    (win2k) and one by one delet applications running in the back round. Half
    of those items were essential for windows so i counld not shut them down.
    Any ideas?

    lbbss, Jan 29, 2005

  2. It's normal for there to be a trickle of traffic when not actively using
    the network. Packets are sent to see if other devices are still there,
    any new devices, DHCP discovery packets, etc. Short answer, you're
    worrying about nothing. If it's going to keep you up at night, unplug
    the friggin network cable so you won't have unwanted packets running all
    around the house at night.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 29, 2005

  3. lbbss

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | lbbss wrote:
    |
    | > I am running DU Meter that tracks what speed you are connecting at and
    you
    | > downloading and uploading speed (kB/sec). For some reason even when
    | > everything is turned off, internet etc, it still shows some downloading
    | > activity is happening at 0.8kB/sec. Is that normal? Should it not
    read
    | > zero? Do I have a hijacker or spyware? I ran swatit, spybot, and
    | > adaware. But it still does not read zero. The only time it reads
    zero is
    | > if I turn off my cable modem (I have cable light version, not the full
    high
    | > speed, only two or three times faster then dialup modem).
    | >
    | > Is there any sure way to get my DU meter to read zero when I am not
    running
    | > anything that relates to the internet? I tired going in task manager
    | > (win2k) and one by one delet applications running in the back round.
    Half
    | > of those items were essential for windows so i counld not shut them
    down.
    | > Any ideas?
    |
    | It's normal for there to be a trickle of traffic when not actively using
    | the network. Packets are sent to see if other devices are still there,
    | any new devices, DHCP discovery packets, etc. Short answer, you're
    | worrying about nothing. If it's going to keep you up at night, unplug
    | the friggin network cable so you won't have unwanted packets running all
    | around the house at night.

    But if you unplug the cable, won't the packets spill out on the floor?

    Toolman Tim, Jan 29, 2005
  4. When I unplug my cable at night I tape it to the ceiling so if any
    packets squirt out I can hear them hitting the floor. Then I send
    Krueger, my cat, to take care of them.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 29, 2005
  5. lbbss

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | > | It's normal for there to be a trickle of traffic when not actively
    using
    | > | the network. Packets are sent to see if other devices are still there,
    | > | any new devices, DHCP discovery packets, etc. Short answer, you're
    | > | worrying about nothing. If it's going to keep you up at night, unplug
    | > | the friggin network cable so you won't have unwanted packets running
    all
    | > | around the house at night.
    | >
    | > But if you unplug the cable, won't the packets spill out on the floor?
    |
    | When I unplug my cable at night I tape it to the ceiling so if any
    | packets squirt out I can hear them hitting the floor. Then I send
    | Krueger, my cat, to take care of them.

    Wow! Smart cat <g>!

    Toolman Tim, Jan 30, 2005
  6. Takes after me.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 30, 2005
  7. As long as they're dry you can vacuum them up in the morning. If
    they're wet, scrape them up with a dustpan and then mop up the stain.

    Swill

    --
    "Local Power Company, how may I assist you today?"

    "My power is going out."

    "Have all your lights gone?"

    "No, just the one in the refrigerator."

    www.userfriendly.org