What happens when reviewers avoid real life situations (Dpreview)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Feb 13, 2009.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    You get a review of the Canon 5D II on Dpreview-Canon site. I know
    these review sites are in competition with each other, but they should
    decide if they are reviewing cameras for the benefit of the readers or
    just whoring themselves out to the companies that make the cameras.
    Why do I suggest this? Because of this claim by Canon in the
    specifications of the DSLR:

    -Water resistance: 10 mm rain in 3 minutes

    Complete, utter rubbish as demonstrated by Luminous Landscape's
    terrible tales of woe in the Antarctic where true to form, Canon's
    tanked in the performance area, being unable to withstand a rain test.

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/antarctica-2009-worked.shtml

    "The largest group of failures through were among the Canon 5D MKIIs.
    Of the 26 samples of this camera onboard, one quarter (six) failed at
    one time or another, and while three recovered, the other three never
    did."

    Additionally, though it's been (apparently) solved via firmware fixes
    there appears to be ZERO mention in the review of the initial release
    fiasco of the "black dots." Now, given Canon's recent (well, it
    actually goes back all the way to the Rebel XT) QC problems across its
    line (error 99s, focus problems, mirrors detaching, black dots,
    weather resistance that doesn't work) shouldn't they have had at least
    mentioned it in passing?

    Now, having said all that, as an image making machine under moderate
    circumstances, the 5D II appears to be superb and it is relatively
    cheap, though a better body is definitely needed.

    RichA, Feb 13, 2009

  2. Rich hates Macs, too, no?

    From the same site:

    "I brought along my 15" Macbook Pro and two 500 GB portable drives. I
    downloaded cards to both drives simultaneously using Lightroom and when
    traveling home carried the drives in separate bags. No issues.

    Interestingly, though Macs represent only some 5% of the total computer
    market, at least 60% of the photographers aboard were using Mac laptops.
    A few people didn't bring their computers though, instead using
    Hyperdrives. Adobe Lightroom was by far the most popular image
    processing software, used by probably 90% of the expedition members. A
    couple of people used Bridge and Camera Raw, and a couple were using
    Nikon Capture NX."

    John McWilliams, Feb 13, 2009

  3. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Yes, yes, we know you're a stupid bigot. If they write something
    positive about Canon then they are "just whoring themselves out", and
    if they write something critical you're quoting it as justification
    for your bigotry.
    Because you're a sleazy bigot.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 14, 2009
  4. RichA

    corks Guest

    hi

    could you expand on this , im not anti-mac, just use to pc/windows so no
    need to change

    but greed and stupidity ??????

    corks, Feb 14, 2009
  5. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Still whining, kryby?

    Get a life, loser.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 14, 2009
  6. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Why don't you find some kittens to torture, kryby? It seems to be
    about your level of intellectual ability.
    Look at what YOU write, hypocrite.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 15, 2009
  7. RichA

    Mark Thomas Guest