    target XP or Vista. The security issues on Vista & XP are not going to
    be the same on W98. Perhaps this is the wrong way to look at it? What
    do you think?

    Peter, May 15, 2009

  2. P

    tony sayer Guest

    I was very glad to see the back of it and its memory leaks when we moved
    to WIN 2000 Pro .. and that still does all we -need-

    We did have a PC here with Vista ... bib, big, mistake:(..

    tony sayer, May 15, 2009

  3. P

    Jon Danniken Guest

    IMHO, Win2k was the best OS of the bunch. I have always regretted having to
    move "up" to XP.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, May 15, 2009
  4. P

    JD Guest

    Rootkit code exploits the Kernel debug commands that are built into the
    OS they then install custom Dynamic Link Libraries (loaded in as device
    drivers) which contains the malicious code/ back doors etc they require.

    I really cant remember to be honest if win 98 has the same debug
    commands but I would assume so.

    As for writing malicious code for an outdated OS, probably not but there
    are still bugs being found that affect all versions of windows from
    Vista all the way down to 9x there was quite a famous one as an example,
    happened a good few moths ago, there was a flaw in the way that windows
    handled jpeg pictures, if code was specially crafted into a jpeg image
    and opened on a windows machine it could execute code this affected all
    versions of windows and there was a big ho-ha because Microsoft was not
    going to fix the win9x bug just the xp and vista machines, but they
    eventually issued a patch for all OS's

    Last week there was a flaw in adobes acrobat reader that affects all
    versions and all Operating systems including Linux and mac so it just
    goes to show you that you have to keep things up to date.

    But as was said on a previous post, its all down to the user really and
    there surfing habits.

    JPEG vuln (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms05-038.mspx)
    Adobe reader problem
    (http://blogs.adobe.com/psirt/2009/04/update_on_adobe_reader_issue.html)

    JD

    JD, May 15, 2009
  5. Did you get that from Freebyte, or Berkely (sp)?

    James D. Andrews, May 15, 2009
  6. P

    JD Guest

    Berkley ofcoarse www.freebsd.org also Frenzy is a very good version that
    runs from a CD good for troubleshooting etc

    JD, May 15, 2009
  7. SNIP SNIP
    I'll be interested in hearing you're results.
    Virtual machine beyond my scope. As for the XPs compatibility mode, it
    still doesn't allow all old programs. Fortunately, it does allow one of my
    most important programs, a cookbook set for Win 3.1/95. I use it quite
    often. But some of my old video games didn't survive the jump.
    I'm a lower intermediate. I rebuild and fix older systems for people who
    can't really afford computers, and solve the many operator-caused problems
    for family and extended family.

    WOW. Can I have it when you're done? :)
    Nah! Amiga was put out in mid-80s by Commodore to compete with the Mac and
    IBM-PC. It was popular for "advanced" graphics and midi. A friend of mine
    used it for his synthesizer. I went with the Commodore Colt PC-clone with
    twin 5.25" floppy drives and spent hours playing Empire. OK. I'm feeling a
    little old now.
    Woof

    James D. Andrews, May 15, 2009
  8. I write this from a 500Mhz P-III box running W98se. I am using and
    recommend that you try SeaMonkey V1.1.14. This is a functionally
    direct descendant of NS7.1 which contains both a Web browser and
    and Email and News client. You can download it from the Mozilla
    site.
    Note: The next version of SeaMonkey (V 2) will also no longer work
    with W98. But supposedly will (supposedly the beta does) work with
    one of the compatability extensions ...
    You should subscribe to the mozilla.support.seamonkey newsgroup
    on the news.mozilla.org news server. SM2 on W98+ has been discussed.

    Anyway GOOGLE SeaMonkey ...

    Rostyslaw J. Lewyckyj, May 23, 2009
  9. P

    trehook Guest

    I think that you need to upgrade to a new computer, it's probably now
    the web brower that's the problem, it's the system.

    Hope it helps you. For more information http://groups.google.com/group/trevor-hook

    Regards,
    Trevor

    trehook, Jun 3, 2009
  10. Under Win98SE I use and recommend Mozilla Firefox v.2.0.0.20
    (the last issued for Win98) downloadable from
    http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

    The most common limitation of Win98 seems to be PDF
    documents. The last Adobe AcroRead for Win98 was v.6
    and the software for XP now is up to v.8. Documents
    created under later versions sometimes prompt in V.6
    an error message that some components may not display:
    but this has never yet prevented my reading anything I
    wanted to see.

    Don Phillipson, Jun 3, 2009
  11. Hey Why don't you try mozilla its one of the best browser here is the
    link http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

    Ralph Laureen, Jun 17, 2009
  12. P

    RobF Guest

    Fire Fox won't install on Win 98. See system requirements.
    --
    RobF
    Address invalid

    RobF, Jun 17, 2009
  13. P

    GEO Me Guest

    GEO Me, Jun 23, 2009
  14. Visit Gemini-aquarius7.com

    You will find Affiliates: Wonderlabs Labs (oral Chelation - Good Variety of
    Herbs) - CloudNine ( Anti-Aging products )
    You will be able to subscribe to a Satellite web site to watch TV online -
    or download from (movies all free)

    Also a Canadian Company called Tiger Direct ( you will find a large variety
    of Products)

    Gemini-Aquarius7.com, Jun 30, 2009
  15. Visit Gemini-aquarius7.com

    You will find Affiliates: Wonderlabs Labs (oral Chelation - Good Variety of
    Herbs) - CloudNine ( Anti-Aging products )
    You will be able to subscribe to a Satellite web site to watch TV online -
    or download from (movies all free)

    Also a Canadian Company called Tiger Direct ( you will find a large variety
    of Products)

    Now, you can buy from Gemini-Aquarius7 Amazon Associate Store

    Gemini-Aquarius7.com, Jul 11, 2009