What to do about piracy and the competition?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by TwoBearCatz, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. TwoBearCatz

    Adam Leinss Guest

    @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    Windows XP Professional (32-bit) MVF4D-W774K-MC4VM-
    QY6XY-R38TB

    Right there^^^

    BTW, "small integrators" do sell brand named computers.
    Local shop called "Computer Exchange" does just that.
    First off, if you suspect someone is pirating something,
    your course of action is to contact
    . I never said I support piracy, so
    take down your straw man. What I said is that you seem
    to be a man on a mission to take down your competitors
    with very little information.

    Second, you could easily use the Magic Jelly Bean
    keyfinder and compare the product keys used to install
    the OS: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml.

    Finally, the PID can be manipulated in the registry
    quite easily: HLKM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
    \CurrentVersion\ProductID.

    What cannot be manipulated is the product key and that
    should be the basis for your investigation.

    My problem with what you are doing is that the customer
    brought the PCs to you for a certain services. Did this
    customer bring you the PCs for a piracy check or did
    they bring the PCs to you to have hardware/software
    installed? If you are doing something on a computer the
    customer has not authorized you to do (check PIDs and
    calling Microsoft about it), I suggest you stop doing
    that practice.

    My feeling is that if the customer knew you were a "man
    on a mission" against the wrongs of Microsoft, they
    might bring their PC somewhere else. What if there is a
    piece of shareware on their hard drive that's past the
    30 day trial? Are you going to contact the SIIA on the
    customer?

    Now, if you want to refuse work on a PC because it has
    no COA or no media and you think it's pirated, that's a
    different story.

    Adam

    Adam Leinss, Aug 14, 2006

  2. TwoBearCatz

    Adam Leinss Guest

    [snipped reasons]

    As you requested, I read through the whole thread and then I come to
    this message. Do you know that the Department of Homeland Security has
    suggested to everyone that they should run patch MS06-040 at once?

    I suggest that you read the articles at http://isc.sans.org before you
    suggest to your customers NOT to run Windows updates.

    Adam

    Adam Leinss, Aug 14, 2006

  3. TwoBearCatz

    TwoBearCatz Guest

    Just one load of nonsense after another. For a technical guy, you sure
    can't seem to state the facts and stay on TOPIC. AGAIN (for the 3rd
    time?) HOW would two PC's with legitimately installed WinXP Home OEM
    wind up with Product Keys only one trailing digit apart. I guess we
    have to decipher from all your techno-babble that it WOULD NOT
    "naturally occur".

    What's with this mission statement nonsense?! Again, if you can, READ
    the thread. This particular business is one that has caused me trouble
    in the past. Although I didn't get into further details ... to make a
    long story short they actually were attempting to cause trouble for us
    on an unrelated issue of charging one of their (former) customer's a
    cancellation fee, but immediately stopped when I informed them I knew
    of their software piracy. Typical crooks. Always ready to make trouble
    when they are the ones breaking the law and profiting from it!

    You had to give an opinion of me on your first post. My opinion of you
    is another "soft on piracy computer guy". You also display complete
    lack of knowledge as to how difficult these problems are when you run a
    computer service business from quotes like this.

    That's exactly what we strive for ... but you obviously do not know how
    difficult it is to do that with all the horsesh*t that some of these
    computer service companies AND customers do. Remember, most customers
    with pirated software simply insist it is not pirated until you
    practically shove it in their face. At that point, you just have to
    hope they'll still pay you for your services instead of wrongfully
    demanding a fresh pirated install of Windows, Office, etc. Believe you
    me, if they didn't have the pirated software in the first place, things
    would be a LOT easier. Like I always say, if you want to pirate on YOUR
    OWN I got no problem with it ... just don't get my business involved.

    TwoBearCatz, Aug 20, 2006
  4. TwoBearCatz

    PM Guest

    TwoBearCatz wrote:>
    Wow...I'd sooner send people to a known pirate than to your business.
    That last one is the most ridiculous statement I've ever read on this
    newsgroup. Security patches from Microsoft that plug up huge
    vunerabilities in their own closed software are not as good as "3rd
    party security suites", any of which are completely useless if not
    updated. Good heavens!

    I support about 250+ workstations running Windows 2000 and XP at work,
    and we have a WSUS server deploying pretty much all critical security
    patches across the domain. The only time I've ever seen an issue with a
    security update is that one conflicted with a nvidia graphics card
    driver on Windows XP. It was corrected in a later version of the nvidia
    driver...and it only seemed to affect about 2 PCs.

    PM, Aug 20, 2006
  5. TwoBearCatz

    TwoBearCatz Guest

    Ya know, this group never ceases to amaze me. Every thread starts off
    good, then tends to deteriorate when all the "techno-wannabes" get on
    the bus. Do you really think your limited experience as a Windows
    sysadmin has ANYthing to do with the difficulties of computer service
    and Windows updates?! We don't have the luxury of working with the same
    computers day in and day out OR spending more than an hour or two with
    a customer's computer. If the computer fails for any reason or no
    reason at all you run the risk of a callback which is NOT good for
    business. Why don't you think before you speak?

    PS. You are right about the AV updates. The good thing is that they are
    just that - updates - and they happen AUTOMATICALLY. On the other hand,
    Windows updates go so far as to installing the .NET development
    framework which poses some obvious problems. Yes, I've had a customer
    manage to pull such a stunt and have problems later. You, of course,
    wouldn't know about this since you have no such experience in your
    closed sysadmin world. The funny part is (usually) when asked why they
    did something off the wall like installed the .net framework they say
    "the tech guy at work said windows updates are important?!". <SIGH>
    Sound familiar?

    TwoBearCatz, Aug 20, 2006
  6. TwoBearCatz

    PM Guest

    TwoBearCatz wrote:s!
    My "limited experience" includes plenty of experience working on PCs
    outside of a corporate environment, so spare me. Servicing Windows PCs
    in a home environment is not exactly complicated. With proper training,
    most high school dropouts could handle it. It's little more than an
    easy way to make money.

    A callback that fails because of a conflict between a Windows update and
    a third party app is not something I would go out of my way to worry
    about. These occurances are very rare. It's much more common for a
    vunerability to be exploited in a non-patched system. Your notion that
    third-party security suites do a "better job" of patching up
    vunerabilities in Windows is absurd, and makes it obvious that you know
    little about what you speak.
    The .NET Framework is required for certain apps to run...it's not just
    for developers. I have never once seen it pushed out automatically as a
    security update, but usually as a seperate non-critical update. That's
    simply a case of the customer being an idiot.

    PM, Aug 20, 2006
  7. TwoBearCatz

    TwoBearCatz Guest

    Right, that's why you don't run a computer service business. Your Nick
    Burns mentality will only work in "the corporate world". If you worked
    for a real CS company you'd be fired based on all the callbacks. If you
    tried to run such a business you'd be losing a lot of money getting
    ripped off. So, residential service work is "easy" eh?! ROTFLMAO! After
    doing software development of many sorts for large companies for years
    I couldn't imagine anything more difficult than residential work.
    BULLETIN: People that call CS companies are NOT technically savvy - aka
    "idiots" as you call them. Most will run and/or click on anything just
    for the heck of it especially if it's from MS or they've been duped
    into thinking it is. Then, when it "breaks" the computer they'll blame
    the last guy that worked on it even if you did a perfect job. The worst
    of 'em demand money back, do chargebacks, etc. if you don't come out
    and undo what they've done completely for free! Some just try to rip
    you off anyway. You'd better stick to being sysadmin there, Burns.

    TwoBearCatz, Aug 20, 2006
  8. TwoBearCatz

    Adam Leinss Guest

    <chuckle> Hit it right on the head. However, no amount of reasoning is
    going to change his mind. He proclaims my [sic] lack of knowledge of
    how to run a computer business from the statements I made. I actually
    think he is right. Look at it from the business perspective: if your
    customers don't patch their systems, your customers get
    exploited/infected. Exploited/infected customer comes back to computer
    shop for service. Chung-Ching!

    I wonder what he does when a student brings in their system. Most
    colleges offer academic VL copies of Windows XP. All these copies use
    the same key and thus have the same PID. Now the students will be on
    his watchlist. Ridiculous.

    WGA will quickly identify any businesses that are doing this practice.
    Microsoft has already brought a few lawsuits:

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13908118/

    Adam

    Adam Leinss, Aug 24, 2006
  9. TwoBearCatz

    TwoBearCatz Guest

    ?!?! You are still talking about Volume License?! Never was, and still
    isn't part of the topic of this post. No, they aren't on my watch list.
    Yes, YOU are ridiculous. NO, you still haven't explained how two OEM
    installs (NOT VOLUME LICENSE) of XP would generate nearly the same PID
    with only the last digit incremented or decremented.

    TwoBearCatz, Aug 24, 2006