    "I believe that forgiving [terrorists] is God's function.
    Our job is to arrange the meeting."
    - Norman Schwartzkopf

    The Real Bev, Jun 19, 2006

  2. Susan Roger

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Hmm ... I think that's what I said.
    Indeed.

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 19, 2006

  3. Susan Roger

    ASAAR Guest

    It would, and yet that charger hasn't treated batteries very well.
    IIRC, there were similar complaints here last year about the CP5000.
    I'm sure that the charger isn't only timer controlled, but it may
    charge slowly enough that a heat sensor wouldn't kick in, which I
    assume it has. I wouldn't be surprised at all if people that have
    the CP5000 and use it with two or more batteries, have not
    experienced any battery problems if they only recharge them when
    they've become fully depleted. That's not the best method, since it
    can lead to needing to change batteries at awkward moments, but it
    might keep the batteries working at full capacity for several years.
    The best solution for CP5000 owners would seem to be getting a
    better charger. Either an aftermarket (and cheaper) charger, or one
    that Nikon supplies with some of its more recent cameras. For all
    we know, Nikon may already have phased out the 5000's original
    charger. It would be a wise move if they have.

    ASAAR, Jun 19, 2006
  4. Susan Roger

    SMS Guest

    Cute.

    Since Thomas-Distributing and Radio Shack are the largest distributors
    of C & D cell NiMH batteries, and since both sell higher capacity cells
    than AA cells, it's probably a pretty good bet that the majority of C &
    D NiMH cells are high capacity.

    Yes, the Energizer and Ray-O-Vac are low capacity.

    SMS, Jun 19, 2006
  5. Susan Roger

    SMS Guest

    Yes, this is true. And the various connectors that are "standard" are
    not that way because of government decree, nor are AA, C, or D cells.

    If some standards committee wanted to set a standard for different
    Li-Ion batteries, then I guess that's fine, as long as it's voluntary.
    You'd still end up with maybe fifty different batteries, as size,
    voltage, and capacity vary greatly among devices.

    SMS, Jun 19, 2006
  6. Susan Roger

    pltrgyst Guest

    Better for what, exactly? Ever heard of the skin effect?

    -- Larry

    pltrgyst, Jun 19, 2006
  7. Susan Roger

    Rod Speed Guest

    Irrelevant at audio freqs.

    Rod Speed, Jun 19, 2006
  8. Susan Roger

    The Real Bev Guest

    Yeah, but I thought it was called "surface" effect. So double the
    lampcord.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev, Jun 20, 2006
  9. Yes, no doubt that original charger was discontinued when the 5400 came in.
    Since the newer MH-53 charger does those batteries and is (I see just now)
    being sold by a number of eBayers, brand new in at least one case, that
    would seem to be Susan Rogers' best bet -- unless she's completely given up
    on the 5000.

    Neil Harrington, Jun 20, 2006
  10. Susan Roger

    Don K Guest

    But will simply using a heavier gauge of wire provide the "enhanced
    sonic performance and superior noise rejection" demanded by discerning
    audiophiles and will it have the "improved signal transfer of a specially
    formulated dielectric" or will it have faster transients due to the
    MicroFibers in the dielectric?

    Will it? Huh? Will it?

    Only if you buy a Monster Cable can you be sure you're getting what you deserve.

    Don

    Don K, Jun 20, 2006
  11. Susan Roger

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Not at 20 kHz and below: An RF phenomenon.

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 20, 2006
  12. That's nothing. A few years back, I saw an ad which claimed that a prime
    source of distortion in cables was grain boundaries in the metal, and
    the way to avoid said grain boundaries was to buy their cables, which
    consisted of tubes filled with liquid mercury.

    Several thousand dollars per cable pair.

    If there really are idiots willing to pay that sort of price for a set
    of cables, I think I could make a decent profit selling superconducting
    cables ("Eliminate Distortion by Eliminating Resistance with NEW
    SuperConductoCable"), *including* a closed-cycle cryocooler. I figure
    $15-20K for a set would be a fair price...

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jun 20, 2006
  13. Susan Roger

    irwell Guest

    Another big rip-off is 'gold plated' contacts,
    copper migration will overcome any benefits.

    irwell, Jun 20, 2006
  14. Susan Roger

    irwell Guest

    Usually at 1 Ghz and over when the old ferrite beads
    are called into play.

    irwell, Jun 20, 2006
  15. Susan Roger

    The Real Bev Guest

    Clearly not. I had unwittingly ignored the improved sonic performance
    because I am <sigh> aurally challenged. How could I have been so stupid
    as to attribute my limited hearing capabilities to those of the
    discerning audiophiles at whom this high-quality product is aimed. I'm
    so ashamed...
    You're so right.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev

    The Real Bev, Jun 20, 2006
  16. Susan Roger

    The Real Bev Guest

    How much stock can I get?

    The Real Bev, Jun 20, 2006
  17. Susan Roger

    ASAAR Guest

    That's not the way I heard it. Litz wire was used to combat the
    skin effect at relatively low RF frequencies, well above 20kHz, but
    well below 1Ghz. And the ubiquitous ferrite is used at very much
    lower frequencies as well, including much audio and computer
    equipment. Besides, this was about Monster Cables, which don't work
    very well with tiny beads. Maybe some large ferrite toroids, but I
    haven't seen any Monster Cables sporting galls recently. :)

    ASAAR, Jun 20, 2006
  18. Susan Roger

    J. Clarke Guest

    If I felt that I deserved what Monster Cable delivers I'd start hanging out
    in gay bars.

    J. Clarke, Jun 20, 2006
  19. Susan Roger

    J. Clarke Guest

    Now, on what information do you base the contention that Thomas Distributing
    and Radio Shack are "the largest distributers of C & D Cell NiMH
    batteries"?

    J. Clarke, Jun 20, 2006
  20. Susan Roger

    root Guest