What the heck did HP do to my computer and its mouse???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Citizen Kane, Oct 15, 2005.

  1. Citizen Kane

    Citizen Kane Guest

    I have an HP PSC 1315v All-in-One scanner/copier/printer bought brand new
    from Wal-Mart about six months ago.

    Everything was working fine. Good quality, scanner okay, etc.

    I went online, downloaded two updates for drivers, and now my mouse freezes
    up at random. When it is finally able to move again, I get those two
    musical baritone sounds as if the printer had been turned off and then
    turned on again. Except the printer has been both disconnected AND turned
    off when this has happened. I know, because those were two of the first
    things I tried.

    I've got a white adapter connecting both the mouse and the printer cable to
    the USB port. However, yesterday the printer was pulled out of the adapter,
    and yet my mouse STILL froze up at random and generated the two tones upon
    "waking up" again. Mind you, this isn't where it freezes up and it's dead.
    It's freezing up for maybe 2-5 seconds, then is fine again. Problem is it's
    doing this at random and I'm at my wit's end for causes or fixes. I know it
    has SOMETHING to do with the printer because it gives those tones associated
    with it; I'm wondering if the driver updates that I downloaded did something
    to it. I'm going to defrag & Nortonize the hard drive Saturday evening, but
    I do that once a week for regular maintaince anyway -- it's just that I'm
    wondering if that would have any effect.

    What the hell has HP done to my mouse?

    Citizen Kane, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Citizen Kane

    Toolman Tim Guest

    First of all, do you have a different mouse you can try? Second, does the PC
    have the option for PS2 connection instead of USB? I seldom use the USB for
    the mouse if I can use the PS2. Third, uninstall or roll back the new
    drivers.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 15, 2005

  3. Citizen Kane

    Plato Guest

    Your mistake was updating drivers for a pc that was working fine. Please
    explain in detail why you would do such?

    Plato, Oct 15, 2005
  4. Citizen Kane

    RonK Guest

    Do a system restore to a point before you updated the drivers.
    Remember - if it ain't broke - don't fix it. Sometimes newer drivers can
    conflict and cause those types of problems.

    RonK, Oct 15, 2005
  5. Citizen Kane

    Dave Lear Guest

    in message
    So why did you alter the drivers?

    Assuming you're using WinXP...

    START

    RUN

    DEVMGMT.MSC

    Select the device whose drivers you upgraded, e.g. your mouse

    From the Action menu choose Properties

    Select the Driver tab and click Roll Back Driver

    This will get you back to the previously selected driver(s)

    Dave Lear, Oct 15, 2005
  6. You don't want to "parallel" two devices into one port. HP did nothing to
    your mouse. YOU did! Each device must be plugged into it's own port. Don't
    be cheap. Buy an add-in USB 2.0 adapter card and get 4-5 additional ports to
    use.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban