    the EVF-cameras out there.

    So what *is* your problem?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 4, 2012

  2. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    : In article <>, Robert Coe
    : says...
    : > It had better have room for at least twice as many batteries as the M. 230
    : > shots per charge is *not* adequate for serious photography.
    :
    : And the new Canon is not meant for "serious" photography either. Can you
    : imagine a pro leaving his DSLR at home and using the "M" for a shoot?

    Of course not. What I'm saying is that a hypothetical M-2 or M-3, replete with
    proper controls and a high-speed, high-resolution EVF, could be used for
    serious work, since it would have a big enough sensor. But such a camera could
    probably not be built today (at least not for a price we'd be willing to pay),
    because of limitations inherent in today's processors and batteries. But my
    take is that Canon must think they can do it within a couple of years, else
    they would have followed Nikon's lead or bailed on the concept.

    The M is too expensive for its mission if that mission is to serve the needs
    of any but the most affluent snapshooters. The only way it makes sense is as a
    stalking horse for a line of higher-performance cameras targeted at today's
    DSLR users.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Aug 5, 2012

  3. It's already September? Whee, does time fly ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 6, 2012
  4. Robert Coe

    David Taylor Guest

    On 06/08/2012 12:12, Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
    []
    Having a cumbersome add-on flash unit somewhat defeats making the camera
    compact!

    David Taylor, Aug 6, 2012
  5. Robert Coe

    J. Clarke Guest

    If this thing was cheap and provided good functionality I could see it
    having a nice niche as a tethered studio camera where you're using a
    full sized monitor for viewfinder. But with it costing as much as an
    SLR I don't see much purpose to it except as a supplemental camera for
    specialized operations and for that a thin point-and-shoot would be a
    better bet.

    Cutting features and charging a premium price for the result may work in
    the wierd world of marketing, I can't figure it though, anymore than I
    can figure out why publishers would want to charge more for ebooks than
    for paper ones.

    J. Clarke, Aug 6, 2012
  6. Having the cumbersome build-in flash (same power, same flash
    window size) enlarging the camera body by that amount doesn't
    make the camera less compact?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 7, 2012
  7.
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 7, 2012
  8. Robert Coe

    David Taylor Guest

    Possibly, but the pop-up flash in DSLRs is a lot smaller than some
    add-on unit, and very useful even if it doesn't have the same power. If
    Canon is aiming at those stepping up from P&S, not having a built-in
    flash will be a reason /not/ to purchase.

    David Taylor, Aug 9, 2012
  9. The pop-up flash in DSLRs does take up space, never the less.

    In a compact body like the M there's no convenient prisma housing
    where you can easily put the flash. Considering the lens
    sizes you can put on the M you'd need a really high flash to
    avoid shading --- and there's just no room for that in the M.
    Why?
    The P&S *needs* flash for all but full daylight outside, the M
    can and will do indoors without flash.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 10, 2012
  10. Robert Coe

    David Taylor Guest

    While I can see the space argument, you are wrong about a P&S needing
    flash in all but full daylight. Even a fill-in flash would help the
    aspiring P&S photographer moving to the "M", so I think the lack of
    built-in flash is a disincentive.

    David Taylor, Aug 12, 2012
  11. Robert Coe

    Bruce Guest

    I think you should ask the people who the EOS M is aimed at.

    I'll say it again, for the benefit of people who may not have read it
    before, that the EOS M is almost certainly not aimed at anyone reading
    Usenet photo newsgroups or enthusiast forums. Canon has stated that
    it is aimed at people trading up from compact P&S or superzoom cameras
    who want EOS image quality in a small camera.

    Canon sees this market as being composed more of women than men.

    In some (most?) world markets, the EOS M will be bundled with a small
    flash unit which easily fits in a pocket or handbag and can quickly be
    clipped on when needed.

    Bruce, Aug 14, 2012
  12. Robert Coe

    David Taylor Guest

    On 14/08/2012 22:47, Bruce wrote:
    []
    My sample of one (!) female suggests that the flash unit would simply be
    left at home.

    "Quickly clipped on when needed" sounds like another opportunity for
    missing shots, like having to change lenses....

    Different folks, different needs.

    David Taylor, Aug 15, 2012
  13. Robert Coe

    Bruce Guest

    True. I was parroting Canon's spiel to dealers. That doesn't mean I
    agree with it. I think a built in flash would have been a better
    idea, but still retaining the hotshoe so that larger Speedlites could
    be used.

    Bruce, Aug 15, 2012
  14. M is bundled with an external flash (not in all markets).
    Solved.

    Or does fill flash only work with P&S cameras where the flash
    is inbuilt?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 16, 2012
  15. Tripod (in mild cases stabilizer) and long exposure works, sure.
    Or ISO 800+ (and that on a P&S sensor).
    .... thus a flash unit is bundled (not in all markets) ...
    .... for you.

    Which typical P&S user uses flash in a creative, directed way?
    And which P&S supports that well?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 16, 2012
  16. Robert Coe

    David Taylor Guest

    My experience is that you don't need a tripod to get satisfactory
    results from a P&S in less than "full daylight outside", and if that
    were the case, many P&S users would be returning their cameras.

    I'm not talking about "creative, directed" use of flash, just that the
    P&S user (and even some smartphone users) have come to expect a flash
    either for indoors use or perhaps for fill-in. Not having that on the
    "M" will lose them a capability. Having to carry around a separate
    flash unit (doubtless with its own battery and charger) is a poor
    solution (even if you are lucky enough to be offered it free), and
    suggests that Canon realise their mistake.

    Doubtless it will sell just on the brand name, though.

    David Taylor, Aug 17, 2012
  17. - you are easily satisfied
    - the P&S are using flash
    - the P&S are not shooting people, but static objects and are
    using stabilizers and favourable conditions
    Which the M does not need!
    external flash supplied.
    hotshoe built in.
    standard AA or maybe AAA cells.
    Adding a pop-up flash is an even worse solution:
    - there's no room for one (unless you make the camera a lot larger)
    - a pop up would have to pop up rather high, which makes the
    mechanics of it either weak or large and heavy.
    - the battery wouldn't like the additional drain, so you need a
    larger battery --- making the camera larger again.
    - for most situations a P&S *needs* a flash where the M doesn't.

    A larger camera would be less attractive.
    Doubtless you won't buy it, since you only want cameras with
    inbuilt flashes.

    -Wolf'proud owner of a flashless camera with a hotshoe'gang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 17, 2012