What is destroying the battery on my motherboard?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by tracym, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. tracym

    tracym Guest

    Hi all,

    I got a computer virus. It seemed to have affected my bios,
    or I don't know what happened, but I had to replace the
    battery on the motherboard. Then things were fine.

    I started re-installing stuff on the mother board. When I got
    to the IDE card, I installed it and then turned the computer
    on to see how it dealt with that. The IDE card (I think it;s
    called) is there for one purpose only: to connect my DVD drive to
    the motherboard. I had to buy it because the direct connections
    on the mobo were already taken up by the main 3 (floppy,
    hard drive, CD ROM drive). Anyway, when I turned the
    computer back on, it did something to the bios, and I totally
    lost visual display. It seems to ruin the battery, because
    when I replace the battery, it's fine.

    I just bought this card new a couple months ago.

    Do I have to replace it? I did install the card's drivers
    too.

    Thanks for any advice,

    Tracy

    tracym, Dec 21, 2003

  2. tracym

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    wrote in 4ax.com:
    You don't have a computer virus. You simply don't understand enough about
    computers to be doing this type of work on your computer, you should take
    the PC to a technician.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 21, 2003

  3. tracym

    tracym Guest

    Yes I did.

    tracym, Dec 21, 2003
  4. tracym

    vince Guest

    A virus wouldn't affect your bios and you don't need to IDE card you can
    just make the CD-ROM the slave and the DVD the master or vice-versa.

    vince, Dec 21, 2003
  5. tracym

    vince Guest

    Or just take out the CD-ROM drive and only use the DVD because it can do
    everything but you should just do slave/master.

    vince, Dec 21, 2003
  6. tracym

    Trent© Guest

    She's already got 2 devices on the controller. That's why she needed
    the controller card.

    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Dec 22, 2003
  7. tracym

    Trent© Guest

    Some DVD burning operations can't work thru an image file...so you DO
    need both the cdrom and the dvd drive.

    Trent©, Dec 22, 2003
  8. tracym

    Trent© Guest

    No.

    Also, the battery has nothing to do directly with the display. You
    may have bumped the video card when you put in the battery. Make sure
    the card is in securely...and that the cable is tightened down to the
    card.

    P.S.: Demon may be correct in this case!

    Trent©, Dec 22, 2003
  9. tracym

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent, I know you aren't this dense. A controller with 2 IDE ports can
    support 4 devices.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 22, 2003
  10. tracym

    Trent© Guest

    Both yer statements are correct. What's yer point?

    Or are you assuming something again?

    Trent©, Dec 22, 2003
  11. tracym

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Assuming? The first post in this thread says there are 3 connections on
    the motherboard (HD, CD, Floppy). Obviously there are 2 IDE ports, and
    obviously the controller can accept 4 devices, which means a controller
    card is not necessary.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 22, 2003
  12. I don't see how there are "obviously" 2 IDE ports. The HD and CD could
    just as easily be both on one port from the OP's description. There
    ARE boards with only one IDE port. The original poster only says that
    the floppy, HD and CD occupy all the existing ports, not that each is
    plugged into a separate port.

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor, Dec 22, 2003
  13. tracym

    Trent© Guest

    Why 'obviously'? Many mainboards don't have ANY connections built
    in...and some have only 1. Even if she DOES have 2 built in on the
    mainboard, maybe only 1 works.

    Also, her 'direct connection' on the mainboard...described by a
    neophyte...may actually be a controller card.

    You missed the days when there were no IDE ports on the
    mainboard...when every cdrom came with its own controller card. lol

    I think the sequence was: cdrom x1...cdrom x2...Jim...cdrom x4! lol

    Trent©, Dec 23, 2003
  14. tracym

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Yes, Trent, I'm sure many machines capable of DVD playback came with less
    than 2 IDE ports and a separate controller card for each CD drive. What
    probably happened was the OP looked in the machine, saw two ports, each
    having a device on it (probably with a single connector cable) and assumed
    that it was full and they needed another set of ports.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 23, 2003
  15. tracym

    tracym Guest

    yes there are two IDE ports.

    how can I get more than 2 devices on them?

    tracym, Dec 23, 2003
  16. tracym

    tracym Guest

    Yeah I'm a neophyte, and I built a dual xeon workstation myself,
    complete with raid array.

    Had no problems until this.

    The " direct connection" is not a controller card.

    The ports I am talking about are off to the right, actually near
    the drives. All the slots for adding in peripherals are on the left
    side.

    Hmmph. >: P

    tracym, Dec 23, 2003
  17. With a cable that has 3 connectors. One goes to the controller, and the other
    two each go to an IDE device.

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor, Dec 23, 2003
  18. Sure sounds like a neophyte to me! Especially after asking how to connect two
    devices to one IDE port!

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor, Dec 23, 2003
  19. tracym

    Trent© Guest

    How did you do it on the Xeon?

    Trent©, Dec 23, 2003
  20. tracym

    tracym Guest

    oh thanks so much. It's working now anyway.

    Guess i'll call the pros about my IDE card.

    I mean the ones that made it.

    tracym, Dec 23, 2003