    part of the process of creating the image."

    This is probably too broad, but let's have fun!

    Austin

    AustinBoston, Oct 12, 2004

  2. AustinBoston

    GT40 Guest

    Someone who paints with light

    GT40, Oct 12, 2004

  3. AustinBoston

    Frank ess Guest

    Seems to me that puts us all in the category of Nostrobeano's monkey. Is
    that what you want?

    Add: "... to the end of creating an image with characteristics he
    intends." Maybe that's better.

    As in Law, a good deal of the energy is in Intent.

    Frank ess, Oct 12, 2004
  4. A good deal of the meaning of words sits above the neck of the interpreter.
    A questionable original post, but what the heck: "A photographer is one who
    takes photographs."

    Charles Schuler, Oct 12, 2004
  5. AustinBoston

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Definition of a photographer:

    [n] someone who takes photographs professionally

    aka; someone who spends too much money in their lifetime

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Oct 13, 2004
  6. AustinBoston

    Mark Johnson Guest

    A photographer uses whatever he can, or can afford, to capture the
    truth in an image, even if the image is deceptive, fantastic or
    otherwise not a true record, ugly, beautiful, what have you - that is
    self-evident in the photo. Ugly art needs a thesis to explain it. A
    photograph shouldn't.

    Mark Johnson, Oct 13, 2004
  7. AustinBoston

    mark_digital Guest

    The best way to define what a photographer is, is to explain
    what he is not.

    mark_

    mark_digital, Oct 13, 2004
  8. AustinBoston

    Bruce Murphy Guest

    And a primary concern of whose, in doing so, is the image itself. This
    will help eliminate fine-art types who are trying to capture
    particular coloured blurs to represent movement, and the people using
    a P&S for a snapshot.

    The former class are perhaps a grey area, since almost all
    photographers will realise they can learn something from the fine-art
    types :)

    The latter class are, as a rule, more concerned about the /content/ of
    the image (It's our Jimmy and our Sharon last Christmas!) than in the
    image itself.

    Bruce Murphy, Oct 13, 2004
  9. Nope....all are photographers. The snap shooter, the mall worker, the studio
    shooter, even those who use a scanner for input. The broad definition is the
    only one that applies. Just as painter includes house painters.

    Gene Palmiter, Oct 13, 2004
  10. AustinBoston

    Bruce Murphy Guest

    [moved filthy top-posting to sensible place]
    Why? Why do you think it's useful to group people who don't care about
    the images with those who do?

    Bruce Murphy, Oct 13, 2004
  11. AustinBoston

    Paddler Guest

    A photographer is someone who enjoys most things more when viewed
    through a camera lens.

    A good photographer requires much more definition.

    Paddler, Oct 13, 2004
  12. AustinBoston

    bob Guest

    Just like with painters, you can use more adjectives to refine the grouping

    Fine art photographer, photojournalist, sports photographer, hack
    photographer, poor photographer, large format photographer, yearbook
    photographer, etc.

    Bob

    bob, Oct 13, 2004
  13. AustinBoston

    Bruce Murphy Guest

    Yes, but I don't consider 'happy snapper' to be any sort of photographer :)

    Bruce Murphy, Oct 13, 2004
  14. AustinBoston

    AustinBoston Guest

    Something quite similar to this definition occured to me. But then
    you have to define "photograph". Some would argue that a "snapshot"
    isn't really a photograph, while others might argue that photocopys
    are photographs.

    Which leads me to one thing I don't see (but expected) was a complaint
    that my original definition would include the users of devices like
    photocopiers and scanners as photographers. So I'm doing the
    classless thing and complaining about it myself.

    Austin

    AustinBoston, Oct 13, 2004
  15. AustinBoston

    DM Guest

    A photographer is someone who's out there taking pictures and not wasting
    his time on usenet or everyone's favorite measurbator forum, dpreview.

    DM, Oct 13, 2004
  16. photographer

    \Pho*tog"ra*pher\, n. One who practices, or is skilled in, photography.

    -tom

    Tom Nakashima, Oct 13, 2004
  17. A voyeur.

    Ciao,
    SM

    Sven Mischkies, Oct 13, 2004
  18. AustinBoston

    Baldy Guest

    Yeah, on days when you don't enjoy it, you are not a photographer.

    Baldy, Oct 13, 2004
  19. AustinBoston

    eawckyegcy Guest

    A photographer is a person who can change a baby's diaper, build a
    1967 Datsun from spare parts found on the interstate, hunt, kill,
    dress, cook and eat a moose, hike Heap's Canyon, drive a bus, load a
    truck, lead men into battle, offer a surrender, maintain a VSS source
    tree with a smile (maybe that is too much to ask?), survey a plot of
    land, fly a plane, take a number, use an arc welder, program a milling
    machine, siphon gas, build a bomb, design a house, assemble a cheap
    IKEA bookcase, memorize the first 1000 digits of pi, optimize carnaugh
    maps, lay down microcode, hammer fenders into shape, throw a party,
    run for office, care for the elderly, mind his business, perform
    surgery, heal the sick, attack tyrrany in all of its forms (despotic,
    benign, democratic, etc), defend liberty to the death if necessary,
    keep his groups at 500m to 10cm or less, knocks on wood, invest in the
    future he wants, debate, rebutt, think for himself, pay his debts,
    have fun, be of good character in tight situations, displays
    adaptability, knows where the good restaurants are, can give clear,
    easy to follow directions to strangers who ask, knows his limitations,
    clean a house, fry an egg, live off the land, compose a symphony, play
    a musical instrument, makes his clothes, can return the correct
    change, work a cash register honestly, deliver mail, conduct an
    experiment, solve an equation, tie his shoelaces, breath, drink, talk,
    run, walk, fart, burp or anything else.

    We are all photographers.

    eawckyegcy, Oct 13, 2004
  20. See, that's what I was trying to say with: "... above the neck of the
    interpreter." Austin, please don't get angry with me but these kinds of
    discussions are non-productive. If you enjoy them, fine. If you think
    anything will actually come of them, you are wrong.

    Charles Schuler, Oct 13, 2004