    to more of the same. I know that heavy-handed, quasi-military
    operations like the Dotcom swoop are part of the American culture, but
    do we want this kind of storm trooper mentality here? I know I don't.

    Donchano, Feb 12, 2012

  2. ... not sure where I saw it now, but somewhere in newsgroup land, there's a
    fine .sig that says something like ...

    Everyone is allowed to be stupid. Some people abuse the priviledge.

    :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 13, 2012

  3. NO IT DID NOT DO A THING IT WAS A FILE SHARING SERVICE JUST LIKE
    RAPIDSHARE, IF YOU WISH TO DNLOAD MORE DATA AND AT HIGH SPEEDS THEN YOU
    PAY LIKE ALL THE 100 SITES THAT DO THE SAME THING.

    Frank Williams, Feb 13, 2012

  4. What he was up to was to provide a alternative Music service that was
    supported by Musicians that by passed the RIAA, Musicians would get more
    money than they get Cents from the corrupt RIAA , this has been reported
    on the Radio and TV.

    Frank Williams, Feb 13, 2012

  5. Its called US blackmail all to do with this Stupid free trade agreement
    with the US..

    They had done it with Spain, Have copyright laws or we will block your
    trade..

    Frank Williams, Feb 13, 2012
  6. Donchano

    victor Guest

    You can choose how you set the price on bandcamp.
    If people play zero then its not a problem because it was your choice to
    give them that option.

    http://thenakedandfamous.bandcamp.com/album/passive-me-aggressive-you
    http://flyingnun.bandcamp.com/album/tally-ho-flying-nuns-greatest-bits
    http://disasteradio.bandcamp.com/album/charisma
    http://lordecho.bandcamp.com/album/melodies.

    victor, Feb 13, 2012
  7. Donchano

    Guest Guest

    Could you please explain in detail about what was over the top, heavy
    handed or quasi military about the dotcom swoop?

    Try reading this.
    http://www.tenone.police.govt.nz/tenone/February12National1.htm

    I think your attitude is outrageous and an insult to the police in
    this country.

    <quote>
    The high-profile operation centred on Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom in
    Auckland was the culmination of several months of careful planning by
    staff in Auckland and Wellington.
    Termination phases were simultaneously carried out in nine countries.
    Ten search warrants were executed at addresses across Auckland.
    <>

    Why in the world would the police "grandstand".
    The operation was early in the morning. STANDARD PROCEDURE.
    They broke into the house because they had arrest warrants and were
    locked out. STANDARD PROCEDURE.
    They were armed because they had reason to expect resistance. STANDARD
    PROCEDURE.

    What exactly is grandstanding to you? If you see a police car with a
    siren going racing to someone's assistance is that grandstanding?

    You sound like one of these people who support the senseless vandalism
    at Waihopai that cost this country 3.5 million dollars.

    How would you feel if the All Blacks didn't make any money from
    advertising revenue because someone intercepted the broadcast and
    rebroadcast it for free over the internet?

    How would you feel if you wrote a song that should have earnt you ten
    million dollars over the rest of your life and you didn't make a cent
    because nobody bought the recording?

    Guest, Feb 13, 2012
  8. Donchano

    victor Guest

    If that is true then how did MegaUpload make any money ?

    Its also supply and demand in the case of movies and TV programs, which
    is the majority of p2p traffic.
    http://boingboing.net/2012/02/13/bittorrent-doesnt-hurt-us-bo.html

    victor, Feb 13, 2012
  9. Donchano

    victor Guest

    BS
    Everything about it was done to maximize its PR value, and it will
    continue to be a show trial.
    PR is a police propaganda tactic, they have campaigns all the time and
    embedded reporting crews and publicists.

    Your All Blacks reference is a far fetched fantasy, the only reason
    anyone would do that is if it wasn't already made easily available for
    the sponsors $$$$$$$$$

    victor, Feb 13, 2012
  10. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    See below.
    From TV3 News online: Seventy-six police officers, many armed with
    automatic weapons and pistols, including members of the elite Special
    Tactics Group, arrived at Kim Dotcom’s Coatesville property on January
    20, to arrest him on charges relating to copyright offences.

    And: Even the police officer says there has never been a raid like
    this before in New Zealand.

    WTF was STANDARD about that? Even the police say there has never been
    a raid like this one before in NZ.
    All the publicity and media coverage immediately following the raid
    might give you a hint. According to a leader accompanying an article
    on NZ Herald online, the raids were carried out during a birthday
    party in order to cause Dotcom "maximum embarrassment." They corralled
    EVERYONE - not just the individuals specified in the arrest warrant/s.

    They rousted the children's nanny's from their beds at gunpoint. They
    forced Dotcom's heavily pregnant wife stand outdoors in the cold and
    wet for over an hour. She was guarded by two police officers even
    though she had broken no laws.

    According to another NZ Herald article: The rooms used by the nannies,
    close to the children's room, have splintered door frames. The nannies
    have said the doors were unlocked and armed police stormed in
    shouting, "Do you have any guns or bombs?

    Seventy-six police officers, many armed with automatic weapons and
    pistols, including members of the elite Special Tactics Group back by
    helicopters to arrest how many people? Five.

    And you don't think that's grandstanding?
    You're making some very shaky and offensive assumptions here. I do not
    support mindless parasites like that and never have.
    Again, you are jumping to conclusions. Lynch mob mentality, trial by
    media or some arrogant jerk in a Usenet newsgroup has never appealed
    to me. I'm very happy with the time honoured principle of presumption
    of innocence.
    My comments and query were not about what Dotcom and co may or may not
    have done to lead to their current predicament. I'm not in a position
    to judge, and neither are you.

    What I am concerned about is how their arrest was executed.

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10783521

    To quote from Brian Rudman's Op-ed piece titled: Dotcom raid threat to
    sovereignty

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10782485

    As far as issues of sovereignty are concerned, the ownership of a
    handful of remote dairy farms is of much less concern to me than the
    thought of the world's only super-power, dialling up the local
    Auckland police and deputising a mini-Swat team of 70 to swoop down in
    helicopters in a dawn raid on a Coatesville mansion to arrest the
    leaders of an international internet file-sharing site that's been
    getting up the noses of Hollywood film moguls.

    Coming fast on the heels of extradition proceedings launched in
    Britain by the United States against a 23-year old student Richard
    O'Dwyer for similar alleged offences, it's a flexing of the imperial
    eagle's talons that should be worrying patriots everywhere. Mr
    O'Dwyer's website allegedly enabled visitors to download pirated films
    and television. If extradited he faces up to 10 years in prison even
    though there are doubts it's an offence under British law.

    There has long been debate about who should police the internet. The
    United States government, under pressure from the international movie
    and recording giants, has decided to clean up the wild west of
    cyberspace on its own. With a little help from extradition treaties it
    has with some countries - New Zealand and Britain for two - but not,
    it seems, Mr Dotcom's homeland, Germany.

    As far as international justice goes, I'm not so sure we should be
    giving the United States a free rein. When it comes to international
    crusades, the US is not averse to ignoring, or rewriting the rules of
    law. Osama bin Laden and Pakistan found out about that. So do the
    prisoners in the extraterritorial no-man's land of Guantanamo Bay. The
    word "rendition" gained a new meaning under the American justice
    system, describing the process of spiriting a suspect wrong-doer by
    plane to Afghanistan or some other lawless base, where water-boarding
    and other tortures can take place outside the bounds of the victim's
    US constitutional rights.

    New Zealand's 1970 extradition treaty with the US has been going
    through a "modernisation" process since 2006. For politicians fearful
    of threats to our sovereignty, this is a more immediate worry than the
    ownership of a few remote dairy farms.

    By Brian Rudman

    Donchano, Feb 13, 2012
  11. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    The following:

    Dotcom birthday party targeted

    By David Fisher

    5:30 AM Sunday Jan 22, 2012

    A dawn raid that landed internet mogul Kim Dotcom in jail was timed
    for his birthday celebration so his party guests could also be locked
    up.

    More at:
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10780321

    Donchano, Feb 13, 2012

  12. Seems to me you have been Conned as well, believe nothing in what you
    here and 1/2 in what you read..

    Frank Williams, Feb 13, 2012

  13. Great article I could not have said it better.

    Go watch the TV series Meltdown 4 Parts
    or the Secrets of the Seven Sisters 4 Parts CH7

    The Meltdown can be found on http://www.aljazeera.com/

    Meltdown is a Canadian made program

    All this shows how Evil the Yanks are..

    Frank Williams, Feb 13, 2012
  14. Donchano

    Guest Guest

    Wow. I'm staggered that you think this is evidence of grandstanding.
    The only people the police locked up or had any intention of locking
    up were those they had arrest warrants for or those who resisted them
    executing their search and arrest warrents, so if you want me to
    believe the Herald article then the reason for targetting the birthday
    party was because that was the easiest and surest way of getting the
    people they were after and absolutely legitimate. I never doubted it.

    Guest, Feb 14, 2012
  15. Donchano

    Guest Guest

    God. It even says it in the article you linked to

    <quote>
    Detective Inspector Grant Wormald, of the Organised & Financial Crime
    Agency New Zealand, said the planning of the raid was timed around
    Dotcom's 38th birthday celebrations, intended for yesterday.

    "Intelligence had told us that when he has a birthday party most of
    the people who were indicted (in the US) would be at his party."
    <>

    Can't you read?

    Guest, Feb 14, 2012
  16. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    If there's anything more ridiculous than an fool who doesn't know he's
    an fool, it's an fool who doesn't know when to stop proving it. At
    least your good at something.

    Donchano, Feb 14, 2012
  17. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    All five of them? Wow ...
    Can't you comprehend?

    Donchano, Feb 14, 2012
  18. Donchano

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Feb 14, 2012
  19. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    Donchano, Feb 14, 2012
  20. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    If I was a shallow jerk like you I'd point out your typo and make some
    snide, smug comment about your spelling skills. But instead I'll ask
    you to tell us exactly how mounting an operation of this size made
    the arrest cheaper for the taxpayer than a smaller, less flamboyant
    one. And by exactly, I mean some dollars and cents facts, not just
    some more of your questionable opinions.
    I see you as a blathering fool who hasn't got the self-awareness to
    recognise how ridiculous you are.
    ..

    Donchano, Feb 14, 2012