What prevents a SIP <=> Skype Gateway?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Inman Harvey, Oct 18, 2006.

  1. Inman Harvey

    Inman Harvey Guest

    Skype presumably maintains its incompatibility with SIP through a
    commercial calculation that it is in Skype's interests to lock in customers.

    But what is to prevent someone setting up a SIP <=> Skype Gateway that
    had eg 'sipgateway' as a skype address that could be suffixed by any
    sip-address, and vice versa?

    (A) Technical problems? Translation between protocols, timelags?
    Bandwidth bottleneck when usage exploded?

    (B) Financing problems? Charge a small monthly fixed fee to register for
    the gateway? Or a very small usage charge? Both Skype and SIP parts
    would be cost-free to the gateway.

    (C) Legal problems? Might Skype shut off the Skype connection if they
    thought their interests were threatened?

    Has nobody thought of/tried this before? If one of you sets this up and
    makes a fortune, can you cut me in for 1% for providing the idea? :^)

    Inman Harvey

    Inman Harvey, Oct 18, 2006

  2. Inman Harvey

    Inman Harvey Guest

    Inman Harvey wrote:
    .... I was just starting to work out what 1% of $1 billion was when I
    thought I would Google "sip skype gateway"
    eg
    http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-kea...-gateway-breaks-skypes-great-wall-of-voip.asp
    or
    http://forum.skype.com/lofiversion/index.php/t59496.html
    .... but this runs just one connection.

    I am still interested in answers to the questions :^(

    Inman Harvey

    Inman Harvey, Oct 18, 2006

  3. Inman Harvey

    PhilT Guest

    the cost / complexity of having to reverse engineer the Skype protocols
    perhaps, and possible licensing / patent legal problems ? SIP is open
    standard publicly defined, Skype is proprietary ie someone owns it.

    Easier to wean people off Skype by pointing out that its a proprietary
    monopoly - Microsoft reincarnated.

    Phil

    PhilT, Oct 18, 2006
  4. Inman Harvey

    hairydog Guest

    I set one up when I was playing with a voip setup here. Basically, it
    was a sip interface that ran a copy of skype on a pc, so although it
    worked fine, it was a one call at a time solution, and the transcoding
    took processor time as well as reducing quality.

    I really can't see much point in it, but then again I don't use skype.

    hairydog, Oct 20, 2006
  5. Inman Harvey

    Brian A Guest

    The only advantages of Skype are that it does video and that it takes
    no setting up. However, I think that the SIP 'Gizmo Project' doesn't
    take any setting up afaik - It must be easy as it seems that quite a
    lot of people are using it.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Skype Free Zone!!

    Brian A, Oct 21, 2006
  6. Inman Harvey

    alexd Guest

    SIP does video too.

    alexd, Oct 21, 2006
  7. Inman Harvey

    PeterW Guest

    .... and the XTEN free SIP phone supports Video (and Video conferencing). It
    is now based on the eye-beam phone.

    Peter

    PeterW, Oct 23, 2006