  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Yep. $100 million over 8 years. The majority is running costs.

    Guest, Feb 3, 2013

  2. Guest

    EMB Guest

    There is charging a premium price for premium service, and there is
    charging at a level that can only be described as taking the piss -
    Datacom regularly fall into the latter category.

    I agree with your sentiments about the money staying within in NZ, but
    yet again we seem to have a NZ company feeling that they have a captive
    audience, showing contempt for their clients, and price gouging as much
    as they can. Much like the way our tourist industry works (but that's a
    different rant for a different forum).

    EMB, Feb 3, 2013

  3. On Saturday, 2 February 2013 17:46:45 UTC+13, geoff wrote:
    [snip]
    Ask Chris Carter, who signed off on the deal in 2008 as one of his acts as Minister of Education, and the Secretary of Education, Karen Sewell.

    misanthropiccurmudgeon, Feb 4, 2013
  4. Guest

    JohnO Guest

    Carter's partner is/was a school principal. How ironic.

    JohnO, Feb 4, 2013
  5. Guest

    victor Guest

    Datacom were offering the Peoplesoft payroll system.
    Owned by Oracle.

    victor, Feb 4, 2013
  6. Guest

    John S Guest

    There were also reports of some staff being paid ridiculous amounts - like
    hundreds of thousands of dollars instead of their normal pay.

    If this is the case, then the software developers missed out on one of the
    basic requirements of sound software - the provision of built-in checking
    and error flagging. There should have been a permissible range for
    expected salary payments, and anything outside the range should have been
    flagged for attention instead of simply being paid into the staff member's
    bank account.

    John S

    John S, Feb 5, 2013
  7. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    That explains why it worked so well then. Larry didn't get to be that rich
    by offering shoddy products.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Feb 5, 2013
  8. Guest

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Seems pretty basic.

    Gib Bogle, Feb 5, 2013
  9. Guest

    victor Guest

    Datacom offered it for the new tender, not their old system.

    victor, Feb 5, 2013
  10. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks.

    ~misfit~, Feb 7, 2013
  11. I had heard this reported and I have to assume it was an error. I
    would be surprised if Datacom decided to offer a competitors product
    instead of their own. Do you have a reference?

    Datacom writes their own payroll software. Why wouldn't they sell the
    MoE systems successor - the flash new payroll system they wrote only a
    few years ago?

    David Goodwin, Feb 7, 2013
  12. Guest

    victor Guest

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/8256637/Ongoing-friction-revealed-in-Novopay-fiasco
    "... according to briefing documents, emails and memos released on
    Friday under the Official Information Act."

    "TIMELINE . . .

    In 2004 the ministry requested tenders for a new schools payroll
    provider after a 2003 review of operations found the current provider
    Datacom posed a high risk.

    The contract was given to Talent2 in 2005. An independent review the
    same year found Datacom's payroll had been upgraded and was no longer
    "high risk", so plans were scrapped.

    Tenders were requested again in 2007 when Datacom announced it would not
    be maintaining its payroll after 2011.

    Eleven tenders were received for the $30 million contract including
    Datacom which proposed the Peoplesoft payroll, and Talent2, which
    proposed its own Novopay system and subsequently took the
    taxpayer-funded contract in 2008."

    victor, Feb 7, 2013
  13. Guest

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks for that. So it's going to cost $100 million (minister, on news a few
    days ago) to fix a $30 million system? Crazy!

    ~misfit~, Feb 8, 2013
  14. I believe the $100m covered implementing and operating the system for
    the next 10 years or something. Actually getting the system running
    properly is separate (but I'd hope it comes out of the $30m
    implementation cost).

    David Goodwin, Feb 9, 2013