    deficiencies they have found so far.

    Thanks

    Ed

    EAL, Oct 4, 2007

  2. EAL

    Annika1980 Guest

    It can't cook.

    Annika1980, Oct 4, 2007

  3. EAL

    Cynicor Guest

    It's also pixel-limited to 10.1MP. There's a poor selection of body
    colors. It also doesn't support the BMP, GIF, or PSD formats right out
    of the camera. It can't fit in your shirt pocket. You have to point it
    at the thing you want to photograph. The batteries run out after a few
    hundred shots. You can't connect it to the Packard-Bell computer I had
    in 1994. The menu languages don't come in Cornish. The Live View isn't
    predictive of what's about to happen in a few seconds.

    Canon really missed an opportunity with this one.

    Cynicor, Oct 4, 2007
  4. EAL

    just bob Guest

    just bob, Oct 4, 2007
  5. EAL

    Charles Guest

    Have they got autocomposition working right yet?

    Charles, Oct 4, 2007
  6. EAL

    D-Mac Guest

    Whatever you do, don't ask Canon for some example images... They'll show you
    30D pics and tell you they are just a progressive development over them!!
    TRUE!

    Doug

    D-Mac, Oct 4, 2007
  7. EAL

    Allen Guest

    I've heard that it flunked parallel parking when it took its driver's
    license test. Also, it isn't much good as a defibrillator. In spite of
    so many problems, though, if I could afford one I would certainly buy one.
    Allen

    Allen, Oct 4, 2007
  8. EAL

    Frank Arthur Guest

    I noticed 4 replies since your post and not a single one aswered your
    question. Nor did they provide any help to you or anyone in the
    newsgroup.
    Why don't you get rid of them by blocking- or if you use Windows XP
    Create
    a Rule to remove them?

    Frank Arthur, Oct 4, 2007
  9. I have a 20D and a 5D, so can't answer directly. But from my perusing
    the digital NGs and reading all threads about this camera the answer
    would be: No; nothing significant.

    Having said that, this NG is going through a period of pure
    contentiousness, so expect to see contrarian views.

    John McWilliams, Oct 4, 2007
  10. Thanks for revealing your humor impaiment, because it's important to
    know this about a...oh, sorry, that was established long ago. I'll try
    harder to keep up...

    sheepdog 2007, Oct 4, 2007
  11. EAL

    Cynicor Guest

    No it's not.

    Cynicor, Oct 4, 2007
  12. EAL

    Cynicor Guest

    Seconded.

    Cynicor, Oct 4, 2007
  13. Yes it IS!

    John McWilliams, Oct 4, 2007
  14. EAL

    Cynicor Guest

    But that was my only line!

    Cynicor, Oct 4, 2007
  15. Arguments are down the hall. This is Abuse!

    John McWilliams, Oct 4, 2007
  16. The only deficiency I have found is my lack of funds. I say go ahead if
    you can.

    Carl Neil Ellwood, Oct 4, 2007
  17. EAL

    Charles Guest

    Have only two full days of use ... so be wary of what I write. Conclusions
    so far:

    1/ Like the feel, the menus, and the large LCD viewer.
    2/ I also have a 20D so it was extremely easy to begin using.
    3/ Ambivalent about some of the new features such as live view.
    4/ 10 MP no big deal over the 8 MP predecessors.
    5/ It's an easier to use and faster and slightly more rugged 20D.

    One poster suggested the forum at DPreview ... OK but there is a lot of
    trolling going on there and a few disgruntled users who are casting a
    distorted view.

    I'd say, the 20D the 30D and the 40D are all just fine for most users (IQ is
    very close). The quickness and larger buffer of the 40D could be very
    important for some users.

    Charles, Oct 4, 2007
  18. It's just red-herring noise replies to evade all the huge underexposure and
    other metering issues that these cameras have, to try to correct for the
    inherent highlight clipping.

    It's funny to watch their nervous wiggling. They must be 40D (or other dSLR)
    owners trying to distract themselves from the faults of their chosen purchase.
    They spent all that money and were told by the resident "pros" that any dSLR
    has better performance and less problems than any P&S camera, so it has to be
    one of the better cameras out there, right? Right?

    :)

    The oxymoronic humor provided by the dSLR marching-band (of clowns) is endless.

    dave_thomasnis, Oct 5, 2007
  19. EAL

    Annika1980 Guest

    The man asked about problems with the 40D. Nobody provided any.
    I'd say he got his answer.

    My biggest gripe with it so far has been that it'll tear through a 2GB
    card in no time flat. Now I'm going to have to get at least a 8GB
    card.

    Also, the plug for the remote cable release is reversed from the
    orientation on the 20D. Instead of the cable going toward the back of
    the camera (which makes more sense) the 40D routs it to the front of
    the body. Personally, I take most of my pics from behind the camera,
    but I guess this way is better for self-portraits.

    Annika1980, Oct 5, 2007

  20. I noticed that too. I think they did it like that because of the video ports
    right next to the remote cable port..
    I think those 2 ports should have been reversed then facing the remote cable
    to the back would not cause it to over lap the other port.
    if they did it the other way for the 20d perhaps this was just a silly mix
    up on Canons part.
    I still love the camera.

    Tom

    Just Shoot Me, Oct 5, 2007