What is Wrong with New Zealand..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ken Yates, May 13, 2007.

  1. Ken Yates

    Ken Yates Guest

    Is Usenet dying here, I do notice the number of post now are way way down.

    Why do we Only have some 44 News Groups when Australia has some 236...?

    My be people here need to pull they finger out and do some thing about it..

    To me New Zealand should be ashamed of it self with such a poor list, is this why we have a poor
    crappy Internet service here..

    May be we need a Magazine or Paper supporting Usenet, like Net Guide, how about a Usenet guide, all
    the People that I know that use the Internet no Nothing at all about Usenet..?

    Articles about Internet in Magazine, Radio and TV here, never mention Usenet..

    Some thing needs to be done for we totally loose it here..

    Ken Yates, May 13, 2007

  2. Ken Yates

    sam Guest

    You and David Murray killed it long ago with your idiot flaming

    sam, May 13, 2007

  3. Ken Yates

    ttb Guest

    Forums seem to be the way of the future. I reckon they're crap theres
    always a log of garbage onscreen (pictures, emoticons, ads, etc...)
    usenet is simple fast and efficient. Hardly anyone I know has heard of
    usenet either... sigh

    ttb

    ttb, May 13, 2007
  4. Ken Yates

    XPD Guest

    Ive been using Usenet for quite sometime, and yeah, the number AND quality
    of posts has fallen a lot in the past few years.

    I run forums off my site but theres only a small number of regulars - the
    net is flooded with forums since anyone can run one.

    XPD, May 13, 2007
  5. Ken Yates

    David Guest

    No, the people who write trash have pulled out...

    David, May 13, 2007
  6. Ken Yates

    Tilly Guest

    Most people don't know about Usenet. NZ ISP's that have news servers don't
    advertise the fact.

    Tilly, May 13, 2007
  7. Ken Yates

    ~misfit~ Guest

    A) There are too many cross-posting idiots.

    ~misfit~, May 13, 2007
  8. Ken Yates

    A Cassandra Guest

    It's because we have 4 million people and Australia has 25 million
    people, stupid. So the news group ratio is just what you'd expect.

    A Cassandra, May 13, 2007
  9. Ken Yates

    Rob Guest

    Since the major isps such as telcom removed their news servers, there has
    been a big drop of people using it.

    Rob, May 13, 2007
  10. Ken Yates

    bharmer Guest

    There is a process for getting new groups established (see
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/creating-newsgroups/part1/)

    All you need to do is persuade enough people to vote for each and
    every new group you propose. As the rules say

    if 100 more valid YES/create votes are received than NO/don't
    create AND at least 2/3 of the total number of valid votes received
    are in favor of creation, a newgroup control message may be sent
    out. If the 100 vote margin or 2/3 percentage is not met, the group
    should not be created.

    Simple really. However, what NZ specific topics do you need to discuss
    that you can't already? The quality of USENET is bugger all to do
    with the number of groups IMO. It is more to do with how many genuine
    contributors there are, how well they can stay within the charter of
    thge group and how little cross posting can happen. Of the nearly
    100,000 groups worldwide, how many of them are empty and unused apart
    from spammers and trolls?

    bharmer, May 13, 2007
  11. Ken Yates

    Gordon Guest

    You mean nz.* are only 44? We get many more ng here though. ;-)

    Gordon, May 13, 2007
  12. Ken Yates

    Bobs Guest

    What kind of retarded question is that? Um....maybe because Australia is
    a larger country? I wonder how many groups Iceland has? 2?

    Yes, that's why. Our newsgroups are crap and that's why we have shit
    internet.
    Usenet is dying and will die. Text only groups don't really make sense
    in a high bandwidth environment. I like usenet, and prefer it to forums,
    but most people have never heard of it.

    Bobs, May 13, 2007
  13. Ken Yates

    Ken Yates Guest

    BUT you can dnload Binaries, I have had stacks of support for Manuals, Parts and Circuits that I
    would not get any ware else, Plus Forums are very very limited.

    But then I had a paid for NNTP/WEB Based service.
    but that should be rectified NOW.!

    Ken Yates, May 13, 2007
  14. Alas I agree with all the above. :eek:(

    Jonathan Walker, May 13, 2007

  15. Don't you remember telling us about your very large and ever-growing
    kill file?

    Because Australia is a bigger country with many more people.
    Geography clearly isn't your best subject.

    If you think there is a demand for any additional nz.* groups, go
    propose them yourself. If you do not know how to propose them, read
    section 4.0 of the nz.* usenet hierarchy FAQ:
    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/nz-news-hierarchy

    Don't be utterly daft.

    Today people want good ping times for online games, fast web browsing,
    fast torrent downloads, and so on. More nz.* groups will make not one
    jot of difference to this.

    Usenet was created in another era, when servers would dial each other
    up daily at 2am to get cheap toll rates for transferring data.

    Good. If you think there is a need, go start such a magazine.

    If you think there is a need, you go write an article.

    Kerrie Felderton, May 13, 2007
  16. Ken Yates

    ~misfit~ Guest

    LOL, I wouldn't bet on it.

    ~misfit~, May 13, 2007
  17. Ken Yates

    Ken Yates Guest

    Tell me why do you post such Tripe..?

    Ken Yates, May 13, 2007
  18. ... which is a pity as forums require registering (from the ones I've seen).
    I sure won't be doing that. Neither are they general in any way (ie one
    forum per site ... a big minus to information sharing IMO. Maybe it's part
    of the microsoft plot to control content ? :) :)

    Use it or lose it.

    ... and as an aside, crossposting is a good way to lose it IMO. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 14, 2007
  19. Ken Yates

    Kent Smith Guest

    It the registering that annoys me. Often I see forums where someone has
    posted a problem I know the answer to, I attempt to answer and they want you
    to sign up. Can't be bothered so I leave. Fair enough to prevent spamming
    but now most have the visual character verification thing I can't see the
    point of enforcing registration.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, May 14, 2007
  20. Ken Yates