    my wild guess is correct, i won't be using aging anyway.

    Thanks for any help folks.

    Bruce D. Meyer

    Bruce Meyer, Aug 14, 2007

  2. Bruce Meyer

    Trendkill Guest

    While I don't know the specific context w/ security, aging is the
    timeout period of MAC addresses in the switches CAM/MAC table.
    Basically, the CAM table junctions what MACs are on what ports, and
    tells the switch where things need to be forwarded at level 2. If the
    aging table is set high, and a person unplugs a server and plugs
    something in that just listens (if it sends any frames, the switch
    will update the CAM table with the new MAC off the source of the
    frame), then it can potentially 'sniff' traffic that was destined for
    the previous station. Just because it is unplugged doesn't mean the
    CAM table ages out, it is usually set by CAM and ARP aging on the
    switches and routers. ARP aging is the same, but it junctions IP to
    MAC. While it isn't cake to spoof a MAC, it is possible.

    Trendkill, Aug 14, 2007

  3. Bruce Meyer

    Trendkill Guest

    Here is the config guide on it, looks like it sets the aging time of

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._guide_chapter09186a00800da706.html#wp1042259

    Trendkill, Aug 14, 2007
  4. Bruce Meyer

    Bruce Meyer Guest