    Maybe we should campaign for a moderated group? If there IS one, could
    someone share the cyber-address?
    Thanks

    nck, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Just use filters - until I looked on Google Groups today I had no idea that
    this nonsense was still going on

    Simon Stanmore, Feb 16, 2004

  3. nck

    Drifter Guest

    I, for one, am a big boy and capable of dealing with this stuff
    without yet another censor trying to "protect" me.

    The solution(s) are fairly simple to outline, but rather more
    difficult to implement because they are of a voluntary nature and each
    person has to do it for themselves.

    1) Killfile any offensive posters
    2) Don't reply to offensive posters (of course that's as tough as
    getting people to stop clicking on unknown .exe files even though they
    should know better).
    3) Use a news reader that allows you to build filters (Agent just
    released v2.0)
    4) If your filters work, share the results with others.
    5) If a NOOB doesn't know what to do then educate them (nicely).
    6) If a NOOB doesn't learn...into the Killfile.

    The vast majority of offensive posters (vulgar, trolls, etc) are just
    looking for attention and the most painful thing you can do to them is
    to ignore them. The nice thing (for me) is how easily I can make them
    "not exist". (Unless the clueless keep replying to the trolls while
    quoting their entire vulgar message).

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Feb 16, 2004
  4. nck

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 16, 2004
  5. Modarted news groups do not work.

    Roland Karlsson, Feb 16, 2004
  6. nck

    Dave Guest

    That (or a properly-spelled version of it) certainly seems to be the mantra
    around here, doesn't it?

    Guess you never know until you try.

    Dave

    Dave, Feb 16, 2004
  7. nck

    Mark B. Guest

    Tony & Roland are right, moderated groups don't work because hardly anyone
    posts there. But the trolls here are a pain in the ass because you can't
    simply block a sender when they change their address with each post. Sure,
    simply ignore it but you have to scroll through more trash than legit posts.

    Mark

    Mark B., Feb 17, 2004
  8. nck

    Rhett Guest

    I'm a psychologist. It's my opinion that the smut poster is
    over-compensating for feelings of inadequacy and self-hatred due to his
    small johnson and bad acne. The only woman who's ever paid any attention to
    him is his mother. So that why he posts all this crap-- looking for female
    attention.

    An alternate hypothesis is that a photographer stole the one girlfriend he
    did have back when he was in junior high school. So showing his ass to the
    group is his best shot at payback-- impotent as it is.

    What say you all?

    Rhett, Feb 17, 2004
  9. nck

    PaoloPissy Guest

    Go here and all your questions will be answered

    http://tinyurl.com/3aulc

    PaoloPissy, Feb 17, 2004
  10. nck

    Andy B Guest

    Outlook Express will block any specified sender - just hit Alt M, Alt S. All
    posts from that address will be deleted.

    The idiot(s) keep changing e-mail addresses, but that too is easy to deal
    with. In Outlook Express select Tools/message rules/news. You an then create
    a rul to autmomatically delete any messages that inlcude words that you
    don't like - either in the subject line or the body. The rule can be
    retrospectivly aplied to the group to delete any stuff that has already
    arrived.

    Only took me a minute or so to clear up this group and it looks very
    different without all of that content.

    Andy B, Feb 17, 2004
  11. nck

    Paul H. Guest

    I'm not a psychologist. It's my opinion the smut poster is an asshole. The
    world is full of them, unfortunately, and it's really too bad they don't
    collectively take up playing blind man's bluff on the freeway.

    Although you're probably right about the woman stuff. It's likely the last
    time he saw a vagina he had an umbilical cord wrapped around his neck and
    was blue from lack of Oh-Two.

    Paul H., Feb 17, 2004
  12. Tony,

    this would nicely separate the intelligent people from the
    stupid ones. The stupid ones will head over to the moderated
    group, the intelligent ones will stay here because they have no
    problems tuning their killfilters.

    Not too bad, actually. We will have a beginners' newsgroup and
    an advanced newsgroup.

    :)

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Feb 17, 2004
  13. Mark,

    filter the signal words in the subject.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Feb 17, 2004
  14. nck

    Rick Guest

    I'm not a pro head shrink but what you propose sounds in line, (ignore the
    troll )and eventually he will bet bored any move on.
    I personally don't think a true patriotic Italion such as Paolo would
    participate in this kind of bull so think before pointing the finger.

    Rick C

    Rick, Feb 17, 2004
  15. nck

    Mark B. Guest

    I've done that as well.

    Mark

    Mark B., Feb 17, 2004
  16. nck

    Paul H. Guest

    Yeah--just like listening to the radio. The *intelligent* listeners learn
    to live with static and bad reception. The wrap their old radios in
    aluminum foil and construct increasingly bizarre-looking antennae from coat
    hangers and duct-tape in a largely futile attempt to hear signals over the
    noise. Of course, the *stupid* listeners just get a new radio and proper
    antenna so they can simply hear the stations they want to hear without
    having to constantly futz about with "solutions" of dubious efficacy.

    You live in a strange place, friend.

    Paul H., Feb 17, 2004
  17. nck

    Brad Guest

    He says the intelligent ones will stay here and he is staying here. You
    say only the stupid ones will stay here and you are still here. Are you
    going to take that kind of talk from yourself?

    Brad, Feb 17, 2004
  18. nck

    Dave Guest

    Since when does quantity have anything to do with quality? I find that
    all of the moderated or "forum" newsgroups I participate in provide a
    much greater depth of experience than your typical "me too" Usenet
    group.

    This group won't ever become moderated. So you can either get real
    good at kill files and filters, or move over to rec.photo.moderated or
    a forum group. Either choice is equally valid. And most folks will
    probably do a little of both.

    I find it odd that you seem to have an interest in keeping people
    here. Never seen anyone make fun of someone's choice in newsgroups
    before. Got an agenda there?

    Dave

    P.S. Remember, rec.photo.moderated will essentially be a netkkkop and
    Tony-and-his-humongous-sig-line free zone. That's always a plus.

    Dave, Feb 17, 2004
  19. nck

    Paul H. Guest

    You utterly misapprehend. I said nothing about staying or leaving myself,
    but simply offered a commentary on his rather bizarre analysis of the
    situation here on rec.photo.digital. You should work toward improving your
    reading comprehension.

    Paul H., Feb 17, 2004
  20. nck

    John Navas Guest

    In <[email protected]> on 16 Feb 2004 23:24:47 GMT, Roland
    Some don't, but some do.

    John Navas, Feb 17, 2004