    mode called "Telephone Quality" which uses 11.025 KHz and 8 bits only.

    Comments?

    -Ramon

    Ramon F Herrera, Jul 7, 2005

  2. real telco digital data uses 8000 8-bit samples/sec. (64kbit/sec.)

    There's some (but not a whole lot) excuse for going higher sampling and/or
    higher bit depth, so as to avoid 'off by one' errors, due to slight
    timing and/or quantization differences between your gear, and the telco's.

    For "best quality", use an uncompressed audio format. For voice, there
    is _very_little_ "noticable" loss, using a 'lossy' compression format
    at 32-kbit/sec.

    Robert Bonomi, Jul 7, 2005

  3. No. They sample at 8 KHz, but use a dynamic range compression called
    A-law (or uLaw, if in rightopondia. Very similar, but not exactly like.).
    The sampling needs to be at 13-14 bits, and it is advantagous to
    oversample by one bit. The result transmitted over the wire is a
    stream of 8-bit semilogarithmic values.

    GSM samples at the same frequency and at 13 bits, and applies a
    compression algorithm to the data, yielding a data stream of
    packets; nominally at 12 kilobits. It sounds "mobile phone".

    These encodings are reasonably good at handling small amounts of
    data loss.

    iLBC and G.729 (proprietary) use similar principles as GSM, but
    are not as bandwidth-constraimed, at various points in the 20-40
    kilobit range. iLBC uses a lot, G.729 a great deal of processing
    power in both ends, but sound pretty good.

    ADPCM and G.726 use adaptive PCM encodings, taking the idea of
    dynamic compression in A-Law even further. They are not as
    processing-intensive, but sound "blander" than G.729 and iLBC.

    G.723.1 is the last one I'll cover; a pure vocoder, representing
    coded phonemes instead of voice. Extremely good at getting sort
    of intelligable speech through at 5.3 kilobits; but sounds VERY
    much like D.Duck. Also proprietary.
    If you are using asterisk throughout, have a good network (but not
    unlimited bandwidth) and have fast servers for asterisk I would go
    for iLBC.

    If you have a rotten network use GSM and large jitter buffers.

    If you have unlimited bandwidth use G.711. (Alaw or uLaw depending
    on continent).

    Some phones and adapters may lead you to use G.726 or Speex.

    -- mrr

    Morten Reistad, Jul 21, 2005