    not of any description that I can see.

    Any clues?

    David

    David, Nov 25, 2003

  2. David

    Stuart Guest

    I get it too, quite often. I'm not sure what causes it, but if I delete it
    it comes back.

    I had a look at it, and it appears to contain address book entries. Possibly
    it's from Outlook Express? I last deleted it on Sunday, hasn't come back
    yet.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Nov 25, 2003

  3. David

    XPD Guest

    Ive had it before too (Win2k), and it appears on my gf's system (Win98)
    every now and then as well.

    XPD, Nov 25, 2003
  4. David

    ZZzzz Guest

    Snipped from
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_20635656.html

    The ~ file is the backup file for your address book. Do you have Outlook
    Express or Outlook? The April patch for Outlook Express Q330994 created this
    problem. You can remove this update from the Add/Remove Programs and the
    problem will be gone. Or you can live with it and wait for the next Outlook
    update, which may get rid of it.

    What happens normally is when you update your address book, it is stored in
    the address book folder. In the same folder, the backup address file is
    updated, for example, user.wab becomes user.wa~ . But the April patch
    caused this user.wa~ not to be updated. Instead the backup file ~ is
    created on the desktop. If you open it, you may recognize some content of
    your address book.

    ZZzzz, Nov 25, 2003
  5. I didnt mean to apologize. I stand by my disregard for the feelings of
    outlook and outlook express users.

    As I wrote in the second post, it seems that applying patches can
    sometimes make things worse.

    What software you use IS my business as another net user, when the
    software in question is known mainly for its efficiancy in enabling
    viruses and junk mail to spread to innocent net users.
    If I drove a vehicle that regularly expelled pieces of metal in a
    deliberate attempt to sabotage other cars, you would well be within your
    rights to abuse me and demand me off the road. And I would be demanded
    off the road. Your analogy is particularly weak considering even cheap
    cars such as Ladas dont affect road safety for other road users.

    Before worrying about whether my mouth is closed or not, worry about
    closing your own security holes first you net-vandal.

    Kurt Häusler, Nov 25, 2003
  6. David

    David Guest

    As you wouldn't know humility nor diplomacy unless it punched in the face, a
    fate that I do not actually wish on you, I note that instead of backing off
    and leaving be what was a stupid and immature knee jerk reaction about
    someone and something you have no knowledge of (that being me, my computer o
    r my security measures), you chose to attack once again.

    So I leave you with the joy of having stomped your foot like the little man
    your seem to be and let you go on to change the world so that we end up
    looking through your own special coloured glasses.

    David, Nov 25, 2003
  7. Thankyou. I just hope you learnt a little something too. Like how
    annoying people like you are (meaning, people who use outlook and
    outlook express), for the rest of us innocent net users.

    Kurt Häusler, Nov 25, 2003
  8. David

    cowboyz Guest

    Exactly how does my using outlook express effect your internet experience?

    cowboyz, Nov 25, 2003
  9. David

    steve Guest

    Kurt Häusler allegedly said:

    I know how you feel.

    Shall we say it for the 9,178,345th time?

    Don't use OE.

    steve, Nov 25, 2003
  10. David

    steve Guest

    David allegedly said:
    Lada's cost money.

    A better mail client for Windows is free. There is not much in the way of a
    good excuse for using MS OE if you haven't got the skills to make the
    hourly effort to keep it virus free.

    *ANY* other mail client for Windows is more secure.

    If OE was as good as a Lada, I might have more sympathy.

    steve, Nov 25, 2003
  11. David

    T.N.O. Guest

    Until recently, my mother used OE 5 with no security patches, and yet
    she has only once received a virus(emailed to her by me as a test for
    her AV)... if unpatched OE is such a virus whore, why has she never got one?

    T.N.O., Nov 25, 2003
  12. David

    Howard Guest

    ... at least not without an anti-virus.

    OE's best features

    1. full height header list pane + full height message pane.
    2. [With OE Quotefix] fixes wrapping and highlights >>>> posts by colour
    3. Ctrl H to show the threads I've posted to _with_ my message highligthed.

    I'll swap to any news reader that has _all_ these features.

    Any suggestions?

    Howard, Nov 25, 2003
  13. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    You have a lot of hate don't you? It must be uncomfortable living with so
    much negative emotion.
    It's *not* your business. It may affect you sometimes but that's just
    something you'll have to learn to live with. It's the 'innocent' net users
    that cause most of the problems.
    You seem to be labouring under the misconception that all OE users are
    unable to secure their systems. Must be boring living in a black-and-white
    world. Still, with no imagination I can see how it would make you feel safe.

    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2003
  14. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    In your narrowly-defined world view do you assume that everybody who uses OE
    for newsgroup-reading also uses it for email? It is OE's email side that
    causes most of the problems to which you refer. If you were ever lucky
    enough to get an email from me you would see that I don't use OE for email,
    just for NG reading.

    Pedant.

    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2003
  15. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I'd like to know too. OE with Quotefix is the best newsreader (on Windows)
    that I have been able to find, and I've tried a few. I don't use OE for
    email however.

    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2003
  16. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Exactly. "Mail client". Just because someone uses OE for newsgroups doesn't
    automatically mean they also use it for mail.

    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2003
  17. Try newsxpress. Simply and quick. Might not do all you want ... but
    might do other good things :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 26, 2003
  18. David

    Enkidu Guest

    I remember you driving a Lada once Steve. All the way to Palmerston
    North and back. Remember?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 26, 2003
  19. Hi there,
    Yes. I once saw this (years ago) on a friends PC. It was a temporary file
    that was extracted from his address book by a virus.

    I'd fire up a virus scan if I were you...

    Chris Wilkinson, Nov 26, 2003
  20. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks Bruce, I'll look into it.