    I have a dell 4700 and was wondering what would be considered "good memory"
    for most business applications and games.

    Many Thanks

    Jamie, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Jamie

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Jamie composed the following;:
    http://www.crucial.com/

    Paul - xxx, Jan 9, 2005

  3. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    Thanks Paul I'll be reading that.

    Jamie, Jan 9, 2005
  4. Jamie

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Jamie mused:

    | I have a dell 4700 and was wondering what would be considered "good
    | memory" for most business applications and games.

    Informal (read unofficial) minimums:

    Windows 98 - 128 MB or more
    Windows ME - uninstall, install 2000 or better
    Windows 2000 - 256 MB or more
    Windows XP - 512 MB or more

    mhicaoidh, Jan 9, 2005
  5. Jamie

    Ron Martell Guest

    Not necessary. WindowsMe runs very well for a large number of users,
    especially those who do not use Norton products.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jan 9, 2005
  6. I'd rather run a fully updated Me than 2000. As for Norton, I fart in
    their general direction.

    Bedwarmer

    Governor Swill, Jan 10, 2005
  7. Jamie

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Ron Martell mused:

    | Not necessary. WindowsMe runs very well for a large number of users,
    | especially those who do not use Norton products.

    Sure, but I would wager there are far more (percentage wise, and in
    actual number) that 2000 and/or XP run better for. But, at any rate, the
    recommendation was somewhat tongue in cheek.

    mhicaoidh, Jan 10, 2005
  8. Jamie

    Ron Martell Guest

    No argument there. The NT kernel, on which 2000 and XP are based, is
    inherently more stable than the 9x kernel used in 95/98/Me.

    Ron Martell, Jan 10, 2005
  9. But it's hardly a fair comparison to dump XPs sales numbers in with
    2ks. I'll bet there have never been more 2k than Me users. I'll bet
    there are now LOTS more satisfied Me users than 2k users total.

    Swill

    Governor Swill, Jan 11, 2005
  10. Jamie

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Governor Swill mused:

    | But it's hardly a fair comparison to dump XPs sales numbers in with
    | 2ks. I'll bet there have never been more 2k than Me users. I'll bet
    | there are now LOTS more satisfied Me users than 2k users total.

    When you look at home users, you may be right (though I doubt it); but,
    when you include business/corporate 2000 far out numbers ME.

    mhicaoidh, Jan 11, 2005
  11. Much of that depends on:
    1) The # of apps you expect to run simultaneously
    2) The complexity of the apps (ie video eats a LOT of mem)
    3) And finally, the OS

    If money is no object, max out the memory your OS or your Motherboard
    can handle, whichever is lower.

    If money *is* and object (and it usually is), take your OS's suggested
    requirement and triple it... There's a good ballpark to work from.

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Jan 11, 2005
  12. We're probably in agreement here, actually. If I saw someone at a
    business using Me, I'd probably point and laugh!

    That said, I was thinking of _total_ users. I'm sure you're right if
    you're counting only business users. Perhaps, _perhaps_ total users
    as well. Comparing 2k to Me sales and satisfaction among consumers is
    almost silly. I'll grant this though, I haven't talked to many
    business users. Well, except for New York blue collar ex-pats to
    Florida screaming, "I'm losing thousands of dollars a day every day
    this DSL isn't working and I expect you to get an installer out here
    _first thing in the morning_ to fix it!"

    Tech Support: "If you're losing that kind of money when your internet
    connection is down, sir, perhaps you'd be interested in a business
    account rather than your current residential service. Only business
    customers are entitled to next day, and in some cases, same day
    service."

    Idiot Customer": "Residential customers should get the same service
    as business ones!" *begins frothing at the mouth*

    TS: "No, sir. Business customers get better service because they
    _pay_ more. Would you like me to transfer you to billing so you can
    upgrade your DSL and your phone service to business class?"

    IC: "NO! I WANT YOUR SUPERVISOR!"

    TS: "_Thank_ you, sir. Please hold."

    *transfers cu to Billing supervisor queue*

    Swill

    Governor Swill, Jan 13, 2005