What happened to this group?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jan Nademlejnsky, Jun 9, 2006.

  1. What happened to this group? No posting suddenly.

    Jan Nademlejnsky, Jun 9, 2006

  2. Must be your news reader or ISP. I get about 200 per day.

    Ockham's Razor, Jun 9, 2006

  3. Jan Nademlejnsky

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Actually, there is no 'this group'. These newsgroups (AKA USENET)
    are virtual.

    USENET consists of thousands of independently owned and managed
    computer systems around the world, the only thing they have in
    common is that each one runs special news server software.

    Each of these news servers 'mails' everything they receive from
    their users to ALL the other news servers in the world. They use a
    system called Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP).

    This mass NNTP exchange of messages makes sure that each of these
    independently owned and managed news servers have the exact same message
    base. At least it does in theory :)

    Looking at your message header, I see you use a news server that
    is run by Shaw.ca

    So.. When you post a message, you connect to and, leave that
    message on the Shaw news server. I have nothing do do with
    Shaw and can't access their news server. (I post and read
    messages through a different news server run by a company called
    Supernews).

    Shaw sends a copy of your message to all the participating news
    servers including mine. I read your message and respond. My
    response gets sent to all the news severs including yours. This
    way we can carry out a conversation and everyone else can see it
    too.

    If you aren't seeing messages, then it's YOUR news server that's
    at fault. All the other systems in the world are trucking along
    just fine.

    *ANY* news message problems you see on your end (whether it be posting
    or reading), are the fault of Shaw News. To get a meaningful answer to
    "what happened", you'll have to contact them.

    Jim Townsend, Jun 9, 2006
  4. Jan Nademlejnsky

    This old Bob Guest

    Try this one, too
    rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

    This old Bob, Jun 9, 2006
  5. Jan Nademlejnsky

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Your newsreader is broken

    Paul Heslop, Jun 9, 2006
  6. Jan Nademlejnsky

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    Check your newsreader/isp/settings .

    Neil Ellwood, Jun 9, 2006
  7. It could also be one's News client (reader). Some times the files that
    track read and unread get munged.

    John McWilliams, Jun 9, 2006
  8. Jan Nademlejnsky

    Rich Guest

    Make sure you aren't on Canadian Bell Sympatico. They just dropped all
    support
    for usenet.

    Rich, Jun 9, 2006
  9. Jan Nademlejnsky

    Helen Guest

    To prevent the awfully high amount of Canadian spam?

    Helen, Jun 9, 2006
  10. Jan Nademlejnsky

    Freedom55 Guest

    Sympatico, although a Bell product is licensed for use by Aliant in the
    Atlantic provinces. Usenet support is still provided. With the rise of
    forums, usenet is becoming a thing of the past. Bell is Ontario etc. is
    probably freeing up server space if they did indeed drop support for
    usenet. It would not be a spam issue IMHO.

    Ron

    --
    And it really doesn't matter if
    I'm wrong I'm right

    Lennon & McCartney

    Freedom55, Jun 9, 2006
  11. Especially likely, as the OP is using Outlook Express. It's prone to
    such problems.

    Eric Schreiber, Jun 9, 2006
  12. Jan Nademlejnsky

    JGA Guest

    I haven't noticed it here but on several other groups there is a sort of
    slowdown when archiving takes place.

    JGA, Jun 10, 2006
  13. Jan Nademlejnsky

    Celcius Guest

    Please Helen....
    It isn't any worse here than elsewhere, if at all...
    Marcel

    Celcius, Jun 10, 2006
  14. Jan Nademlejnsky

    Jim Sant Guest

    the users started going to the alt.pot newsgroup and then lost interest in
    their hobbies and became listless

    Jim Sant, Jun 10, 2006
  15. Jan Nademlejnsky

    Helen Guest

    Check the figures.
    Canadians are major spammers.
    I see it every day in my inbox.
    I see it every day on Usenet.

    Helen, Jun 10, 2006
  16. Jan Nademlejnsky

    Bill R Guest

    I agree that there is a lot of spam from Canada but I also see a lot
    from overseas countries. Most of those places do not have (or they do
    not enforce) laws that make high volume spam illegal.

    The big problem with Canadian ISPs is if you complain to them you are
    likely to get more spam or, in some cases (it has happened to me three
    times), they will tell you to go f*** yourself.
    --
    Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

    Gardening for over 40 years

    Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL