What is GATOR and how is it used?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tim, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Is it true that if you have a decent firewall, theoretically nobody can hack
    into a pc. If that's true, does that mean all those well known organisation
    that had their site hacker have shity firewall?

    Also, someone method GATOR to me, what is it? What I have been told is:

    "Gator is pretty much Spy ware & are files that are installed on your
    computer without your knowledge. They allow companies to Monitor your
    Internet browsing patterns and even allow them to inundate you with those
    annoying "pop up" ads! If after you've downloaded music, shareware or files
    from the net, you start getting Pop-ups on your screen, you've likely been
    infected with Spyware and/or Adware. One of the worst things about Gator is
    that they had this piece of software that stored all your passwords etc to
    secure sites and every time you logged on it sent information to the gator
    website about where you've been etc and possibly what passwords you have
    used. If you install something like adsgone then that'll stop banner ads
    from popping up."

    TIA.

    Tim, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Tim

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Aug 11, 2003

  3. I read somewhere that it is called gator because each letter in the word is
    an abbreviation and the "A" meant advertising or some variation of it. I
    can't find the link right now.

    --
    longshotjohn 7

    http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/hot2trot

    because of those who look on and do nothing. --Albert Einstein

    longshotjohn7, Aug 12, 2003
  4. Tim

    Boomer Guest

    xman Charlie said:
    Hi
    Could you please include some of the message you are responding to,
    in your reply?
    (Tools> Options> Send tab, tick the "Include message in Reply" box.)

    It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
    others
    have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.

    Further info:

    Thank You Very Much :)
    <My 5 cents worth.>

    Boomer, Aug 12, 2003
  5. Tim

    xman Charlie Guest

    no

    my 2 cents

    xman Charlie, Aug 12, 2003
  6. Tim

    DC Guest

    DC, Aug 13, 2003
  7. WONDERFUL! I've been to that guy's site (don't have the URL at hand),
    and have seen some of the other shots (various objects on his rabbit's
    head[1]). But I've never seen any of them being *used* like that.

    Bonus points for making (or even finding) that! :)

    And for xman Charlie, here's some real help:

    http://home.online.no/~shughes/a57998/quote.html#001a

    [1]I don't *even* want to know how hobbies like that get started. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 13, 2003
  8. Irrelevant site Blinky. For those of us who can understand English
    phonemes and morphemes, it is clear the poster was talking to us all and
    letting us know he was a happy camper.

    longshotjohn7, Aug 13, 2003
  9. Tim

    JM Guest

    Sort of true and sort of not. The user could set up a firewall incorrectly
    or someone could set up a keystroke logger on your system without your
    knowledge. Also a trojan or backdoor program could have been put on
    your system before the decent firewall was installed. But then how
    paranoid are you and is it possible to be too paranoid about this ?
    Sometimes it is without your knowledge and sometimes people click "ok"
    to install every little window that pops up on their screen, and so
    they suddenly "have gator spyware" without their consent, when they
    acually did consent by clicking ok like a fool. (^: Read every
    window carefully, especially if it has the word "install" on it.
    Here is another website for you :

    http://www.evilsite.org/evil/Gator Advertising Network (GAIN)/
    JM

    JM, Oct 24, 2003