    through Buy.com after some rebates. What is the catch? Are the cards
    substandard? (I am one of those persons who are always suspicious of
    any thing which seems too good to be true) With thanks.

    zxcvar, Nov 17, 2004

  2. zxcvar

    Robert Barr Guest

    Mine works fine. I'm sure there are faster CF's out there, but I'd
    never know the difference, so why shell out the $$$?

    I bought through Amazon earlier this year and got my rebate a few weeks ago.

    Suspicion, though, is healthy.

    Robert Barr, Nov 17, 2004

  3. zxcvar wrote:
    > Greetings! Kingston company are selling 512 MB SD cards quite cheap
    > through Buy.com after some rebates. What is the catch? Are the cards
    > substandard? (I am one of those persons who are always suspicious of
    > any thing which seems too good to be true) With thanks.

    Kingston are one of the computer industry's premium memory suppliers. I
    have some Kingston CF cards and can't see any difference between them
    and the sandisc II cards I use.

    Douglas

    Douglas MacDonald, Nov 17, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    (zxcvar) wrote:

    > Greetings! Kingston company are selling 512 MB SD cards quite cheap
    > through Buy.com after some rebates. What is the catch? Are the cards
    > substandard? (I am one of those persons who are always suspicious of
    > any thing which seems too good to be true) With thanks.

    It may be from miscalculated demand of the SD format. It could also be
    that Kingston wants some marketing data from the rebate forms.

    Kingston RAM modules seem to work well in Macs and overclocked PCs,
    which are notoriously picky about memory quality. I haven't had any
    problems with them.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Nov 17, 2004
  5. zxcvar

    Bob Williams Guest

    zxcvar wrote:
    > Greetings! Kingston company are selling 512 MB SD cards quite cheap
    > through Buy.com after some rebates. What is the catch? Are the cards
    > substandard? (I am one of those persons who are always suspicious of
    > any thing which seems too good to be true) With thanks.

    All flash memory cards are coming down drastically in price.
    A few weeks ago I bought a 1GB Lexar CF card for $45 after a $30 rebate!!!
    A few years ago it would have cost $300.
    How much was the Kingston card you saw advertised?
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Nov 17, 2004
  6. zxcvar

    Magnus W Guest

    (zxcvar) wrote in

    > Greetings! Kingston company are selling 512 MB SD cards quite cheap
    > through Buy.com after some rebates. What is the catch?

    No experience with SD, but I just bought a Kingston Pro Elite 512 MB CF,
    and it works just fine. Speedy and inexpensive. Recommended.

    Magnus W, Nov 17, 2004
  7. >>>>> Greetings! Kingston company are selling 512 MB SD cards quite cheap...

    My first 256mb SD card was Kingston, and it is slow as molasses in my Canon
    SD-10. After that I bought Lexar, and the difference in writing-to-disk
    speed is WHOPPING (using the Kingston card, the little green light blinks
    for what seems like forever, limiting re-shoot time--with the Lexar cards,
    including both their 'regular' SD card and the 32x speed, it's a couple of
    seconds even for 4 or 5 shots in succession). I use my Kingston card as a
    "last resort" card when the others are full. Other than that, it's
    perfectly reliable.

    Douglas W. Hoyt, Nov 18, 2004
  8. zxcvar

    Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:46:13 -0800, Kevin McMurtrie
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > (zxcvar) wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings! Kingston company are selling 512 MB SD cards quite cheap
    >> through Buy.com after some rebates. What is the catch? Are the cards
    >> substandard? (I am one of those persons who are always suspicious of
    >> any thing which seems too good to be true) With thanks.

    >It may be from miscalculated demand of the SD format. It could also be
    >that Kingston wants some marketing data from the rebate forms.

    It could be that "faster" SD cards are on the horizon, so Kingston is
    selling down their inventory.

    , Nov 18, 2004