What Print resolution for Epson 760

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by david-witts, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. david-witts

    david-witts Guest

    Hi,

    I'm getting myself into some trouble trying to print some photo scans
    onto my Epson stylus 760.

    I'll scan a photo/negative etc at a high resolution so that there is
    enough detail and the file size isn't too large. For a 6x4 photo the
    auto option of my scanner picks 300 dpi.

    However, when I print onto glossy paper and the resolution is too high
    (using the standard scan file) then the paper becomes saturated with
    ink and smears and too low a resolution (resize the picture to 170dpi
    using software, i.e. changes the file size NOT picture dimensions) the
    resolution the output becomes grainy.

    What is the best resolution for printing with this printer (yes i
    could experiment but its very expensive in paper and ink)

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Davy

    david-witts, Mar 1, 2005

  2. david-witts

    rafe bustin Guest

    See www.scantips.com

    A good round number to start with is 300 dpi
    at the output.

    In other words your 4x6" print needs a file
    that is

    (4 * 300) x (6 x 300) pixels.

    The "saturation" of your print is more likely
    due to inappropriate printer settings or an
    incompatible paper surface. Epson printers
    are a bit fussy about their papers.

    In the Epson print driver you need to select
    a paper type that roughly matches what you're
    printing on.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Mar 1, 2005

  3. david-witts

    Bob Williams Guest

    Are you using Epson Inks and Epson Paper?
    I have tried lots of different combinations of inks and papers.
    The results were extremely variable.
    All the way from very good to AWFUL.
    An ink that works well with Paper "A" may be terrible with paper "B".
    Until you get a combination that works well, stick with Epson inks and
    Papers.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Mar 2, 2005
  4. david-witts

    david-witts Guest

    Thanks all,

    No I'm not using Epson inks, just some cheap compatible.

    Tried printing on the 5000 ish dpi glossy card at 300dpi and the
    results were awful.

    Tried the same print using some TESCO glossy paper and the prints were
    very good.

    Conclusion is that Bob you are right. Probably with Epson inks and
    paper the results will be ok but with other paper/ink combinations
    experimentation is required.

    Thanks for the tips

    Regards

    Davy