What I need vs. What I want...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RHinNC, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. RHinNC

    RHinNC Guest

    I need to upgrade to a new digital camera. I currently have a Sony FD-71
    with a 10x Optical Zoom which has served me very well. I also have a Canon
    EOS 620 with a , 50MM, 35-70MM, 70-210MM and 420EZ Flash. Everything works
    fine, but I have an itch for a new camera that will more or less take the
    place of my aging equipment.

    I have been lurking on this newsgroup and looking at various digital camera
    sites. I like the size and feel of my EOS 620. I have considered the 300D
    Canon, but was sort of discouraged by the fact that I can not use my 420EZ
    flash with it. I am presuming my lenses work with it, so that is a plus.

    Then I read about the Fuji S5000 and S7000 cameras. I like the 10x and 6x
    optical zooms. I also read about a Kodak DX6490. If I were Bill Gates I
    would just get them all and see which one I like.

    It's quite confusing. I like going to Airshows and need/want a camera that
    would be compatible with that kind of photography.

    Any insights would be appreciated as to what other camera I might consider.

    Thanks

    RHinNC, Feb 29, 2004

  2. RHinNC

    Paul H. Guest

    I would recommend staying away from the Fuji S7000. If you examine the
    sample images found on the review sites (www.steves-digicams.com ,
    www.imaging-resource.com , www.dpreview.com , etc.), you'll see that the
    noise in the S7000's pictures makes it seem more like a 4 mp camera than a
    6.3 mp one. The Kodak DX6490 (10x) and the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 (12x) cameras
    are relatively inexpensive, yet both take better pictures than the S7000,
    IMHO, although build quality is definitely better for the S7000. If you can
    spend a bit more and can stand a little less zoom the Minolta A1 (7x) looks
    mighty fine to me. I have handled this camera and find its build quality
    very good to excellent.

    I find this a bit distressing because I had great hopes for the Fuji S7000,
    having seen the output from its excellent predecessor, the S602. Alas, my
    hopes were dashed, my cookies smashed, but I saved some cash by not being
    rash.

    Paul H., Mar 1, 2004

  3. RHinNC

    Cool Hand Guest

    Some S7000 owners said, one need to use 12M Fine mode and down size it, then
    it will be the greatest 9 to 10 MP DC.

    The above statement is comparable to your statement when 6MP looks like 4MP.

    Never try it though, it is not important to me.

    =>
    =>

    Cool Hand, Mar 5, 2004