  1. I have to appear as a witness in the trial (in Scotland) of a man who was
    carrying a "BB gun". It seems to be a pistol that fires ball-bearings - it
    looked like a real gun to me. What is it for and why do people have them?

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 21, 2005

  2. Geoff Pearson

    Killer Bite Guest

    It is very similar to what we in the UK would call an "air gun" and used for
    the same reasons.

    Killer Bite, Apr 21, 2005

  3. You essentially have the definition right, but most are not powerful
    enough to be really dangerous. More of the "Be careful or you'll put
    your eye out" kind of thing. Here in the U.S., they're mostly used by
    kids to assassinate birds and empty cans. And the occasional windshield
    (windscreen, whatever).

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 21, 2005
  4. Geoff Pearson

    Guest Guest

    Shoots a BB (small round ball). Some air guns can be pumped up high
    enough in pressure to penetrate the skin. Can be used to kill small
    varmits. Most BB pistols are CO2 powered. Carry one concealed can be
    seen equivalent to carrying any gun-looking object concealed.
    Threatening someone with it is the same as threatening with a plastic
    toy gun: even if it doesn't look real when inspected, the victim doesn't
    have that luxury, so threatening someone with a toy gun gets you charged
    the same as threatening them with a real gun.

    Guest, Apr 21, 2005
  5. Thanks - the guy is currently in a mental hospital as he was travelling to
    Bournemouth north on a train to Aberdeen from Edinburgh.

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 21, 2005
  6. Geoff Pearson

    Killer Bite Guest

    Could you run that by us again, in plain Swahili if possible?

    Killer Bite, Apr 21, 2005
  7. Not surprisingly, the projectiles are called "BB"s. Thus: "bb gun".

    -
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 21, 2005
  8. Geoff Pearson

    Old Gringo Guest

    http://www.wholesalehunter.com/product/daisygun/dasydes/9938.htm

    Old Gringo, Apr 21, 2005
  9. Geoff Pearson

    Old Gringo Guest

    http://www.daisy.com/

    Old Gringo, Apr 21, 2005
  10. Geoff Pearson

    Stickems. Guest

    Jambo.

    Stickems., Apr 21, 2005
  11. Geoff Pearson

    Pilbs Guest

    http://www.clarity.it/coolstuff/guns.htm

    Pilbs, Apr 21, 2005
  12. Geoff Pearson

    Ron Martell Guest

    It is an air gun that fires round pellets, and was very popular in the
    1950s and 1960s in North America.

    The traditional BB gun is a small replica of a lever-action rifle (The
    Winchester model 1894 is often cited as the prototype). The lever is
    used to create a compressed air charge and when the trigger is pulled
    the air is released to discharge the pellet.

    The pellets are BB size (4.57 mm or .180 inch in diameter), hence the
    name BB Gun.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Apr 21, 2005
  13. Geoff Pearson

    Scribner Guest

    Otherwise known as the Red Ryder by Daisy.

    Scribner, Apr 21, 2005
  14. Geoff Pearson

    doS Guest

    some witness you will be....

    doS, Apr 21, 2005
  15. Geoff Pearson

    Joel Rubin Guest

    Air rifle -

    You might want to see the movie "A Christmas Story" or read or listen
    to a reading of "Duel in the Snow or Red Ryder nails the Cleveland
    Street Kid". (both by the late humorist Jean Shepherd)

    It's about Ralph, a kid (based on Shepherd) growing up in the Indiana
    industrial suburbs of Chicago during the Depression who is trying to
    get a Red Ryder BB Gun for Christmas, just like the one advertised in
    Boy's Life Magazine. Boy's Life is full of dubious tales of great
    adventures in which boys use a BB Gun to save the entire family from a
    rampaging wolf pack and lead them out of the forest using the compass
    in the barrel.

    Everyone to whom Ralph confides his desire tells him "You'll shoot out
    one of your eyes" and that a boring old sweater would make a much
    better gift.

    http://www.maskmusic.com/other_music.html

    Dramatized reading of the short story by the author on his radio show:
    (9.34 MBytes)

    http://www.maskmusic.com/audio/1974_12_24_edit_Red_Ryder_WOR_Jean_Shepherd.mp3

    Joel Rubin, Apr 22, 2005
  16. Geoff Pearson

    Plato Guest

    Yes they are real guns. They just use compressed air to fire the pebble
    [BB]. They can stop an intruder if the air cart is fresh. And, you hit
    him in the face.

    Plato, Apr 22, 2005
  17. Geoff Pearson

    Mike Easter Guest

    A BB gun is not a potent weapon -- backing up to the original 'air
    pistol' description; air pistols fire a variety of projectiles, ranging
    from 'soft' plastic BBs which are a little bigger, to coppercovered
    steel BBs which are round also and a few mm, to various pellets which
    are about the same size to larger and of various shapes, cylindrical and
    mushroom

    Air pistols propelled by CO2 instead of compressing air often only
    attain muzzle velocities of about 400 or so feet/sec; whereas air
    rifles with a good design might fire a pellet at over 600 feet/sec which
    would be capable of killing a little varmit.

    So, a BB gun might break the skin or imbed or could even put out an eye
    of a person.

    The problem is that the pistols are designed to look like S&W .357
    Magnums or Walther PPKs or such -- an intimidating weapon appearance and
    the brandishing of which is a crime of the same importance as
    brandishing the real thing. The real thing can kill and do a lot more
    damage than a BB gun, but the brandishing is what the crime is about,
    not the result of the discharge or not of the 'weapon/toy'.

    Mike Easter, Apr 22, 2005
  18. Geoff Pearson

    Plato Guest

    Right. They even have the feel of a real bullet gun. One pellet can take
    out a rabbit, female turkey, or other small game easily. Been there,
    done that. Good eatins too.

    Plato, Apr 22, 2005
  19. Yes I will - I have a very clear recollection of this guy putting the gun
    under his right thigh - amongst a lot of other bizarre behaviour.. No one
    in Britain does that unless they are nuts or criminal. This one was nuts.

    Geoff Pearson, Apr 22, 2005
  20. Here in the states it's different. I like to fire a few rounds from my
    Glock every now and then just to emphasize that nobody can mess with me.
    Sometimes it scares the hell out of little old ladies in my shop.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 22, 2005