  1. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    Just curious.

    Wild Coyote, May 21, 2007

  2. Per Wild Coyote:
    I use BrainForest - a hierarchal DB tool - on my Palm Pilot.

    (PeteCresswell), May 22, 2007

  3. Wild Coyote

    def456 Guest

    I just keep an alphabetical list in my word processor.

    def456, May 22, 2007
  4. Wild Coyote

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Oldus Fartus, May 22, 2007
  5. I use Doug's list, and add a column to it for ownership, place
    purchased, date purchased, and purchase price.

    There is a picture of my main page in alt.binaries.misc called DVD
    Database Screenshot.

    The advantages of my method are that the database is free, constantly
    updated, and the only data the user has to put in is purchase data, and
    some occasional update merges to keep current. The other advantage is
    that a vast database of nearly all titles available are placed at one's
    fingertips.

    The Great Attractor, May 22, 2007
  6. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    Tried to go to abm, It was going to take too long. I have DVD
    Profiler 3.0 now, but the thing has become way too complicated and the
    fighting in the forums and at the contribution level is just not worth
    it anymore. There is a select group that just make it a very
    miserable experience to try and contribute. The cover scan is only 72
    dpi, reject and you get the idea.

    I will look at Doug's list.

    Wild Coyote, May 22, 2007
  7. Wild Coyote

    Phisherman Guest

    I use a folder and store scanned copies of the disc and box in the
    folder--no special program needed, although maybe someday I'll use a
    spreadsheet. I store my DVDs alphabetically so they are very easy to
    find (I wish Blockbuster and Hollywood would do the same.)

    Phisherman, May 22, 2007
  8. Wild Coyote

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Just made a huge table in Excel.

    The columns are: Title, Discs, Thickness Watched and Notes

    Title is self explanatory.

    Discs is how many discs in the title. This includes special feature
    discs, or multiple discs in a TV season box.

    Thickness is how many standard DVD cases wide is the case. Your typical
    movie will have a thickness of "1" whereas a slimcase boxset might have a
    thickness of "3.5". Useful for determining how much storage is needed
    when most furniture simply says "holds 250 DVDs". Easy enough to
    translate back into inches or centimeters as well.

    Watched is simply a field to track when's the last time I've watched a
    particular title. Can also be useful to determine if a disc is worth
    holding onto or not, if it hasn't been watched lately (or ever,
    unfortunately...)

    Notes can hold things like whether a disc is non-Region1, if it's been
    lent to someone, or is part of a boxset (eg. Mel Brook's Collection)

    Doug Jacobs, May 23, 2007

  9. You scan your DVD boxes? That's funny.

    Dude, just grab the BEST cover art there is right off the Amazon.com
    site for ant given title. Hi-res, fairly uniform sizing, and no extra
    work requisites!

    The Great Attractor, May 23, 2007
  10. I've never been able to get the "high quality" cover images, they say
    they download but all I get are these nasty little thumbnails. :p

    Jonathan Brisby, May 23, 2007
  11. Wild Coyote

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Yeah, and like a chiuaua with ADD and OCD, he seems obsessed at following
    me around, yapping at my ankles.

    Doug Jacobs, May 24, 2007
  12. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    If you are talking DVD Profiler, you have to pay $30 or so and get the
    premium registration. Then go into options and change to the high
    quality scans.

    Wild Coyote, May 24, 2007
  13. Also, generally speaking, when a troll starts to sense that he's losing
    his "core" fanbase and being in danger of shunned, netcopping, or
    otherwise finally losing his reliable daily meal-ticket, it's usually
    the same pattern:

    The troll starts "digging in the trenches", getting ready for a long
    defensive that will focus the attention on *him*, instead of what he
    hoped were going to be "stealth" posts, and begins fantasizing that he
    is an invaluable part of the group--
    He's already convinced himself, and now tries to convince anyone who
    bothers to talk to him, that he is the SOLE DEVOTED GUARDIAN to What
    This Group Is About...And will snap at any "foreign" crossposter,
    burn-the-witch any off-topic thread, and tell any deviator from format
    that there's only *one* way we post round these parts, pardner!
    While, if he's even lucky to get that much attention anymore, maybe one
    of the other actual posters apologizes to newbies, saying, "Oh, don't
    pay any attention, he thinks he's a regular..."

    And again, it's any troll will fall back on "Group purity" delusions,
    but you can always single-out that particular old-old-OLD-skool
    geriatric 90's-geezer trying to bring back that faraway decade he loved,
    by his "B-but...he TOP-POSTED, people, everyone always gets mad at that,
    don't they...nowadays?..."

    Derek Janssen
    [email protected]

    Derek Janssen, May 24, 2007
  14. Wild Coyote

    6forPizza Guest

    Horsehit!
    Prove it!
    Where do you work and what do you really do?
    C'mon, don't keep us in suspense.

    6forPizza, May 24, 2007
  15. Wild Coyote

    6forPizza Guest

    Don't forget, when proven wrong or shown to be a fool, dodge and evade,
    bob and weave, bullshit, smoke and mirrors, spew excessive hatred
    and change the subject.

    He not only thinks that he is the SOLE DEVOTED GUARDIAN of this
    newsgroup, he thinks that he actually makes the world a better
    place.

    6forPizza, May 24, 2007
  16. "Red-herring" subjects usually, in most sample cases, being changed to:
    - Favorite off-topic hobby that was the "comfortable" subject of the
    last old-home group the troll habited (in 90's geezer-troll's case,
    usually gaming or vintage-computer tech)
    - Creative-writing insults out of all possible context, since he was on
    a roll, or
    - Steering the subject onto some overexposed wacky pop-kitsch headline,
    like that Heroes season finale, WTF was up with THAT?? ;)
    - Distracting the enemy with nitpicking micro-minutiae traps about any
    of the above--The minute the troll asks you to quote, "prove" any
    thread officially over.

    ....Publish or perish, publish or perish:
    Trolls only exist in online virtual form; the troll who doesn't
    constantly remind the world of his very presence is invisible, and the
    invisible troll doesn't exist--
    A troll is a poster who fights a daily battle against blinking out of
    existence.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, May 24, 2007
  17. Per :
    If you are missing something, I'm missing it too.

    My take is that the prohibition is, in part, a carryover from
    command-line readers - where the user could not browse a thread
    easily.

    Given some people's tendency to quote entire messages - where the
    quoted text occupies my entire screen and then some - forcing me
    to scroll down to see their one-line reply; I often *prefer* to
    see people top-post.

    (PeteCresswell), May 24, 2007
  18. Wild Coyote

    Charlie+ Guest

    On Wed, 23 May 2007 23:13:13 -0700, The Great Attractor
    scribble :

    plonk!

    Charlie+, May 25, 2007
  19. Wild Coyote

    Bill's News Guest

    A few years ago I wrote a simple VB6 data entry form for title,
    IMDB pointer, and a few other specifics and opinions regarding
    DVDs and TV capture files. The output from this simple program
    is an HTML table-entry dumped to the clipboard. The entire
    video title listing is maintained this way and thus can be
    viewed locally or remotely.

    There is nothing "automatic" about it. I open the data entry
    form and IMDB along with the HTML text version (using TextPad).
    I look up the title in IMDB, copy/paste pertinent data to the
    form, add some info from the cover and/or from reviewing the
    video, then squeeze out a formatted HTML table entry which is
    clipped and copied to the file via TextPad. In the case of
    off-line storage, the HTML contains where to find it - as all
    the homemade discs are numbered and rewritable, many containing
    multiple videos.

    Not all of the several hundred on-line titles are entered in to
    the database, as they are not copied to burnable media. There
    are only 4 drives, totaling just below 2 terabytes, which
    contain videos and windows explorer is more than adequate to
    browse among them - until Alzheimer's sets in, at which time I
    will need only ONE video for the rest of time!!

    Bill's News, May 26, 2007
  20. Wild Coyote

    Stan Brown Guest

    It's really not hard -- we grow up used to statement or question
    preceding response. Reading them backwards requires more eye movement
    (and on screen, more scrolling).

    And "it's better to top post when you full quote" is doubly wrong
    because full quoting is wrong.

    http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/unice.htm contains summaries and some
    links to longer discussions.

    Stan Brown, May 26, 2007