    Hello,
    What is the max. bootable primary partition size for windows xp 64 bit?
    Sorry if I posted this twice.

    Guest, Jul 17, 2005

  2. Guest

    NNBXX Guest

    1 Terabyte only ? I thought it was more than that for x64.

    NNBXX, Jul 17, 2005
  3. Guest

    NNBXX Guest

    OK, you are talking about maximum memory size, not about maximum bootable
    primary partition, which is Patrick's question.

    NNBXX, Jul 17, 2005
  4. Guest

    NNBXX Guest

    I think it's 16 TB, but unsure.

    NNBXX, Jul 17, 2005
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 17, 2005
  6. Guest

    DKI Guest

    I know NTFS has a Limit. I read that NTFS 5 has a 2TB Limit but that i don't
    know if it is true. i would assume that the max size would be the limit of
    the space the file system allows you (since no single hdd for the public is
    near 2TB yet) that size would be all of it. not sure if that is right
    though.

    DKI, Jul 17, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 17, 2005
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    With all that being said. I have a 300 gig hard drive. So I can use the
    entire drive as the boot partition without having to split the drive into
    virtual peices?

    Guest, Jul 18, 2005
  9. Guest

    Rick Guest

    You can use the entire drive in a single partition instead of multiple
    partitions. Virtual "pieces" are different than partitions. Partitions
    are physical layouts on the drive surface. Page files, although they do
    take up physical space, are often referred to as "virtual memory."

    Rick, Jul 18, 2005
  10. Guest

    NNBXX Guest

    Yes, you can.

    NNBXX, Jul 18, 2005
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks. Sorry about the lingo problem I was always under the impression
    that partitions were logical instead of physical. Thanks your help and
    setting me straight.

    Guest, Jul 18, 2005
  12. Guest

    DKI Guest

    It would'nt matter on the system or not all would have the same limits XP
    pro, 2000 or server 2003.

    The NTFS file system has the same limits on all systems.

    Only server 2003 SP1 which would of been included in X64 has the limits
    been raised to 256TB.

    The Limits were raised in SP1 futher Details can be found here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/storage/getstorfacts.mspx

    DKI, Jul 18, 2005
  13. You have nothing to worry about with your 300GB!!! hard disk being
    recognized under XP Pro x64. Anyway, I personally would partition it up into
    logical partitions to maintain efficiency and reliability against it
    becoming corrupt some how. You have data(video, music, photos),
    applications.

    You might want to do a dual boot too with XP x86 since XP Pro x64 has not
    turned out to be everyones cup of tea.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 18, 2005
  14. Why? I just use folders. My 400GB Hitachi is doing just fine. I am not a
    fan of partitioning. IMHO the need for it only existed when controllers
    could not handle the full hard drive as one partition or when FAT32 was
    still widely used.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 18, 2005
  15. btw, what unit is an "EB"?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 18, 2005
  16. Guest

    DKI Guest

    Good Question. I do Not Know My Self. that i would like to know

    DKI, Jul 18, 2005
  17. It sounds so big I WANT one!! :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 18, 2005
  18. Exobytes. As in....

    Name Symbol Multiple Name Symbol Multiple
    kilobyte kB 103 (or 210) kibibyte KiB 210
    megabyte MB 106 (or 220) mebibyte MiB 220
    gigabyte GB 109 (or 230) gibibyte GiB 230
    terabyte TB 1012 (or 240) tebibyte TiB 240
    petabyte PB 1015 (or 250) pebibyte PiB 250
    exabyte EB 1018 (or 260) exbibyte EiB 260
    zettabyte ZB 1021 (or 270)
    yottabyte YB 1024 (or 280)

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 18, 2005
  19. Guest

    DKI Guest

    Good Find. and wow, I'll Would'nt mind having a hdd that size but then if i
    did have one have so much space would not need to bother with buying another
    hdd again unless it fails (2 at the least with raid 1 or 4 for raid 0+1).

    DKI, Jul 18, 2005