What is blocking my ports?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by J Lunis, May 23, 2006.

  1. J Lunis

    J Lunis Guest

    XP SR2
    I am having getting Tivo to 'talk to' my PC over a wireless network.
    Went to Tivo support and forum but was unable to get an answer.
    I have a Dell router.
    PC ic connected to the PC via ethernet.
    Tivo is connected wirelessly
    Notebook is connected wirelessly.
    PDA connected wirelessly for net use only.
    PC, notebook, and PDA work.
    Tivo lists an IP address and signal strentgh is good to excellent.
    Notebook can see Tivo and can download files to HD.
    PC can not find Tivo.
    However, when I open Tivo sw on the PC Tivo's correct IP is listed.
    When I ping Tivo (ping xxx.xxx.x.x), I get 4 packets sent/received.
    Per Tivo, I entered URL https://xxx.xxx.x.x into my browser, entered
    name and password, and the PC can see Tivo but can not download. Tivo
    say this confirms the problem is a blocked port.
    I have literally uninstalled Norton antivirus and firewall, disabled XP
    firewall, and tried again. Keep getting a mesage from Tivo (on the
    PC)about an error on trying to communicate which Tivo says indicates a
    port problem.
    I have been told by an expert (a friend how knows more than I do) that
    since Tivo can talk to my notebook through the router, the problem with
    the PC is not the router or the router firewall.
    I have a list of ports to open but since, at the time, I had no without
    a firewall, I had no sw to tell to open ports or allow programs.
    I have, btw, reinstalled the firewall and antivirus sw.
    How can I find what is blocking those ports or, is it possble the ports
    are defective?

    J Lunis, May 23, 2006

  2. J Lunis

    Guest Guest

    Guest, May 23, 2006

  3. J Lunis

    J Lunis Guest

    Mike,
    DLd PortQryUI and ran some ports. Unsure how much you need - 18 ports
    total. I ran 5 at random. Results follow.
    Firewall on PC and Notebook disabled throughout. Don't know if antivirus
    matters in this.
    Port 37 TCP
    PC to Tivo - filtered
    PC to Notebook - Not Listening
    Notebook to Tivo - filtered
    Notebook to PC - not listening
    Port 123 UDP
    PC to Tivo - listening or filtered
    PC to Notebook - listening or filtered
    Notebook to Tivo - listening or filtered
    Notebook to PC - listening or filtered
    Port 2190 TCP
    PC to Tivo - listening
    PC to Notebook - listening
    Notebook to Tivo - listening
    Notebook to PC - listening
    Port 7288 TCP
    PC to Tivo - filtered
    PC to Notebook - not listening
    Notebook to Tivo - filtered
    Notebook to PC - not listening
    Port 8081 TCP
    PC to Tivo - filtered
    PC to Notebook - not listening
    Notebook to Tivo - filtered
    Notebook to PC - not listening
    If you need the whole list I will get it when I get more time.
    Meanwhile, is this enough to be of any help?

    J Lunis, May 24, 2006
  4. J Lunis

    Pavel A. Guest

    What is blocking your ports on XP SP2? Hmm. The firewall...

    --PA

    Pavel A., May 25, 2006
  5. J Lunis

    J Lunis Guest

    You may well be right but I have literally uninstalled Norton Firewall
    and disabled XP firewall. Still the ports are blocked. Am I missing
    something?

    J Lunis, May 25, 2006