    ratio of a 480X576 resolution video to a 480X576 playback aspect ratio.
    What program allows to edit a mpeg2 or (ATI *.VCR) video retaining a
    playback aspect ratio?

    Dima, Jan 19, 2005

  2. Linux transcode
    from man transcode;
    --export_asr C
    set export aspect ratio code C [as input]

    Valid codes for C are:
    1 1:1
    2 4:3
    3 16:9
    4 2.21:1
    Linux ffmpeg
    -aspect aspect
    set aspect ratio (4:3, 16:9 or 1.3333, 1.7777)

    Jan Panteltje, Jan 19, 2005

  3. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Thanks for your reply.
    Will Linux transcode retain, not change video resolution in pixels?
    Will it work in windows?

    Dima, Jan 19, 2005
  4. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Dima, Jan 19, 2005
  5. If the source code for transcode is availible then you may be able to
    install Cygwin (UNIX for Windows) and compile transcode under Cygwin.

    Cygwin is free from: http://www.cygwin.com/

    I have Cygwin installed at home and work.

    Later,
    Steven

    Steven Whatley, Jan 19, 2005
  6. Dima

    Dima Guest

    Is the source code for transcode available?
    How to compile transcode under Cygwin?

    Dima, Jan 19, 2005
  7. Dima

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Those Linux fanatics can be so annoying sometimes. Changing
    OS is hardly an answer to your problem, seldom is.

    Most any Encoder will allow you to establish aspect ratio settings
    including the playback bit. I use the TMPGEnc Encoders 2.5 & 3.0,
    but even most filter based encoders allow such settings.

    Linux has its place, but it has a long way to go before it is able to
    compete in the general consumer PC market.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Jan 19, 2005
  8. Dima

    theyak Guest

    While we're waxing philosophical, all that has to happen for linux to
    explode in popularity is for game developers to start using opengl or
    the like...

    theyak, Jan 19, 2005
  9. Dima

    Biz Guest

    Gordian Knot...

    Biz, Jan 19, 2005
  10. True enough, but the fact remains that, in the hands of a skiled user,
    Linux is far more powerful than Windows.

    relaxification, Jan 19, 2005
  11. Dima

    Lenroc Guest

    Bah.

    In the hands of a sufficiently skilled user, the operating system is
    irrelevant.

    Lenroc, Jan 19, 2005
  12. Dima

    Ken Maltby Guest

    True also; but the fact remains that, in the hands of a skilled
    programmer
    any assembly language is far more powerful than Windows, Linux, or any
    higher level language.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Jan 19, 2005
  13. ehh, if you go to the same format.
    Nope

    Jan Panteltje, Jan 19, 2005
  14. Well, the few windows fanatics left wil have to go Unux one day too.
    You have no clue, *I* use a PC to solve a problem.
    Linux has the solution to this specific problem.
    If you want to have a relationship wint MS soft, more then a solution to
    a technical problem, why not go for a job at MS.

    Jan Panteltje, Jan 19, 2005
  15. Possibly, but much easier to install Linux in a partition and use the other
    million or so free programs too.

    Jan Panteltje, Jan 19, 2005
  16. In the hands of a sufficiently 'skilled' president the lives of many are irrelevant.

    Jan Panteltje, Jan 19, 2005
  17. Linux is no language.
    It is an operating systenm, partly written in C and guess what, partly in
    assembler.
    So you get a clue.

    Jan Panteltje, Jan 19, 2005
  18. Dima

    Steve K. Guest

    Quicktime.

    Steve K., Jan 19, 2005
  19. Dima

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Just following the chain of your illogic to its conclusion.
    ( That's a clue so you might catch my point.)

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Jan 19, 2005
  20. Dima

    FLY135 Guest

    Funny thing. I am building a streaming MPEG-4 encoder at work and Quicktime
    doesn't obey the pixel aspect value when RTP/RTSP streaming. OTOH Videolan
    Client does. I know that's not relevant to this discussion but it struck me
    as funny if it handles it properly in file conversions.

    FLY135, Jan 20, 2005