    So what's so special about Christmas that workers should not be
    "intimidated" into working on that day and why is it OK to intimidate them
    into working on any other day?

    J. Clarke, Apr 23, 2006

  2. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Steven Wandy Guest

    the problem with that scenario si that B&H is run by conservative orthodox
    (1) There is no such thing as "conservative orthodox Jews". You are either a
    conservative Jew or an Orthodox Jew.
    (2) If the store ws owned by "conservative Jews", while they would not work
    on the holidays, they would possibly allow the store to remain open for
    some. (Same thing applies to Saturdays, but since B&H, Adorama, etc are open
    on Sunday, you never hear anyone complain about that.)

    Steven Wandy, Apr 23, 2006

  3. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    J. Clarke Guest

    J. Clarke, Apr 23, 2006
  4. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    henryp Guest

    We're sorry you're inconvieienced. B&H closes for just two week+
    holidays -- Passover in Spring and Sukkoth in Autumn. All our other
    holiday closings are one or two days only. Both Passover & Sukkoth a
    remade up of "major" and "minor" days.

    Passover 2006, for example:
    Thur 4/13 & Fri 4/14 were "major" days.
    Sat 4/15 was Sabbath.
    Sun - Tue 4/16-18 were "minor" days
    Wed & Thur, 4/19-20 were "major" days.

    The rule is that no work can be done and no commerce conducted on
    "major days." That doesn't mean a bunch of non-observant guys can man
    things. It means no commerce. In theory we could have opened for the
    "minor" days but management decided long ago that this was an
    opportunity for our hard-working staff to enjoy an extended time off.
    Considering we're open 6 days/week most weeks, this seems reasonable to
    me.

    We're sorry if this inconvenienced you but it's worth noting that we've
    maintained the same sechedule for decades and we make every possible
    effort to ensure that our schedule is publicized well in advance.

    Henry Posner
    B&H Photo-Video

    henryp, Apr 24, 2006
  5. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    henryp Guest

    ROFL. There are a hundred non-Jewish or non-observant Jewish employees
    here. We ALL enjoy the time off.

    henryp, Apr 24, 2006
  6. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Cynicor Guest

    Thanks, Henry. I have another question for you. Have you ever thought of
    reselling through Amazon like some other merchants (Adorama, 17th St.
    Photo) do? I was looking for something last week with Amazon gift cards,
    and if you'd have been one of the merchants I would've bought from you guys.

    Cynicor, Apr 24, 2006
  7. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    henryp Guest

    It's from the Coen Brothers' flick, "The Big Lebowski."
    It's ASCII -- Alt+0191 does it.

    henryp, Apr 24, 2006
  8. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    js Guest

    I would expect B&H's profits on such items would slim down to about nothing.
    I mean, what do they make on some of the competitively priced stuff, like
    2%?

    js, Apr 24, 2006
  9. Steven Scharf - full of misinformation as usual. Thanks for posting Henry,
    nice to see you in these newsgroups and in the forums such as dpreview.

    I appreciate the owners of B&H who are true to their faith and operate their
    business in this manner.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Apr 25, 2006
  10. Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Mike Fields Guest

    Well Henry, it certainly will not affect my willingness to buy from
    you guys again (in fact as soon as I can convince the budget
    director that I "need" that new Nikon, you will hear from me!).
    Enjoy the time off - my Visa card does not expire for a while yet.

    mikey

    Mike Fields, Apr 25, 2006
  11. I fully appreciately your personal response. Thank you!

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 25, 2006
  12. Hmm ... Adorama has similar pricing to B&H. It is conceivable that the
    business model might be a successful one. Perhaps just certain merchandise
    would be resold through Amazon.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Apr 25, 2006