What OS did Iran use? Stuxnet malware

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by RayLopez99, Dec 22, 2010.

  1. RayLopez99

    RayLopez99 Guest

    If they used Windows with the latest patches from Norton, arguably
    this would never have happened. But thank Allah for Linux and "virus
    free computing", LOL!

    RL

    http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News/Article.aspx?id=199475

    Last month, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the United
    Nation’s nuclear watchdog, said that Iran had suspended work at its
    nuclear-field production facilities, likely a result of the Stuxnet
    virus.

    According to Langer, Iran’s best move would be to throw out all of the
    computers that have been infected by the worm, which he said was the
    most “advanced and aggressive malware in history.” But, he said, even
    once all of the computers were thrown out, Iran would have to ensure
    that computers used by outside contractors were also clean of Stuxnet.

    “It is extremely difficult to clean up installations from Stuxnet, and
    we know that Iran is no good in IT [information technology] security,
    and they are just beginning to learn what this all means,” he said.
    “Just to get their systems running again they have to get rid of the
    virus, and this will take time, and then they need to replace the
    equipment, and they have to rebuild the centrifuges at Natanz and
    possibly buy a new turbine for Bushehr.”

    RayLopez99, Dec 22, 2010

  2. “It is extremely difficult to clean up installations from Stuxnet, and
    Do they care about invisible things? I doubt it... except maybe their
    God. Bullets and bombs are more visible. :)

    --
    @[email protected] Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.36.2

    Man-wai Chang, Dec 22, 2010

  3. You need to understand the situation. There is the mullahs, and the
    revolutionary guard, to whom all such things are profane, and then there
    is the legislature which really would love to get rid of the mullahs, so
    THEY could have the revolutionary guard, and do all the politically
    suitable things like blaming the Israelis for everything, including the
    Americans, and then there is the vast majority of the population who got
    pissed off with the Shah not being sensitive to their beliefs, and
    raking in oil money, so they whizzed him out and got someone they had
    never heard of and a theocracy instead.

    Apart from a certain nationalism, I am sure the people are only too
    happy to have the computers totally borked.

    the Mullahs neither know nor care.

    its the legislature that is involved in fomenting a war against the
    hated Jew, etc etc. etc. And the bomb is there to be waved at Tel Aviv.

    The Natural Philosopher, Dec 22, 2010
  4. FromTheRafters, Dec 22, 2010
  5. RayLopez99

    Peter Foldes Guest

    Better smarten up Ray. Linux is vulnerable to virus and malware just as Windows and
    Mac is. Get the facts Ray. before putting your fingers to use as you did here

    One of many that is available
    http://www.vupen.com/english/linux-advisories/2

    --
    Peter
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Peter Foldes, Dec 22, 2010
  6. Ari Silverstein, Dec 22, 2010
  7. RayLopez99

    DASSFox Guest

    Why are you two being such assholes, Ray's almost as smart as I am.

    Please don't get to technical if you don't have to, some of the
    readers might not understand, me included, LOL...

    THANKS

    DASSFox, Dec 22, 2010
  8. RayLopez99

    LunchBox Guest

    Sometimes I honestly wish there was no Internet. It's made life,
    relationships, choices, trust, etc. so very complicated.

    Signed,

    Lunchturds
    ______________
    / \
    | WHAAAAAAAAAAA! |
    \__ _________/
    / ,'
    _.~._ /,'
    ,~'[email protected]~.`~.
    / : _..._ : \
    { :,"''\\`".: }
    `C) 0 _ 0 (--.._,-"""-.__
    ( ) @ ( ) `.
    `-.-_-.-' \
    ,' \ / ,` ;`-._,-.
    ,' ,'/ ,' `---t.,-. \_
    ,--.,',' ,'----.__\ _( \----'
    '///,`,--.,' `-.__.--' `. )
    '///,' `-`

    LunchBox, Dec 22, 2010
  9. And your one round of evolution from a muddy pond's amoebae.
    You especially.
    Welcum.

    Ari Silverstein, Dec 22, 2010
  10. RayLopez99

    za kAT Guest

    Uh, shouldn't that be

    httpS://www.microsoft.com/protect/ you know to be protected and all?

    za kAT, Dec 22, 2010
  11. FromTheRafters, Dec 22, 2010
  12. RayLopez99

    za kAT Guest

    Because it won't load SSL?

    za kAT, Dec 22, 2010
  13. Who cares? What's to protect in that connection?

    FromTheRafters, Dec 22, 2010
  14. RayLopez99

    za kAT Guest

    Turn around. See that jet plane that just flew right over the point on
    your head?

    LunchBox, Dec 22, 2010
  17. I believe it is important to interject here that questions are poor
    forms of answering questions. lol

    Ari Silverstein, Dec 22, 2010
  18. RayLopez99

    Rex Ballard Guest

    Wrong!

    Remember, Norton doesn't actually prevent malware from downloading
    viruses into the computer, it just detects the infected files and
    quarantines or removes them. The agent is almost never "detected" or
    blocked - because it's Microsoft's standard functionality.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet
    <quote>
    Stuxnet is a Windows-specific computer worm[Notes 1] first discovered
    in July 2010 by VirusBlokAda, a security firm based in Belarus.
    </quote>

    Worse, it gets Windows to corrupt industrial control devices.
    Sounds like he's recommending that they should get rid of all those
    Windows computers. Since the infected computers could corrupt the
    controllers again.

    Rex Ballard, Dec 22, 2010
  19. RayLopez99

    za kAT Guest

    za kAT, Dec 22, 2010
  20. RayLopez99

    Lusotec Guest

    Reboot computer, insert GNU/Linux install CD or USB drive, install.
    Extremely difficult? Not!

    Regards.

    Lusotec, Dec 22, 2010