What kind of remote for 10D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charlie Self, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Charlie Self

    Charlie Self Guest

    That's it: what kind of remote release (wired) does the Canon 10D used. I am
    either missing this in the specs ands tests, or it's not mentioned.

    Charlie Self

    We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom.
    Stephen Vincent Benet
    Charlie Self, Jul 19, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. Charlie Self

    Don Forsling Guest

    I'm not sure what you mean by "what kind?" If all you need to know is what
    the stuff is, I can help. The camera uses Canon Remote Switch RS-80N3.
    There a 33-foot-long extension cord for this simple triggering switch which
    is the ET-1000N3. There is also a timer and "# of shots-per-burst" remote
    switch which is the TC-8093. The wireless controller which is pretty cool
    and can fire your camera from about city blook away is the LC4. The Canon
    unit is almost exactly the same as the one that Nikon uses except for the
    number of pins in the cables and connectors.
    Don Forsling, Jul 19, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. Charlie Self

    Lionel Guest

    Yeah, I had some trouble identifying the standard cable release from the
    literature too. The only one I could find was a ridiculously expensive
    IR cableless remote, which would've been massive overkill for my needs.
    I ended up asking at several local camera shops, where I could actually
    try before buying. The one you want is the RS-80N3, which is a simple
    two-position push button on a cable, that can also be latched to keep
    the shutter open.
    Lionel, Jul 19, 2003
  4. Malcolm Stewart, Jul 19, 2003
  5. Charlie Self

    et Guest

    3 remotes are listed in the 10D manual (p. 176)

    RS-80N3 Remote Switch $ 49.95
    TC-80N3 Timer Remote Control $129.95
    LC-4 Wireless Controller $379.95

    Prices are from B&H www.bhphotovideo.com

    Ed Toerek
    et, Jul 19, 2003
  6. Charlie Self

    Kenny Guest

    Either the RS-80N3 or the TC80N3 (this one has its own timer). If you
    have a deep wallet, you could use the Wireless LC-4. Pages 175 and 176
    of the manual (downloadable from Canon).

    Kenny, Jul 19, 2003
  7. Charlie Self

    Splitpair Guest

    FWIW The remote uses a two conductor shielded cable.

    If your handy with a soldering iron you can easily convert the 10D remote
    with a 1/8" inch stereo phono plug and jack.

    I used a Radio-Shack model 274-274 jack and a 274-284 plug. Cut the cord on
    the remote halfway between the remote and the camera plug. Then using the
    above mentioned parts connect the red wire of the remote to the tip of the
    plug the white wire to the ring of the plug and the shield to the shell.
    Connect the jack to the camera connector in the same manner using the same
    wire colors for tip ring and shell. You can now connect the plug to the jack
    and use the remote as is or add 20 foot extensions (Radio-Shack 42-2562) as
    needed. You can also purchase bulk 2 conductor shielded cable add a jack and
    plug and make a custom built cord to length as needed .

    Originally I did this with the 60t-3 remote for the T-50/70 and just
    duplicated it with the remote for the 10D.

    Splitpair, Jul 19, 2003
  8. Charlie Self

    Splitpair Guest

    BTW I am working on building a digital radio remote to go with the modified
    cable. It should have a range of 1500 feet.

    Splitpair, Jul 19, 2003
  9. Charlie Self

    Splitpair Guest

    Splitpair, Jul 19, 2003
  10. Charlie Self

    Charlie Self Guest

    Kenny et al responded helpfully:
    Wallet's not all that deep. I'm in the process of working on an insurance
    settlement that MAY allow me to pick up a 10D and some lenses to replace old
    manual equipment. I hope (wish?).

    Charlie Self

    We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom.
    Stephen Vincent Benet
    Charlie Self, Jul 20, 2003
  11. Charlie Self

    TiredRob Guest

    The extension lead is cripplingy expensive, for no good reason as far as I
    can see - but I got around the expense by simply cutting the lead in half
    and fitting my own plugs (from RS components) to it. This way I can still
    use the lead as normal (albeit with a join in the middle) or I can fit
    whatever length extension I want into the middle. Sorted.

    There are only 3 wires inside, so it's a pretty easy job if you can solder..

    TiredRob, Jul 22, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.