of the cameras annouced so far; that's probably the biggest
    news for the prosumer sector, while Canon's new EOS-1D Mark II is
    carrying the higher end plaudits before you get into the *really*
    exclusive (and expensive) stuff. Other things I'd say to watch for
    are, in no particular order:

    The current state of play of the "digital vs film" issue has to be on
    your list already.

    Foveon's X3 sensor finding it's way into a non-Sigma and preferably
    mass market camera (even if on a PDA/phone). While the technology is
    not without its issues it is a new and interesting approach with a lot
    of promise if it can be perfected.

    In a similar vein, Sony's F828 uses an evolutionary rather than
    revolutionary approach to sensor design, again not without its issues
    (specifically noise), but worth a look.

    Minolta's new DSLR - they've promised something special, but whether
    it can retake the digital ground lost to Canon/Nikon remains to be
    seen.

    And last but *certainly* not least, the only thing I can see taking
    the wind out of Nikon's sails is if the rumours of Canon having a
    "EOS-10D Mark II" waiting in the wings are true. In the pre-PMA run
    up around here this was without a doubt the rumoured camera most
    people were expecting to see.

    And most importantly of all have fun - I sooo wish I was going too!

    Andy

    Andy Blanchard, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Great suggestions. I've got meetings with most of those companies already.
    Foveon has nice receptions, and their three layer cake is always a hoot. I'm
    especially excited about the Canon 10D upgrade, as I might be able to afford
    one (to go with my Digital Rebel and S400).

    I'll try and post to the newsgroup from the press room on a daily basis to
    hit some of the highlights.

    Thanks for the input, more is welcome.

    Ernest Lilley
    Byte.com / TechRevu.com

    Ernest Lilley, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Ernest Lilley

    BPR2 Guest

    re: Our focus is on new technology
    I would suggest as thorough as possible review of the different 'image
    capture' technologies, both current and in development.

    I would like everyone to know more about the current design / manufacturing
    processes ... an improvement in public understanding of the differences
    would be very helpful to most consumers and retailers, AND any expert
    insights into the comparative benefits (and limitations) of each of the
    different image sensor devices available now and within the near future. Is
    there a potential 'betamax Vs VHS' type of issue brewing?

    An overview of which companies / countries have what kind of stake in each
    of the technologies would be a good idea too. e.g. Who holds the patents?
    What are the economic implications to Canon / Nikon / Sony (Japan) , Kodak
    (USA), if one type of technology becomes dominant?

    BPR2, Feb 4, 2004
  10. Ernest Lilley

    Linda_N Guest

    I bet any money that Oly will be revealing one very nice oyster gem soon.

    I'd be surprised if Minolta doesn't decide to stay in pro-sumer and under
    grade digicams, but start developing generic mount lenses.

    Time will tell.

    I think as a jounalist covering a imaging technology show that the top 3 in
    each division of imaging should be covered to reach the widest possible
    reading audience for sales of the mag. There is a heck of a lot more than
    just digicams to cover.

    Linda.

    Linda_N, Feb 4, 2004
  11. Ernest Lilley

    Jim Waggener Guest

    Be sure to take a look at the Epson 4000 printer. Its on my radar.

    Jim Waggener, Feb 4, 2004
  12. Ernest Lilley

    Mark M Guest

    If you look at the Foveon booth, be SURE to take along a calculator!!
    -They have a "fuzzy math" thing going on in terms of the claims they make in
    their marketing of the Foveon chip.

    Mark M, Feb 6, 2004
  13. Ernest Lilley

    Mark M Guest

    No.
    That's the camera everyone already knows about.
    More interesting will be those which have not been previously
    detailed...like Canon's huge list of new digicams--not yet revealed.

    Any DSLR from Minolta will be big news...for Minolta users.

    Any full-frame sensors in DSLRs (from any manufacturer) will be big news.

    Mark M, Feb 6, 2004
  14. No, it's the other way around: Foveon's math is only a response to the
    fuzzy math of Bayer chip vendors. The Bayers count *fake* megapixels,
    and people are easily fooled by this hoax!

    But you should definitely look at the Foveon both. They have something
    new coming up, and that's the *only* news of PMA beside all the obsolete
    Bayer junk!

    Regards
    Guido

    Guido Vollbeding, Feb 6, 2004
  15. I met with Epson to find out what the delay was with shipping the 4000, and
    the only thing they'd fess up to was that the pre0rder demand was so high
    that they wanted to hold off until they could meet it, rather than have a
    few people get them and others turn green with envy.

    I did hear rumors of a banding problem in some of the production units that
    had them go back to work it out, but that's not confirmed, and if they did
    catch something like that...hurrah for quality control.

    The current estimate I got for shipping was April.

    The thing I like about the 4000 is that it uses the same ink set
    (ultrachrome) as the 2200, so if you don't have the space for it you can buy
    the smaller printer and be confident about larger output if you job out the
    output.

    My full PMA report will be on Byte.com next monday.

    Ernest

    Ernest Lilley, Feb 16, 2004
  16. Hans,

    I'll have more stuff in my Byte.com report next monday, but I did get to
    meet with Minolta about their DLSR, which includes their anti-shake
    technology. Besides the late fall 2004 delivery, there's not a lot I can say
    about it.

    Ernest

    Ernest Lilley, Feb 16, 2004
  17. Michael,

    I'll have more next monday in my Byte.com report, but yes, the D70 was about
    the biggest thing at the show, despite the fact that there were 8 MP cameras
    from all the major players, including the Canon 1DII, of course.

    The new Nikon does have a great feel, and the dynamic buffer allows it to
    shoot at a zippy pace, and the lower res your images the zippier it gets.

    I hate getting torn back and forth between camera companies, but even though
    I haven't seen actual pictures for the camera, I think it's time to become a
    nikon fan again. Unless you'd like to buy my Digital Rebel off me.

    Ernest

    Ernest Lilley, Feb 16, 2004
  18. I'm not in the market for a new camera at the moment (just got off of a 6 month
    layoff), but the D70 looks real nice, fixing a lot of problems with the Canon.
    My only real complaint is that I am a IS lens fan, and Canon seems to be all
    over the place with IS lenses, both consumer grade and L glass, while there are
    only 3 Nikon VR lenses.

    Michael Meissner, Feb 16, 2004