What to do, what to do

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by John R, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. John R

    John R Guest

    Hello,

    I know only about a billion people post this question, so I will too.

    I have MCDST and MCSA (2003). I have passed everything
    for MCSE 2003 except for the elective. At this point, I really don't
    have much experience with any of the electives, so I am looking for
    some pointers. I know a little of SQL 2000, but not nearly enough
    to think about that. The MS Press book is 1000 pages. I read the
    first chapter and there are more abbreviations in there than what
    you would find if a tornado blew through Sesame street. (OLAP,
    OTAP, XML, DMO, DSO, ADO...)

    I was considering taking the two core exams for MCSA 2000
    which would satisfy the MCSE 2003 elective. I could probably
    breeze through both of those in a month or less. But, somehow,
    I think that would be 'cheap' of me.

    I have about 10 years network administration experience, but
    I've never been into ISA or any of those kinds of products.
    So, with that in mind, any suggestions? Wait, I've read too much
    on this group... Any suggestions about how to proceed with the
    elective for 2003?

    Thanks in advance for the abuse I know I'm about to take.

    John

    John R, Jan 24, 2007

  2. John R

    John R Guest

    Note: I did not mean to imply that MCSA on 2000 was cheap.
    Please don't take it that way. I meant that after passing the 2003
    exams, it doesn't seem right of me to go back after a 2000 exam.
    That's all!!! REALLY

    John R, Jan 24, 2007

  3. John R

    catwalker63 Guest

    If you don't have experience in the electives, what electives would help
    you in your current position? What are you interested in learning? I
    did security for mine 'cause I wanted to know. Do you have Exchange or
    SQL servers where you work? Do you have security concerns? Anything
    there you just want to know?? Since you don't have production world
    experience, you're going to have to install evaluations and really play
    hard to get it. For me, that's fun. (Not as fun as torturing real
    users, but less likely to get me in trouble if I break something.)

    FYI: For the alphabet soup, I have a little trick to help me remember
    what they stand for. When I'm reading and I come across an acronym I'm
    not familiar with I write in the margin and spell it out there too. I
    keep doing that until I can look at it in the text and know what it
    stands for. It really helped when I was studying for the network exam
    and I've been using it ever since.

    --
    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet

    catwalker63, Jan 24, 2007
  4. John R

    Neil Guest

    for this alone you have earned the right not to have any
    abuse...BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I kill me sometimes. "no have abuse", too
    funny. It was a good line, but really...
    I think that that should be OLTP not OTAP. of course I could be
    wrong...BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! TWICE! Wow, I'm rolling tonight. to learn the
    diff for acronymns there is always Acronym finder:

    http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=OTAP&string=exact

    http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?Acronym=OLTP&string=exact

    now, on to your actual question. What interests you other than Winders.
    What is the job market looking for where you are. How about your current
    employer (if you have one). Speaking as someone who has done Database
    work (still doing it), how are your Business Analyst skills. Requirement
    gathering and understanding financials and the like come in handy. It
    really is fascinating work and you wont have to worry about employement,
    but it does take some thinkin' from time to time. That being said, the
    acronymn hell will be no worse and no better than for teh network crap
    (TCP/IP, RRAS, DHCP, WINS, DNS, IPX/SPX, RIP, OSPF, IPSEC...)

    If databases aren't yer thing, look into Security - lots of interest
    there. you may also like Exchange. If you just stick with the base stuff
    you may not have as many job offers and you may lose some interesting
    details. If you stick with what interests you, you will probably have
    more success at learning it.

    ISA is ok, but you seem to want a challenge (the "cheap" reference gives
    you away). 70-431 could be lots of fun. SQL 2k5 ROCKS!!!! you'll love it.

    Now off with you! go study, shoe, shoe...

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    Still doing friggin' DBA work

    - Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

    Neil, Jan 24, 2007
  5. John R

    catwalker63 Guest

    Neil <[email protected]> prattled ceaselessly in

    Shoe?? No shoes. I told you it's my day off. I'm wearing my happy
    bunny slippers and that's final.

    catwalker63, Jan 24, 2007
  6. John R

    Neil Guest

    I thought you liked shoes! fine, away with you! Go study. slippers,
    slippers...

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006, 11/10/2006

    - A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.

    Neil, Jan 24, 2007
  7. John R

    catwalker63 Guest

    I love shoes. Shoes are wonderful. But I've had 7 days in a row of
    shoes. And people who buy shoes. People who don't put them back where
    they found them. And stupid sales associates who get mad and walk out in
    the middle of a shift and leave me pulling a double. So I'm in a happy
    bunny slipper mood.

    Users didn't suck this much. On the other hand, none of my bosses in the
    corporate world ever brought me flowers and a movie theater gift card as
    a thank you for not being lame like my manager did yesterday.

    catwalker63, Jan 24, 2007
  8. John R

    Julia Guest

    I'm not wearing slippers, I'm only wearing socks. ;)

    Julia, Jan 24, 2007
  9. John R

    Julia Guest

    I'd find the one that holds the most interest for you. I took Exchange.
    It was long and brutal. By the time I finished I was so sick of Exchange.
    I can only imagine how much worse it would have been if I wasn't interested
    in it and it wasn't relevant to what I do at work.

    Julia, Jan 24, 2007
  10. John R

    Julia Guest

    You got a present for not being lame? Hmmmm, that's pretty cool.

    Julia, Jan 24, 2007
  11. John R

    Neil Guest

    I got a present for not being lame. It's called a paycheck...

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006, 11/10/2006

    - Always keep clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

    Neil, Jan 24, 2007
  12. John R

    Neil Guest

    and nothing else! WHOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

    --
    The InterNeil MCNGP Triple X
    PotD 10/23/2006, 11/10/2006

    - A pessimist complains about the noise when opportunity knocks.

    Neil, Jan 24, 2007
  13. John R

    Neil Guest

    I took Exchange too...4.0 and then did the huge upgrade to 5.5...too lazy
    to do the 2000/2003 exams...

    Neil, Jan 24, 2007
  14. John R

    Julia Guest

    Yeah, I get one of those too. Even lame people get those though.

    Julia, Jan 24, 2007
  15. John R

    Julia Guest

    LOL, that could be why I'm so freaking cold right now!

    Julia, Jan 24, 2007
  16. John R

    Julia Guest

    I never worked with 4.0. Was it a lot different than 5.5? I've been
    administering 5.5 for about 6 or 7 years. Didn't take the exam though. I
    took the 2003 and 2007 exams.

    Julia, Jan 24, 2007
  17. John R

    catwalker63 Guest

    Tell me about it.

    catwalker63, Jan 24, 2007
  18. John R

    catwalker63 Guest

    I'm doing the peri-menopause clothing dance. I'm cold, put the sweater
    and socks on. OK, now I'm hot, take off sweater and socks. Now I'm cold
    .. . . .

    No wonder I'm tired.

    catwalker63, Jan 24, 2007
  19. John R

    John R Guest

    Well, I've wanted to get certified for about 10 years now, but I never put
    the time into it until my employer put it on my goals list for my reviews.
    He just wants his gold partner points. I however, have embraced the chance
    to finally update and validate my skill set.

    You are correct in the challenge aspect, that is exactly what I was alluding
    to.
    I do want to do something meaningful in today's world. Again, I'm not
    saying
    that 2000 is not meaningful, but this is 2007 and longhorn will be out soon.
    I see little value in telling a future prospective employer that I got any
    certification on 2000 skills in 2007. Not that I am looking now for a new
    employer, but you never know what will happen in the future. I've never
    been one to ask "What's in it for me?", but when I do finally achieve this
    goal, I am going to ask.

    I probably will go with security. I took 70-297 for the design, so maybe
    I'll just go with 70-298 for the elective. That probably is where the
    future
    of network administration is in today's world anyway.

    Thanks to all who offered advice.

    John

    John R, Jan 24, 2007
  20. John R

    catwalker63 Guest

    You should be ready for that big upgrade to 2007 in 2020 then. <eg>

    catwalker63, Jan 24, 2007